Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Check your MoT status please!

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Check your MoT status please!

Postby MonsterMork » April 27th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Yes folks, time for me to bang on about MoT's again :roll:

Courtesy of the MoT extension brought in for lockdown 1 two years ago I am now seeing vehicles late for their test. It seems that some 13 out of the last 20 tests I have done this month were late, from a just few days, through several weeks, then 3 months, to in one case some 8 months late! :shock:

It ain't hard people! You can check your Mot and Road Tax status online courtesy of one of the few bits of gubmint IT that actually seem to work quite well:

MoT history here:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

And MoT and Road Tax here:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en

MM

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Check your MoT status please!

Postby redsturgeon » April 27th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Hi MM,

I'd value your opinion on the government plans to change the MOT to every two years. Is it practical or safe?

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
It ain't hard people!

You can check your Mot and Road Tax status online courtesy of one of the few bits of gubmint IT that actually seem to work quite well:

MoT history here:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

And MoT and Road Tax here:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en

The Government also provide a text and email MOT reminder service, which can be a helpful belt-and-braces nudge -

When you sign up you’ll get a reminder:

• one month before your car, van or motorcycle MOT is due
  • 2 months before your lorry, bus or large trailer MOT is due

Before you start, you need -

• the vehicle’s number plate (registration number)
  • a mobile phone number or email address

You’ll get an annual reminder a month before your MOT is due, and again 2 weeks later if you don’t have your MOT yet.

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 27th, 2022, 2:35 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Hi MM,

I'd value your opinion on the government plans to change the MOT to every two years. Is it practical or safe?

John

It probably says something that two-year MOTs have been proposed 4 times in the last 15 years and yet never happened...

It's a classic example of government floating an idea which is unlikely to ever happen, just to distract from other things that are going on.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 27th, 2022, 2:49 pm

John

Is it practical - I can see that it would lead to even more people forgetting that an MOT is due - I can remember it is due in January, but if you now ask me *which* January…

And then is it practical for MOT stations to halve their income, and likely the service and repair income to halve as well.

Is it safe - Sure for the vast majority of cars it won’t make any difference, but the real purpose of the MOT is to identify serious faults and if you let those go another year then…

There does seem to have been expansion in what the MOT covers over the years, so I could see an argument for an alternate year full check with an every year cut down safety check. But would that save any money; probably not.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 27th, 2022, 2:57 pm

MOT testing in Spain is every 2 years and seems to work OK there. We also get a sticker on our windscreen showing the date of the next test.

My only concern with moving to 2 year testing is that items like brake pads & disks that might last another year may fail the test because they won't last 2 years.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » April 27th, 2022, 2:58 pm

AF62 wrote:And then is it practical for MOT stations to halve their income, and likely the service and repair income to halve as well.

Maybe not - I see many ex-service stations that now seem to be basically MOT services.

But half the repair and service income? That would suggest they are currently carrying out unnecessary work?

Years ago I had a friend who liked his garage, but was convinced that they had to find some fault every time they did an MOT. He used to block one of the nozzles on his screen wash with soap (edit: the solid variety). After the MOT the mechanics would point out that he had failed due to a faulty nozzle. He then produced a pin and poked it in, clearing the soap out the way, and drove away.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 27th, 2022, 3:08 pm

NotSure wrote:
AF62 wrote:And then is it practical for MOT stations to halve their income, and likely the service and repair income to halve as well.

Maybe not - I see many ex-service stations that now seem to be basically MOT services.

But half the repair and service income? That would suggest they are currently carrying out unnecessary work?

Some undoubtedly are, but some people also only take their car to be serviced or have any work done if it needs it for the MOT. With MOTs every two years those cars would only see a garage every two years.

NotSure wrote:Years ago I had a friend who liked his garage, but was convinced that they had to find some fault every time they did an MOT. He used to block one of the nozzles on his screen wash with soap (edit: the solid variety). After the MOT the mechanics would point out that he had failed due to a faulty nozzle. He then produced a pin and poked it in, clearing the soap out the way, and drove away.

So if the car failed the MOT because of a blocked nozzle then surely he would have failed the MOT and would need to get it booked in for a retest - and if the garage didn’t fail him but just advised him, knowing what he was like, then they were daft.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » April 27th, 2022, 6:53 pm

richlist wrote:My only concern with moving to 2 year testing is that items like brake pads & disks that might last another year may fail the test because they won't last 2 years.

Does the MoT really cover inspection of pads and disks for wear level? I thought it was concerned only with braking efficiency.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 27th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:

John

It probably says something that two-year MOTs have been proposed 4 times in the last 15 years and yet never happened...

It's a classic example of government floating an idea which is unlikely to ever happen, just to distract from other things that are going on.

I agree. No politician is ever going to allow themselves to be seen supporting a "reduction in safety", therefore there must be an ulterior motive.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 27th, 2022, 7:14 pm

quelquod wrote:
richlist wrote:My only concern with moving to 2 year testing is that items like brake pads & disks that might last another year may fail the test because they won't last 2 years.

Does the MoT really cover inspection of pads and disks for wear level? I thought it was concerned only with braking efficiency.

I'm pretty sure it won't. As long as it passes the dynamic tests and there's nothing obviously and visibly wrong or worn out that would be it. But I'm also fairly sure that the mot is the point many of these things get highlighted because they're unfit too.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 27th, 2022, 7:56 pm

quelquod wrote:Does the MoT really cover inspection of pads and disks for wear level? I thought it was concerned only with braking efficiency.

Yes, the pads and disks are inspected too, with advisories issued if appropriate. Here's one of mine from a few years back (disks replaced now).

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

See sections 1.1.13 and 1.1.14 here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... ion-1-1-13

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » April 27th, 2022, 8:17 pm

AF62 wrote:
So if the car failed the MOT because of a blocked nozzle then surely he would have failed the MOT and would need to get it booked in for a retest - and if the garage didn’t fail him but just advised him, knowing what he was like, then they were daft.

I've not had a car for years now, but back then retests were free so long as the garage got to carry out the necessary work. It's likely just a faintly amusing anecdote on his part (people can be very serious around here) but I agree, it would not likely work more than once.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 27th, 2022, 9:05 pm

NotSure wrote:
AF62 wrote:

I've not had a car for years now, but back then retests were free so long as the garage got to carry out the necessary work. It's likely just a faintly amusing anecdote on his part (people can be very serious around here) but I agree, it would not likely work more than once.

It worked once!

If I was the garage and someone pulled that stunt then the only available slots for the retest would be in a week and at the most inconvenient time - and then mysteriously the car would fail on something else that had apparently deteriorated in that time.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 27th, 2022, 11:46 pm

richlist wrote:MOT testing in Spain is every 2 years and seems to work OK there. We also get a sticker on our windscreen showing the date of the next test.

My only concern with moving to 2 year testing is that items like brake pads & disks that might last another year may fail the test because they won't last 2 years.

Spain seems a far more resilient nation.

ISTR the safe alcohol consumption level in Spain is 35 units a week. Compared to pathetic British livers that can only cope with 14 units a week.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 27th, 2022, 11:50 pm

AF62 wrote:
NotSure wrote:
AF62 wrote:

It worked once!

If I was the garage and someone pulled that stunt then the only available slots for the retest would be in a week and at the most inconvenient time - and then mysteriously the car would fail on something else that had apparently deteriorated in that time.

surely the point of the soap trick is that it proved his concern they were looking for anything to fail it on when a very simple check would have cleared the blockage and it would have passed. So he wont go back there again., but to another garage. That was my reading of the story anyway!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 28th, 2022, 8:35 am

richlist wrote:

Eh?

AIUI, the test is whether the brakes work on the day of the test, not whether the tester judges there is another year (or two years) of life left in the brakes.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 8:40 am

Mike4 wrote:AIUI, the test is whether the brakes work on the day of the test

and that goes for everything else on the car
ie no good trying to defend a failed bulb, for example, with your MOT certificate, the day after

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 28th, 2022, 8:46 am

pje16 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:AIUI, the test is whether the brakes work on the day of the test

and that goes for everything else on the car
ie no good trying to defend a failed bulb, for example, with your MOT certificate, the day after

Yes but they give advisories on things that that need watching such as wear to brakes and tyres and corrosion.

John

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 28th, 2022, 9:17 am

didds wrote:
AF62 wrote:
NotSure wrote:
AF62 wrote:

It worked once!

surely the point of the soap trick is that it proved his concern they were looking for anything to fail it on when a very simple check would have cleared the blockage and it would have passed. So he wont go back there again., but to another garage. That was my reading of the story anyway!

But the MOT tester isn't required (or permitted?) to fix any faults - it passes or it doesn't. You pay them for carrying out the test and not repairing the car; the car which someone has deliberately broken.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”