Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Car trickle chargers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Car trickle chargers

Postby MyNameIsUrl » November 21st, 2021, 5:29 pm

I'd always been a bit sceptical about trickle chargers which were said to be safe to leave connected indefinitely, pessimistically believing that something would go wrong with either the battery or the charger.

However, I've recently been to the house of a friend who has been overseas since before the start of the pandemic and he has left two cars on trickle chargers since summer 2019. There were no apparent issues with either car or either charger. Both chargers were operational and both cars started first time. So now I'd be more confident if I were in a situation where I wanted to leave a car on charge.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Car trickle chargers

Postby AF62 » November 21st, 2021, 6:10 pm

Handy to use with a trickle charger are these indicators - https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... -eyelet-m8

You permanently connect it to the battery and then when the car is parked up for storage you can leave the indicator visible. Then only if the indicator does show that the battery needs charging do you connect it (plugging it in through this indicator lead).

Not only does it mean you don’t have to leave the car charging unnecessarily, if you have several cars which might need monitoring, it is possible to share the charger between them.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

I have been using CTEK charger permanently connected to my classic car for the last 20 years with no issues.
There are a few variants for 12v batteries - One will keep a charged battery topped up, others will charge a flat battery, others will recondition batteries, others will maintain an AGM battery - Most will do combinations of the above.

Highly recommended.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 21st, 2021, 10:57 pm

Bikers use trickle chargers all the time and have been doing so for years. My Optimate 4 is connected whenever I'm not using the Bonnie.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » November 22nd, 2021, 7:24 am

I've used Optimate chargers for the past 20 years on cars, motorcycles and jetskis. Connect them, switch on and leave them to do all the hard work for you. Brilliant devices, highly recommended.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”