Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Petrol and diesel prices reach new record high

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Petrol and diesel prices reach new record high

Postby Dod101 » April 10th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Just put 2200 litres in my oil tank - 83p a litre. Last year I managed to fill it at 20p!

Costing more to charge the BEV too :o

On 8 March I paid 70p for 1000 litres. I thought that was expensive so only 1000 hoping that when I next need to buy more the price will have dropped!
That 1000 will keep me going until September/October with a bit of luck. And it was only less than 18 months ago that I was paying 29p

Dod

I've just checked too and I paid 26p a litre on 19/10/20, then on 7/2/22, 66p a litre.

I get through about 1,500 litres a year and I don't try to economise in any way. I'm expecting the 500 litres I bought in Feb to last me until September too, so I'd guess my hovel is a lot smaller than yours!

Well I cannot comment on the size of our establishments but I use getting on for about 3000 litres a year. This summer I am resolved to get my loft insulation checked and probably increased. My real problem in heating my house is that it is spread out on one level. No doubt a two story house is easier to heat.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 13th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Why is UK Gov looking at if the 5p fuel duty cut is being passed on
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61783514

At the end of March when it was brought in I paid £1.66 for diesel
It's now around £1.90
5p is hardly worth it, it needs to be 25p :roll:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2022, 2:03 pm

pje16 wrote:Why is UK Gov looking at if the 5p fuel duty cut is being passed on
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61783514

At the end of March when it was brought in I paid £1.66 for diesel
It's now around £1.90
5p is hardly worth it, it needs to be 25p :roll:

I think for the private motorist, increasing the price of fuel is good because too many of us take our cars out without really thinking about it. If we had to plan our journeys a bit more carefully, bought smaller cars, or changed to electric that would all help. The problem is for trucks and even then there is a huge amount of waste I suspect. I do not for instance have to have my goods ordered from Amazon delivered the following day and as I have said before I have had two deliveries from Amazon on the same day occasionally.

And the government would just be putting profit into the hands of the retailer or at least someone in the chain if the 5p cut is not being passed on. That seems fairly obvious to me, and that is why the UK Government is looking at it. 5p per litre saves me more than £3 to fill my tank. Thank you very much, that is a worthwhile saving to me.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 13th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think for the private motorist, increasing the price of fuel is good because too many of us take our cars out without really thinking about it.
Dod

I use my car as I need it, I dont just drive it "round the block for fun"
We are all different
I'm just glad I don't have to use it for work, there are many people who have to

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 13th, 2022, 3:11 pm

pje16 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I think for the private motorist, increasing the price of fuel is good because too many of us take our cars out without really thinking about it.
Dod

We are all different
I'm just glad I don't have to use it for work, there are many people who have to

I'm with Dod on this. If I walk past our local schools at the wrong time of day, there are queues everywhere as parents try to get in (and then out again) to drop off or collect their little darling. Cars are used because they are convenient, not because they are necessary. People will "pop out" to the shops, and then go again the next day simply because they couldn't be bothered to think ahead. I see dog walkers drive their pets to a local park - and I know where they live, as I walk past their house with my own dog, heading to the same park!

There will always be exceptions, but most people really do have a choice as to whether to drive or use an alternative form of transport, or even whether their trip is actually necessary. Even shopping can be done without a car - one just has to do it a little more frequently, or use the car for the heavy stuff bought monthly, whilst not using the car for weekly or intra-week trips.

For people who have no choice, this is painful. But if we (as a species) are going to ween ourselves off of fossil fuel, then higher fuel prices have to be a good thing, forcing a bit more pace in the transition.

I'm getting all nostalgic for the fuel protests* back at the beginning of the century, when fuel was 80p a litre...

VRD

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2022, 3:26 pm

pje16 wrote:
Dod

We are all different

I understand that and I try to do the same, but I have just recently discovered that if I plan my trip to my nearest shopping centre (17 miles away) I need go there only say once a week rather than three times. It is difficult to make the sort of comment I have without seeming to be 'getting at' individuals but I am not. My view is based on my feelings of how society treats their cars and how we could all save fuel if we had to. On my local highway, I now drive at about 65 mph and that increases my MPG by almost 20% (instead of driving at 73/5) and yet many people driving cars pass me at quite a margin. They could be saving fuel as well because often enough, I catch up with them when they are sitting behind a couple of trucks, overtaking or going up a hill. Only by increased pricing can people eventually see the nonsense of speeding.

Dod

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » June 13th, 2022, 3:45 pm

vrdiver wrote:[If I walk past our local schools at the wrong time of day, there are queues everywhere as parents try to get in (and then out again) to drop off or collect their little darling. Cars are used because they are convenient, not because they are necessary.

We used to send our eldest daughter to school on the school bus. This has been downsized and is now oversubscribed. We are unable to get tickets. The local councillor has said he can't get any useful answers out of the council.
If we could send our daughters on the school bus we would, even though the cost is comparable for one child, so double for two. If we were strapped for cash we would be forced to drive them to school to save money, even if tickets were available.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 13th, 2022, 5:52 pm

tsr2 wrote:
vrdiver wrote:[If I walk past our local schools at the wrong time of day, there are queues everywhere as parents try to get in (and then out again) to drop off or collect their little darling. Cars are used because they are convenient, not because they are necessary.

We used to send our eldest daughter to school on the school bus. This has been downsized and is now oversubscribed. We are unable to get tickets. The local councillor has said he can't get any useful answers out of the council.
If we could send our daughters on the school bus we would, even though the cost is comparable for one child, so double for two. If we were strapped for cash we would be forced to drive them to school to save money, even if tickets were available.

As I said, there will always be exceptions. In your case, is it worth asking the school to survey the kids, to see who would use a bus if it were available, and then present the findings to the council? Failing that, you could ask your MP to intervene, or even (as my sister did) organise a car share with other local parents whose children are making the exact same journey, at the exact same time...

(I appreciate you may have thought of all of the above, and more, before dismissing each one as impractical.)

VRD

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 13th, 2022, 8:04 pm

vrdiver wrote:
tsr2 wrote:

As I said, there will always be exceptions. In your case, is it worth asking the school to survey the kids, to see who would use a bus if it were available, and then present the findings to the council? Failing that, you could ask your MP to intervene, or even (as my sister did) organise a car share with other local parents whose children are making the exact same journey, at the exact same time...

(I appreciate you may have thought of all of the above, and more, before dismissing each one as impractical.)

VRD

Been there, done that.

In our case, the School bus was also a public service bus. Even though as parents, we had bought a week's ticket for five return journeys, that did not give priory to the students or guarantee them a place on the bus. And no refunds either!

So, as VRD suggests, we parents arranged a car share system to guarantee transport each day. And as a serendipitous side effect, the parents saved the cost of what had become extortionate bus fares.

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 15th, 2022, 12:45 pm

I had to fill up my car today for the first time for a while. Tesco was giving the stuff away, the cheapest in town (I checked around) A mere 177.9 per litre. For the first time in my life I hit the £99 limit and then had to put my card in again to complete the fill up! Is this a joke? All true I'm afraid.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 15th, 2022, 12:59 pm

if you have a costco card (membership required)
at Watford - my nearest one today
petrol 172.9
diesel 181.7

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 15th, 2022, 2:19 pm

You could sign up for this and find petrol prices in your area......
https://www.petrolmap.co.uk

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 15th, 2022, 2:31 pm

richlist wrote:You could sign up for this and find petrol prices in your area......

I can't even read the T&Cs on that one without a pop-up, asking me to sign-up, in blocking them
this one doesn't that
I have used this one for years
https://app.petrolprices.com/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 15th, 2022, 5:01 pm

richlist wrote:You could sign up for this and find petrol prices in your area......

Yes thanks, have done, the one from pie I think. The nearest Costco for me is 50 miles away.

Dod

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » June 16th, 2022, 8:49 am

I managed to fill up on unleaded at 164.9p a litre - on the Isle of Man! Apparently it always takes a while for them to catch up with prices in the UK. I'm back in the UK now, the prices here were a bit of a shock.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 16th, 2022, 9:31 am

Is VAT charged on petrol/diesel in IOM ?....they are independent from the UK for personal taxation....what about VAT ?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 16th, 2022, 9:47 am

AFAIK they have 20% VAT
their own tax system, with diiferent rates from the UK
https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-a ... llowances/

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 16th, 2022, 1:11 pm

richlist wrote:Is VAT charged on petrol/diesel in IOM ?....they are independent from the UK for personal taxation....what about VAT ?

The Isle of Man has a VAT system under their own legislation, but which generally mirrors the UK VAT system.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... /viom01000

The IOM rates are similar although the IOM does have different rates for some specific things such as maintenance and repair of domestic property -

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 2nd, 2022, 12:40 pm

long may it continue
On 5 July diesel at my local Costco was 1.897
today it is 1.759
Strange times when we look at that as being cheap

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 2nd, 2022, 12:44 pm