Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Changing headlight bulbs on 2011 Fiesta

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Changing headlight bulbs on 2011 Fiesta

Postby raybarrow » November 12th, 2021, 9:43 am

Hi Folks,
After a miserable journey the other night, Motorway, some parts unlit, rain, spray etc and with winter approaching I am looking at upgrading my lights. Halogen to a brighter halogen. Not looking to go down the LED route.
Youtube shows it to be a 'reasonably' easy job removing the headlight unit. I did do a lot of my own repairs when I was a lot younger so am not unfamiliar with things but age catches up with you.
Halfords would appear to charge me £8 to fit a bulb so with 2 heads and 2 dipped I'm looking at £32.

Has anybody done this themsels and is it a straightforward as it seems?

Cheers,
Ray.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Changing headlight bulbs on 2011 Fiesta

Postby redsturgeon » November 12th, 2021, 9:49 am

If you are a small person with slim arms and double jointed wrists and elbows it can be quite easy...for the rest of us though it can be a right pain.

John

Edit. Actually doesnt look too bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNe1zdTadjc

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 12th, 2021, 10:35 am

raybarrow wrote:Has anybody done this themsels and is it a straightforward as it seems?

Some years ago, although not on a Fiesta.

To be honest I didn't find the difference between the standard bulbs and the 'upgraded' bulbs to be that dramatic as they still need to comply with the regulations - although I did find the main difference is that because they are pushed to their limits they fail quicker than normal bulbs.

If you do change them, then I would suggest just changing the dip beam bulbs as that was where there was the most noticeable difference.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 12th, 2021, 11:09 am

Hi AF62,
Good point point about just changing the dipped beam bulbs.
I could change the bulbs on my Astra, without having to dismantle anything and Mrs B 2013 Ka looks to super easy, I may regret saying that!
Ray.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 12th, 2021, 3:32 pm

A popular option is to install a pair of Osram Nightbreakers. The same wattage as a conventional headlamp bulb, but they burn brighter. https://www.nightbreaker.co.uk/night-breaker-200?

The reason they burn brighter is that they also burn hotter. (Dammit, there's always a catch, isn't there? :lol: ) Some people say they get five years' life out of Nightbreakers, while others find that 18 months is par for the course. If you don't do an awful lot of night driving, they might be worth considering.

But would I let a Halfords monkey do a job on my car? :?

BJ

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 16th, 2021, 10:06 am

Hi,
But would I let a Halfords monkey do a job on my car? :?

Well NO and YES.
I booked to have the headlamp bulbs fitted at at local Halesowen Halfords Autocentre. Arrived at the appointed time. Nowhere to park, two mechanics down. "OK, there's a McDonals down the road give me a ring when it's done". An hour, coffee and a read later I thought I'd better see what was happening.
The mechanic is just about to do the job. I happened to mention that I was having the brighter bulbs because of the unlit motorway juorney etc. etc.
The man in reception qickly dissappeared into the workshop to return. Apparently the paperwork hadn't specified brighter bulbs, even though I had paid on-line for them, and they didn't have any in. I cancelled the job and they arranged a refund.

Went to the Olbury Halfords thinking I'll get the bulbs and have a go myself. Guy on the till asked if I wanted them fitting. "Yes, if you can do it now". No problem, he came out himself, he was a mechanic, and took about 5 minutes while I watched. He did it with out removing the headlamp units, just undid the screws and 'manouvered' them a bit.
So a wasted morning at the Halesowen Halfords Autocentre and a refreshing bit of customert service at the Oldbury Halfords. As a company I couldn't recommend them but as an individual sales assistant yes I could. This is what I dislike about companies. You should get the same level of service and I know thats naive. Still I now know how to change the bulbs for next time.
Ray.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 16th, 2021, 9:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:But would I let a Halfords monkey do a job on my car? :?

BJ

Halford fitted new tyres to the Avensis. They left the locking wheelnut key on the passenger seat for me, with one of the nuts still in it.

Still, it was pretty easy to work out where it should ge.

Paul

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » November 16th, 2021, 11:15 pm

I changed the headlight bulb a couple of time (note to self, don't buy cheap Home Bargains h/l bulbs). Its pretty easy if you follow the youtube video. You have to fiddle about to get the headlight back into the body. Genuine grade 1 home repair.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 17th, 2021, 7:52 am

Hi,
Its pretty easy if you follow the youtube video. You have to fiddle about to get the headlight back into the body.

With some jobs it's easy to temporarily 'disable' your car, (my "Just give me a call" mechanic, who lived a few roads away, retired) other jobs make no real difference if they don't go quite according to plan. That 'fiddling about bit' is the thing I wanted to see in real time (no pausing the video while we get the **^%%$ thing sorted). Now I've seen it done I'm confident about changing bulbs myself.

Cheers,
Ray.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2021, 8:46 am

airbus330 wrote:I changed the headlight bulb a couple of time (note to self, don't buy cheap Home Bargains h/l bulbs).

Not just Home Bargains, unfortunately. :( I've had some very short-lived 'unbranded' bulbs over the years from those little car spares shops that used to be on every high street, before Halfords and Amazon drove them all out of business. A pity really.....

Remember the time when those little shops were a spannerer's best friend? Especially on a Sunday morning when everywhere else was closed? :) But as we all stopped using our spanners, they became the domain of fast boys modding their little black Corsas, and then they disappeared completely. Mind you, if they weren't selling such crap bulbs they might still be in business!
Its pretty easy if you follow the youtube video. You have to fiddle about to get the headlight back into the body. Genuine grade 1 home repair.

Depends on the car, I think. I'd like to think that no car will ever be designed with quite such user-unfriendly headlights as my 2002 Mk1 Focus, where you needed to be a left-handed midget with extra-sensory perception to change the offside bulb. (Or, alternatively, to know where you could borrow a five year old with small enough fingers. :? ) All of our more recent cars have been much simpler, thank goodness. Mind you, none of them have had HIDs, which I believe are a special kind of pig because they're so bulky. I've heard of cars where you have to start the bulb change by removing the wheel arch liner, and then pull the bumper away. :lol:

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 19th, 2021, 8:44 am

As luck would have it, reading this thread has caused one of the headlight bulbs in my Honda to fail. :D

Fortunately a simple large cap on the back of the headlight unscrews to allow easy access. 30 seconds and the job was done.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 20th, 2021, 6:30 am

redsturgeon wrote:As luck would have it, reading this thread has caused one of the headlight bulbs in my Honda to fail. :D

Fortunately a simple large cap on the back of the headlight unscrews to allow easy access. 30 seconds and the job was done.

John

That's the same in our Scooby
- takes longer to remove a bulb from the plastic display wrapping than to install it

The side/parking lights though...
step 1: Remove the plastic rivets under the front grill
step 2: Remove the front grill
step 3: Decide it can wait till the next service... Open beer

-sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 20th, 2021, 9:24 am

And of course the headlight bulbs only fail when you need to use them, so that inevitably means trying to change it in the dark on a freezing cold winter evening with your fingers numb and working by torchlight, so the car can used the next morning.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”