Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

VW Emissions Scandal

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

VW Emissions Scandal

Postby Adamski » September 25th, 2021, 6:05 pm

I've been part of a claim since Jan 2017 (along with 90,000 others).

Every so often get an update from the lawyers, but no idea when it will end, what the chances are of success or the value of compensation. They confessed to the cheat software and settled up in the US years ago, so don't understand why our legal system is so slow. The cynic in me says the system is slow to drag things out to maximise lawyers fees.

Anyone have an idea as to timelines or poss. compensation?

marronier
Lemon Slice

Re: VW Emissions Scandal

Postby marronier » September 26th, 2021, 8:53 am

Jarndyce v. Jarndyce and the travails of Miss Flight come to mind . Plus ca change...

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

Adamski wrote:I've been part of a claim since Jan 2017 (along with 90,000 others).

Every so often get an update from the lawyers, but no idea when it will end, what the chances are of success or the value of compensation. They confessed to the cheat software and settled up in the US years ago, so don't understand why our legal system is so slow. The cynic in me says the system is slow to drag things out to maximise lawyers fees.

Anyone have an idea as to timelines or poss. compensation?

As lawyers are generally paid by the hour, it is not a surprise to me that an incredible number of hours are consumed in anything they do.
I thought about joining the Leigh Day action as it appears to be a 'no lose' situation. The legal action is fully funded by 3rd parties so, in theory, us plaintiffs would not be at risk, and Leigh Day is a fairly reputable firm, (I think!)

So the bean counters must have decided there was a strong probability of eventual success or they would not be funding it.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 26th, 2021, 11:06 am

Adamski wrote:Anyone have an idea as to timelines or poss. compensation?

From the Slater+Gordon FAQ* on this case:
When will we receive compensation for this claim and how much are we likely to get?
Unfortunately, we’re unable to provide an exact date of when you are likely to receive compensation for this
claim. However, please see below for a timeframe which will provide more clarity for you.
In relation to how much your claim is worth if the claim is successful, this is a complicated issue and we will be
taking expert advice to assist in us valuing the claim in turn to assist the court. VW’s view is that claimants have
suffered no loss because they have ‘fixed’ the vehicles.We clearly disagree and consider there is a loss worth
pursuing.
Settlements in other jurisdiction have shown that VW is willing to pay money to claimants to bring the litigation
to an end, although they’ve not admitted liability in those proceedings and so the settlements may well reflect
a commercial decision on behalf of the defendants.
Although by no means guaranteed in this claim, settlements in other countries ranged on average from £750 to
£2,500 depending on the make, model, age of the vehicle and we expect, other underlying features which have
not been made public. Cost of funding will needto be deducted following any settlement of this claim.
What is the new date of the Trial?
The Trial date has been set for January 2023 with the trial scheduled to last 12 weeks. This is subject to change.
What do I pay if we lose and what do I pay if we win?
IF YOU WIN:
You should receive about 70% of your award or settlement, before the costs of distribution.
The funder will take a fee. The fee will be either:
• Four times what it has cost to bring the claim, or
• 30% of the money that the group wins, if that is more than an amount equal to the multiple plus the cost
of adverse cost insurance, plus the return of the funding the funder has expended
Above a certain settlement threshold, therefore, you should receive about 70% of any award or settlement. To some
extent, our ability to deliver returns at this level will depend on the ultimate size of the claimant group.
We think the fee will be 30% (after the amount of the funding), but it might be more than that if we recover less
than we expect to or if the group is small and the funder has to spend a substantial amount of money. The outcome
will also depend on the quality of the legal arguments, and the evidence in the case.
If you win, the Solicitors’ success fees under the CFA will reduce the funder’s fee (rather than you being subject to a
separate additional success fee).
You will not need to pay anything if the amount you win is less than the fee.

IF YOU LOSE:
You pay nothing.
We will not charge you for our time or the costs we have incurred on your behalf.
Usually in litigation the winning party will be entitled to recover their costs from the losing party, but Volkswagen’s
costs will be covered by the funder’s indemnity insurance.

VRD

*https://f.datasrvr.com/fr1/321/39527/June_2021_FAQ.pdf

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”