Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Prosecution regulations tightened on the use of hand-held mobile phones at the wheel.

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Prosecution regulations tightened on the use of hand-held mobile phones at the wheel.

Postby brightncheerful » November 19th, 2021, 11:05 am

[url]https://www.gov.uk/government/news/any-use-of-hand-held-mobile-phone-while-driving-to-become-illegal?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=0e3234fa-62aa-4996-b118-3c89ad0e5834&utm_content=immediately
[/url]

Currently I use a wired USB to connect my iphone (for Apple Maps) to the sat-sat display on the car console. The phone is either on the passenger seat when no passenger or usually in the compartment under the console. Would you think the revised legislation means I shall have to get a cradle for the phone?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Prosecution regulations tightened on the use of hand-held mobile phones at the wheel.

Postby swill453 » November 19th, 2021, 11:13 am

If your use of it means you pick it up while not parked* then that will become illegal.

* parked means engine off and parking brake on.

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Prosecution regulations tightened on the use of hand-held mobile phones at the wheel.

Postby DrFfybes » November 19th, 2021, 1:17 pm

You can use it "hands free", so I suspect that if you only use the interface built into the car screen then that would be legal.

I'm not saying it is any safer, in fact I personally think touchscreens and menu driven interfaces in cars should be disabled once the vehicle is moving.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2021, 2:52 pm

swill453 wrote:If your use of it means you pick it up while not parked* then that will become illegal.

Scott.

Strangely enough that is almost an exact description of my car stopped at traffic lights. The engine switches off and the parking brake engages. I do nothing, not even a foot on the brake pedal.

Dod
Last edited by Dod101 on November 19th, 2021, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2021, 2:54 pm

DrFfybes wrote:You can use it "hands free", so I suspect that if you only use the interface built into the car screen then that would be legal.

I'm not saying it is any safer, in fact I personally think touchscreens and menu driven interfaces in cars should be disabled once the vehicle is moving.

Paul

My phone is connected by bluetooth to the car system. All I do is touch a button on the steering wheel. Mind you, I still think that that is distracting.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 19th, 2021, 3:25 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Currently I use a wired USB to connect my iphone (for Apple Maps) to the sat-sat display on the car console. The phone is either on the passenger seat when no passenger or usually in the compartment under the console. Would you think the revised legislation means I shall have to get a cradle for the phone?

No, because many cars (like mine) offer wireless charging if you place them on a certain place in the console and requiring you to not use that but to buy and fit it into a cradle each time would be absurd.

However... if you wanted to be certain that you didn't fall foul of the 'Constable Savage' mentality which unfortunately is still prevalent in some parts of the police force, then putting it in a cradle might avoid a false accusation where it is your word against theirs and the courts always believe them.

If you were using the phone display itself for satnav then it is probably wise to get a cradle fitted, even if it is not needed (e.g. you have it in that same console but just use the voice navigation).

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:
swill453 wrote:If your use of it means you pick it up while not parked* then that will become illegal.

Scott.

Strangely enough that is almost an exact description of my car stopped at traffic lights. The engine switches off and the parking brake engages. I do nothing, not even a foot on the brake pedal.

Dod

Although we have yet to see the actual regulations or Highway Code changes, the announcement mentioned in the OP includes this

Following the public consultation, the government will revise The Highway Code to explain the new measures. It will also be more precise about the fact that being stationary in traffic counts as driving, making it clear that hand-held mobile phone use at traffic lights or in motorway jams is illegal except in very limited circumstances.

So it seems likely that engine off, parking brake on won't be enough if you are at lights or in a jam...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2021, 4:30 pm

chas49 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Scott.

Dod

Although we have yet to see the actual regulations or Highway Code changes, the announcement mentioned in the OP includes this

Following the public consultation, the government will revise The Highway Code to explain the new measures. It will also be more precise about the fact that being stationary in traffic counts as driving, making it clear that hand-held mobile phone use at traffic lights or in motorway jams is illegal except in very limited circumstances.

So it seems likely that engine off, parking brake on won't be enough if you are at lights or in a jam...

I agree that that would not be logical but I cannot understand the obsession with mobile phones anyway. I was in the dentist's waiting room last week and there were at one time three others there as well as me(all socially distanced) All three were doing something with their mobiles. I leave mine in my car as I would have no idea what to do with it. What are they doing? The same thing on trains.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 19th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Dod101 wrote:I was in the dentist's waiting room last week and there were at one time three others there as well as me(all socially distanced) All three were doing something with their mobiles. I leave mine in my car as I would have no idea what to do with it. What are they doing? The same thing on trains.

One of them would have been catching up with Wotsit, or FatFace, or Twizzle. Another would be passing the time intelligently on TLF. The third one would have been me, frantically trying to work out how to turn the bloody sound off. :D

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”