Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Check your MoT status please!

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Check your MoT status please!

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 9:24 am

AF62 wrote:But the MOT tester isn't required (or permitted?) to fix any faults - it passes or it doesn't. You pay them for carrying out the test and not repairing the car; the car which someone has deliberately broken.

Not always true
I got a fail last year and a pass given to me at the same time
The self levelling headlights were out of alignment (the much maligned) Kwif-fit tester just fixed it on the spot - no charge

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 28th, 2022, 9:39 am

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:But the MOT tester isn't required (or permitted?) to fix any faults - it passes or it doesn't. You pay them for carrying out the test and not repairing the car; the car which someone has deliberately broken.

Not always true
I got a fail last year and a pass given to me at the same time
The self levelling headlights were out of alignment (the much maligned) Kwif-fit tester just fixed it on the spot - no charge

There is a difference between someone choosing to do something free of charge and someone expecting something to be done for them free of charge - you had a tester who was the former and didds seemed to have an acquaintance who was the latter - and in addition expected the tester to fix something they had deliberately broken free of charge.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 28th, 2022, 9:43 am

What pje16 said. There was a time, long long ago, when your garage would give the car a visual once-over, and then quietly replace a failed bulb or an iffy wiper blade, or even a tyre, before it started the test. It seemed so elegantly simple at the time. A bit more recently, as I recall, the wiper blade would cause a recorded fail, then they'd replace it and immediately do the test again, and away you'd go at lunchtime with your new MOT certificate.

However, advisory items do give the testing stations some room for getting a few additional jobs onto the schedule. Some years ago, I had an advisory about thinning brake pads and failing discs which would need replacing within a couple of months. Which worried me a bit, since I was heading off for a long trip. :| I got an urgent appointment at my local tyres-and-brakes place, which said that my discs were almost perfect and that my brakes were good for another couple of years. I invited them to change the pads anyway. They said there was no need, and no charge for the inspection. Honest fellows.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 28th, 2022, 10:26 am

AF62 wrote:and didds seemed to have an acquaintance who was the latter.

The acquaintance was whoever posted in this thread :-)

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 28th, 2022, 10:41 am

bungeejumper wrote:There was a time, long long ago, when your garage would give the car a visual once-over, and then quietly replace a failed bulb or an iffy wiper blade, or even a tyre, before it started the test. It seemed so elegantly simple at the time. A bit more recently, as I recall, the wiper blade would cause a recorded fail, then they'd replace it and immediately do the test again, and away you'd go at lunchtime with your new MOT certificate.
BJ

Still the case for me ... Id say it must be where we live, but BJ isn't a million miles away from me ...

Maybe its my unfeasibly friendly face?

didds

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 28th, 2022, 11:11 am

I always book my cars in for a service and an MOT test on the same day. I expect the garage to test, fix & charge me for anything that needs doing and I don't then expect it to fail the MOT test. Long gone are the days when I got my hands dirty fixing cars.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 28th, 2022, 11:46 am

Two of our cars are due.

One of them is now old enough that it has no need. I think I shall arrange a Not The MOT so it is still inspected, but I can decide what to do about the findings.

As I generally do my own servicing the MOT is a time for renewing acquaintance with the nice chaps at the garage who have on occasions been very helpful, and I would not like to stretch that to two years.

V8 (PS, discs & pads... no one inspects brake shoes...)

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 28th, 2022, 12:04 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Hi MM,

I'd value your opinion on the government plans to change the MOT to every two years. Is it practical or safe?

John

No. And No.

About three years ago or so this two-year testing cobblers was mooted and investigated by gubmint, and the trade (and others with a remit covering transport and road safety) kicked up a proper poop-storm and the minister responsible quietly shelved the idea having been given a right roasting. The minister responsible at the time? The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, Secretary of State for Transport. Who coincidentally happens to be the same Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP who is, you guessed it, still Secretary of State for Transport. :roll:

MM

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 28th, 2022, 12:17 pm

quelquod wrote:Does the MoT really cover inspection of pads and disks for wear level? I thought it was concerned only with braking efficiency.

Yes, discs and pads are inspected for wear, and passed, passed and advised, or failed accordingly. Brake shoes in drum brakes are assessed for wear only where there is a wear indicator fitted, which hasn't been seen on cars since the late 1970's/very early 1980's, although can still be found on some buses and trucks.

Having unworn/light wear (so no advisory) brakes is no guarantee that they pass the braking efficiency test. Indeed we have today replaced a defective set of pads and discs for a customer under warranty - despite them having only been fitted (by us) 6 months ago, and showing virtually no wear, they are proper stuffed to the extent that the brake pedal pulses like a person of questionable parentage and the brake test machine shows the fluctuation in effort to be akin to a relief map of the Himalayas :shock: New discs and pads and all is good. *

MM

*this brake issue was brought in by the customer outside of the MoT system, although had it been found in a test it would have failed

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 28th, 2022, 12:26 pm

AF62 wrote:
But the MOT tester isn't required (or permitted?) to fix any faults - it passes or it doesn't. You pay them for carrying out the test and not repairing the car; the car which someone has deliberately broken.

Correct, no fixing of anything by the tester during the test. The only thing we are allowed to do is minor adjustments to headlamp aim - this will be where you might see a fail followed by a pass at the same time in your paperwork, and is called a PRS (Pass After Rectification At Station). It can also be done with other items which get failed, but we only have (theoretically, at least) one hour after the test in which to effect the repair - all well and good but if you PRS, say, a bottom ball joint, and then find you can't get the parts until tomorrow .......

MM

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 28th, 2022, 12:40 pm

richlist wrote:I always book my cars in for a service and an MOT test on the same day. I expect the garage to test, fix & charge me for anything that needs doing and I don't then expect it to fail the MOT test.

Ah, not so. Most places will test first, service after. Test first finds any faults, which can then be repaired during service time. Service first does not necessarily find that your brakes are goosed, steering is shot, headlamps are set for landing a 747 at Heathrow, etc. The service bay workshop ramp is not equipped with headlamp beam pattern plates, brake efficiency rollers or steering and suspension play testers, and service spanner-monkeys are not (usually) trained as MoT Testers.

If you service first you run the risk of the MoT effectively writing the car off, and still having to cough up for the service you have had on your now worthless pile of scrap. Done this on a couple of occasions where the customer was adamant that service had to be done first. Fair enough sir, your car is totalled but you now owe us 200 sovs for the service and MoT, which would have cost you only 40 quid if we MoT'd it first and stated there was no point doing the service.

MM

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 28th, 2022, 1:33 pm

MonsterMork wrote:If you service first you run the risk of the MoT effectively writing the car off, and still having to cough up for the service you have had on your now worthless pile of scrap. Done this on a couple of occasions where the customer was adamant that service had to be done first. Fair enough sir, your car is totalled but you now owe us 200 sovs for the service and MoT, which would have cost you only 40 quid if we MoT'd it first and stated there was no point doing the service.

MM

Such as service the car, and then fails on emissions as the DPF is knackered or missing, or there is excessive corrosion within 6 inches of the suspension mount, or a dirty great crack in the windscreen, or excessive oil leakage from the head gasket, or the seatbelt is frayed from hanging out of the door for 8 months, etc etc.

Also IIRC (probably from MM) there is actually a requirement to test the vehicle as presented so the DVLA know what sort of state cars out there are actually in.

Ob and £40 for an MOT???

Paul

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » April 28th, 2022, 2:34 pm

I take my car to a dedicated MOT shop, I pay the max price but am certain no extra faults are found.

I don't know how common and widespread these are.

During the 6 month extension period I just delayed a couple of months, this means that this year I had a totally free choice of date and time.

Rob

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 2:54 pm

I go to the cheapest I can find, as it's tick box exercise
I do keep the car fully serviced though

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 28th, 2022, 4:32 pm

pje16 wrote:I go to the cheapest I can find, as it's tick box exercise

But it isn't! So much of it is a matter of opinion.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 4:34 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Fair nuff - waste your money then :lol:

PS
Sorry, you probably didn't mean money
but if it's not ticking a box, what do you rely on it for then

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 28th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Mike4 wrote:

And negotiation. And sometimes the tester knowing the customer.

I recall the first MOT of our Silver Shadow, which had been bought with a fresh and very bent MOT 11 months previous.
The tester and I stood underneath looking at the rust, and it was rusty. So rusty that nine months before one of the trailing arms had rusted through allowing the damper to hit the road, and the three-part sills, well....

We decided that it would last another 12 months... 'but don't bring it back will you' quoth he.
It did, and I didn't.

The same tester trusts me to fix things on my Landy, gives me advisories rather than fails. If you find a decent MOT garage with enthusiast staff, it can pay to stick with them. Not just a tick-box exercise.

V8

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 28th, 2022, 8:40 pm

pje16 wrote:I go to the cheapest I can find,

Pay peanuts, get monkeys ....

pje16 wrote: as it's tick box exercise

Really? You know this how exactly?

pje16 wrote:I do keep the car fully serviced though

So does the chap we did the new discs and pads on (as mentioned above). His car would still have failed an MoT.

MM

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 8:41 pm

I only mentioned it to show I look after the car

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 29th, 2022, 7:57 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Also IIRC (probably from MM) there is actually a requirement to test the vehicle as presented so the DVLA know what sort of state cars out there are actually in.

Ob and £40 for an MOT???

Paul

Correct, however there is nothing to stop the garage doing a couple of quick fixes before the test anyway! :?

Acksherly we charge 45 quid for a ticket - still cheaper than the £54.85 maximum though, and is roughly in line with other mot stations in our area.

MM

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”