Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

next car - hybrid - mild - full - plugin ?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: next car - hybrid - mild - full - plugin ?

Postby bungeejumper » August 6th, 2021, 2:10 pm

AF62 wrote:Wasn't it Jeep who claimed that their ancient gas guzzling cars were the most environmentally friendly if you considered the whole life of the vehicle, as theirs were still running 50 years after they were made, when something more modern would have been scrapped and replaced many times over in that same period.

Don't know about Jeeps, which have been some of the crappiest, most fall-apart-able cars of my last 40 years' acquaintance. But the best claimants to that title would undoubtedly be either Japanese or, more probably, 1950s American. When's the next plane to Havana?

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm

How about this hybrid.
0-60 in 1.9 seconds
https://newatlas.com/automotive/czinger ... 4-92456261

It even has tandem seating so your wife can be a real back seat driver :)

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 7th, 2021, 5:15 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Both the car and the dealerships I tried were horrific. I lost count of the number of times the transfer box shaft oil seals were replaced. They just always leaked. If the car went in for warranty repair with three faults (it often did), sometimes they were fixed. But there would be at least three more new faults to discover.

Friends of mine bought a new Jeep with all the bells and whistles, and everything electric you could possibly imagine. Just about every damn motor failed during the six years they had had it, and there were few parts of the harness that didn't go open circuit at one time or another. Which was a problem because they had a severely disabled son, for whom roadside breakdowns could turn into 'situations' in double-quick time. They would start saving up three months before the annual MOT was due. And yes, it had rusted through by its fifth birthday.

My bro-in-law had a "special edition" diesel Jeep (2003) which was rarely out of the garage with overheating problems. I forget exactly what went so catastrophically wrong with cylinders 2 and 3, but during one stripdown the dealer called him in and told him that he was varying his speed too often. His engine (I kid you not) had been designed for marine use, not for cars, and it was built for long distances at long lazy speeds, and unfortunately that just wasn't how Wales was designed. :lol: Bro-in-law did tend to drive rancho-style, though, and his cars did hit a lot of rocks in their lives. But his ex-army Land-Rover (with proper bullet holes :) ) soaked up the punishment while the gee-whiz kid from across the water basically folded up, one panel at a time.

Eventually he gave up and bought an old petrol Grand Cherokee for £800, which was a gamble since it had (allegedly) started life at £48K. And it lasted him for several years, thus proving that not everybody can be unlucky all of the time. When scrappy time finally came, he got £800 for the number plate. No, it hadn't fallen off. Yet. ;)

BJ

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 7th, 2021, 5:17 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
AF62 wrote:Wasn't it Jeep who claimed that their ancient gas guzzling cars were the most environmentally friendly if you considered the whole life of the vehicle, as theirs were still running 50 years after they were made, when something more modern would have been scrapped and replaced many times over in that same period.

Don't know about Jeeps, which have been some of the crappiest, most fall-apart-able cars of my last 40 years' acquaintance. But the best claimants to that title would undoubtedly be either Japanese or, more probably, 1950s American. When's the next plane to Havana?

BJ

Curious to read that. I had always fancied a traditionally built Jeep Cherokee and when the end of line run out 60th anniversary models were released I thought "last opportunity to buy an iconic Jeep". On paper, a terrific car. VM diesel, leather and electric everything etc.

Both the car and the dealerships I tried were horrific. I lost count of the number of times the transfer box shaft oil seals were replaced. They just always leaked. If the car went in for warranty repair with three faults (it often did), sometimes they were fixed. But there would be at least three more new faults to discover. The bodywork was assembled and painted by a blind man, it was going rusty. After 18 months of utter despair I swapped it in a straight swap for Skoda Octavia Turbo Diesel Estate. One of the best cars I ever had. I don't think the Skoda dealer ever forgot that transaction.

The Jeep? I have never, ever been so disappointed in my life.

RVF

================================

""On paper, a terrific car. VM diesel, leather and electric everything etc.""

why on earth do you think that would give you reliability ??

:?

Trent

Postby Trent » August 9th, 2021, 12:17 am

Lexus NX hybrid - take a test drive in one.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 9th, 2021, 7:21 am

Trent wrote:Lexus NX hybrid - take a test drive in one.

It is a very nice car...expensive but nice.

John

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 9th, 2021, 7:46 am

9873210 wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
9873210 wrote:
True. If you care about the environment the number that matters is grams of carbon per km. It does not matter which technology is used to get there.

========================

yes .

but are the manufacturers figures trustworthy ?

or are they faked a la volkswagen ?

Possibly not trustworthy, but they are more reliable than badges on the car.

You can look at number from different regulators (e.g. USA, Japan and Europe) and independent organizations that do actual tests (e.g. Which, Consumer reports, Motor Trend etc.) In the end the best you can do is the best you can do.

Beyond trustworthyness, I wonder how applicable tests are to real world driving? Incredible opportunity for pulling the wool over our eyes, even as we do the best we can to decided from what we are allowed to know.

Arb.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 9th, 2021, 8:23 am

Unless the price of new electric cars falls we are likely by 2030 to have a two tier society. Those that can afford a new BEV and live with the incomplete infrastructure that will exist and those who will only be able to afford second hand petrol/ diesel/ older hybrid vehicles. I can t see a complete switch for many, many years without a change to affordability.......think Cuba and 1950's American cars that go on and on forever.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”