Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

DVLA silliness?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

DVLA silliness?

Postby ten0rman » May 5th, 2022, 10:59 am

April 24 I applied on-line to renew my 70+ driving licence for the third time. As requested, I cut up my old licence and returned it. Four days later I received my new licence.

This morning, I received a full set of forms to enable me to renew my licence, along with suggestions that doing it on-line was the easiest & fastest method!

So, what do I do? Paper re-cycling? Return the forms unused? Favourite would seem to be to hang on to them for a while and then bin them.

But, I wonder. How much has this cost? And if multiplied nationally, just how much is DVLA wasting this way? And is this part of the much-vaunted DVLA inefficiency?

I deapair, I really do.

ten0rman

didds
Lemon Half

Re: DVLA silliness?

Postby didds » May 5th, 2022, 11:07 am

Its indicative of poor IT systems that haven't got any way of rationalising what HAS been done with what it thinks NEEDS to be done.

having ended up with a poorly designed system its probably cheaper for them to send out unnecessary letters than it is to fix the IT system. Or at least the status quo is the path of least resistance.

As you've received your replacement license already Id just bin the letter. Compost it maybe to get least wastage from it.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 5th, 2022, 11:16 am

I renewed my 10 year one last year
and was impressed as they used my passport photo for the driving licence picture
did it on online and got no forms sent to me

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 5th, 2022, 11:55 am

ten0rman wrote:So, what do I do? Paper re-cycling? Return the forms unused? Favourite would seem to be to hang on to them for a while and then bin them.

Naah, just send them straight to the Secretary of State for Transport. Grant Shapps might want to use them for his innovative alter ego, Michael Green. https://www.independent.co.uk/hei-fi/ne ... 20276.html
But, I wonder. How much has this cost? And if multiplied nationally, just how much is DVLA wasting this way? And is this part of the much-vaunted DVLA inefficiency?

It's a bit of paper and an envelope, and these things just happen in business too. Every month for the last five years, I've had a statement in the post from American Express, telling me that my unused account is 17p in credit and pleading with me to contact them about this anomaly. For some reason, I haven't found the time. ;)

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 5th, 2022, 1:15 pm

At least you have yours back. I'm still waiting for mine back. When I'm on police camera action, at which point do eyebrows get raised when you say you don't have it and sent it away to get the address changed?

Months or years? The police might just laugh and say come back in 2033....... Oh and you've changed a bit from that picture.

I remember my daughter visiting a military base and needing a car pass. She gave her details over and was surprised to be "on the system" . Car pass with picture issued she went on her merry way.

The picture was of an 11year old girl, taken from a previous visit with school several years earlier!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 6th, 2022, 1:14 pm

ten0rman wrote:April 24 I applied on-line to renew my 70+ driving licence for the third time. As requested, I cut up my old licence and returned it. Four days later I received my new licence.

This morning, I received a full set of forms to enable me to renew my licence, along with suggestions that doing it on-line was the easiest & fastest method!

So, what do I do? Paper re-cycling? Return the forms unused? Favourite would seem to be to hang on to them for a while and then bin them.

I deapair, I really do.

Sounds to me like a simple timing issue. What prompted you to apply on-line in the first place?

I guess the paper form was triggered before you applied on-line.

In my case I received the forms, realised I had left it late and then applied online - without necessary photo ID. I found this to be possible via the online route as they did then send out a shortened form to send back with photo ID. It all worked out in the end.

You've got your new licence, so what's the problem?

I get the impression some people just want to find fault with government agencies. ;)

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 3rd, 2022, 3:27 pm

I applied to renew a 3 year licence in May 22. Has to be paper because I had cataracts, now removed. However I have Glaucoma, controlled with eye drops. Can read the numberplate test,

Sent to Specsavers in Oct. 22. This was 13 miles away, rather than the previous branch which is just 10 miles away, and 2 buses rather than one! Specsavers couldn't even give me a rough idea how long it would take to be processed. Didn't ask why the Town centre branch didn't do them. The list of 4 branches include two that would require a boat trip as it was a long way by road passing a lot of other branches on the way.

Luckily I could drive because I had a letter saying I could drive if Doc said my eyes were OK! The letter also said if a year went by I would need a new D1!

Rang and got DVLA and got through on about the umpteen attempt and about 45 minutes. Told they had the medical report and confirmed another D1 required. They sent the D1 and I completed and sent straight back!

If it takes 2 years to issue will the new one be only valid for a year? Boris wants to reduce the number of Civil Servants, so unless they streamline it so I am able to apply online I am not holding my breath!

My optometrist has just retired, so any recommendations as to which chain to try for my normal eye test?

Wuz

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 5th, 2022, 3:02 pm

Wuzwine wrote:My optometrist has just retired, so any recommendations as to which chain to try for my normal eye test?

Wuz

no local independents?

didds

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 5th, 2022, 4:44 pm

didds wrote:
Wuzwine wrote:My optometrist has just retired, so any recommendations as to which chain to try for my normal eye test?

Wuz

no local independents?

didds

Are you anywhere near Barnard Castle?

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 7th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Dear all,

I am currently almost 400 miles from Barnard Castle, a bit far for a test drive!!
Everyone I know moved to one of the big city chains. I found out today of a neighbour who uses the last local independent. Will speak to him when he gets back from holiday.

About 25 years ago Boots bought the independent in the town, near my work, put modern techology in and gave me the worst experience. They might have changed by now!

When I first needed glasses in 1976, I went to an independent in Cheltenham and failed to ask the price. Index-linked, I think probably the most expensive glasses ever. Although the 1976 frames are still in use on my reserve pair of reading glasses so it's not too bad.

Regards Wuz

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”