Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

nissan qashqai mild hybrid

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: nissan qashqai mild hybrid

Postby AF62 » August 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm

jackdaww wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:User replaceable used to mean that you slid the back up or down to release it, pulled the battery off its terminals and put a new one in.

Still does, if you're not an applesucker. :D

Veering vaguely back toward cars, I changed the battery on my old TomTom satnav without any trouble, and I'm thinking of replacing on my current four year old one. Yes, you need the spudger, and yes, you have to break the seal that invalidates your warranty, but it's not the least bit difficult. There are full how-tos on Youtube for most of these devices.

BJ

==========================

whats a spudger ?

A tool wielded by someone thinking "I wonder if this will ever work again"

jackdaww wrote:and whats an applesucker ??

A person who made the correct choice.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 9th, 2021, 3:11 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
AF62 wrote:
It is dead easy for your average iPhone user - walk into an Apple store and hand over £49 or £69 and bingo, done.

Where's the sense of satisfaction in that. :)

The satisfaction is in only handing over a double figure sum to Apple :)

Paul

On another issue, my sister couldn't get her family photos on to the icloud. I know they can scan all uploaded images for child abuse but also now it seems the block people not wearing black polo necks.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 10th, 2021, 7:55 am

scotia wrote:
swill453 wrote:but i wonder how much the national electricity grid has to be upgraded to handle all the oil based power that is currently used on the roads .

is it double ? triple ? DAK ?

Seems not. See https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/jo ... les-busted

The national grid document listed above is a bit over-optimistic on costs

Even though EVs currently have higher purchase prices, they’re cheaper to run – costing much less than petrol or diesel, at as little as 2p per mile if you charge at the right time of day or night. EVs have fewer moving parts too, meaning they should also have lower servicing costs.

This ignores the tax revenue on petrol and diesel sales. What is going to replace it? Currently this is ignored - presumably to speed up the conversion process. And then?[/quote]

Road pricing would seem the fairest way to go and the technology exists to do it. Higher prices charged for high congestion routes, differential pricing during the day to smooth out peaks, seasonal pricing for summer holiday traffic down to Devon and Cornwall.

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 10th, 2021, 9:10 am

redsturgeon wrote:
scotia wrote:
This ignores the tax revenue on petrol and diesel sales. What is going to replace it? Currently this is ignored - presumably to speed up the conversion process. And then?

Road pricing would seem the fairest way to go and the technology exists to do it. Higher prices charged for high congestion routes, differential pricing during the day to smooth out peaks, seasonal pricing for summer holiday traffic down to Devon and Cornwall.

John

The technology exists for road pricing, but the cost of retrofitting it to 39 million or so vehicles would use up many years worth of VED. It might come in eventually as it could be mandated for new cars, but the admin costs and as it requires real time tracking of all vehicles then concerns over data protection and privacy are still major hurdles. It also adds in a large unknown to the cost of motoring as it would be hard to calculate your VED in advance.

Anyway, isn't this week's VED structure a flat rate, with a supplement for cars over £40k? It is a very odd system at first glance, giving virtually no advantage to buying Hybrid over conventional. However it does raise more money from those able to buy more expensive cars, which tend to be more polluting I think I prefer as it avoids the ridiculous skewing towards fiddling the emissions.

Currently it seems ALL BEV are free, but I expect this to change as the alternatives become less available.

Paul

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2021, 10:38 am

https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/economics

A16) The taxes that are most directly linked to motoring are Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Fuel Duty. Latest figures show that in 2019/20, VED generated around £7.0 billion (up £0.3 billion from the previous financial year) and Fuel Duty about £27.6 billion (down about £0.4 billion from the previous financial year.)

Fuel Duty revenue more than tripled between 1987 and 2010. It has since remained around the £27/28 billion level.

These two direct motoring taxes produce just over 4 per cent of all taxes and duties collected in the UK.

So it would be nice to know at what level Road Pricing would be introduced - so that the quote from the National Grid

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/5-myths-about-electric-vehicles-busted

Even though EVs currently have higher purchase prices, they’re cheaper to run – costing much less than petrol or diesel, at as little as 2p per mile if you charge at the right time of day or night.

could be put into a realistic perspective. And that doesn't take into account the cost of Road Price Metering, or the costs of strengthening the electrical distribution system to the home, and/or making it more intelligent to avoid everyone wanting to charge at the same time.

OK - I'm not against Electric cars - indeed at my age I look forward to a self driving electric car which I can summon at will. But should we publicise very low running costs, which are really only possible if the government finds £35 billion a year from some other source.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”