Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Airless tyres and wheels

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Airless tyres and wheels

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2022, 2:11 pm

I just saw this item on the BBC news website, and in theory it sounds like a good idea. Lightweight, recyclable, and they also use less rubber than ordinary tyres/wheels. But I just can't quite rid my head of one or two nagging doubts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61644033

I think the idea of building a road wheel around a flexible mesh of plastic structures has been around for quite a while - apparently, some types have been in production for 15 years or more, although on farm equipment, not on cars. (And on moon rovers and suchlike, of course.) But even the manufacturers are refreshingly open about the shortcomings and challenges - more noise, more road vibration making it into the vehicle - and (disappointingly) more rolling resistance than a rubber tyre, which means you get fewer mpg out of it.

But what bothers me is that they're placing an awful lot of faith in those plastic meshes. If you look at the second image down (the white Tesla), you can see the mesh of the far wheel deforming under the stress of three tonnes of Tesla, and I do wonder how well they're going to take the punishment? I mean, after they've been kerbed, driven over big potholes, punished by the gorillas at Kwik Fit, and generally disrespected by rental drivers (who are one of the key customer sectors, apparently) ?

And then there's a higher price tag. And the wheels will still need to be re-shod at regular intervals like a rubber tyre. It seems like rather a lot of downsides for the sake of not getting punctures. Think I'll wait this one out. :|

BJ
Last edited by bungeejumper on June 14th, 2022, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Airless tyres and wheels

Postby pje16 » June 14th, 2022, 2:13 pm

I saw that too and looked up the cost..... over £700 each.... :roll:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”