Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Postby Dod101 » July 14th, 2022, 8:22 am

I doubt that the 20 mph speed limit will result in fines, and that is another point about it, that it will be widely broken without fear, thus putting the law into even more contempt. But the article from the Telegraph could easily be describing Scotland. Silly little things that have got nothing to do with getting the economy moving because they have no understanding of how it works.

Dod

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 14th, 2022, 8:29 am

My views are simply selfish. I like having a car and other luxuries.
Most people in the world live in poverty.
In the old days, say ten years ago, they were unaware of that. Nowadays they all have mobile phones which they consult while they are walking ten miles to fetch a bucket of filthy disease infested water so now they are aware and they don't like it.
IMO there is strong pressure for convergence of living standards for the ordinary man and woman like us (peasants if you like) across the world.
The consequences of this are that limited resources will have to be used wisely. I believe capitalism and regulation will provide.
But some changes will be perceived by some here as lowering their standard of living or ie raising the cost of living such as certain useless extravagances and baubles such as SUVs become unaffordable for the average citizen.
I drive a Toyota Aygo. Three cylinders, no turbocharger, top speed 100 mph. Ridiculous. But now costs £17000 new. Just a few years ago was £9000. The change has started.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 14th, 2022, 10:18 am

[quote="Itsallaguess"]
Another example is the Welsh Assembly’s proposal to ban under-16s from buying tea and coffee.
/quote]

Its not a proposal. They are proposing to ban the sale of high caffeine energy drinks by under 16s. I would ban them for everyone.

Then they are asking the question as to whether people would support an extension of this ban to other high caffeine drinks. That's not a proposal its a consultation.

So the Telegraph article is just some journalist being asked to run up a thousand words being rude about Labour in Wales. It's worthless. But then its the Telegraph.

DM

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » July 14th, 2022, 11:12 am

Dod101 wrote:I doubt that the 20 mph speed limit will result in fines, and that is another point about it, that it will be widely broken without fear, thus putting the law into even more contempt. But the article from the Telegraph could easily be describing Scotland. Silly little things that have got nothing to do with getting the economy moving because they have no understanding of how it works.

Dod

Years ago I worked with a man who had previously worked in Aberystwyth. He was caught speeding on his way back to Aber, and when his case came to court (as was done in those days), there were a dozen Welsh speeders, whose cases came before him that day. He was the only one fined, because the magistrate wanted to make an example of an outsider. I guess that is how it will go.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 14th, 2022, 11:47 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Another example is the Welsh Assembly’s proposal to ban under-16s from buying tea and coffee.

Its not a proposal. They are proposing to ban the sale of high caffeine energy drinks by under 16s. I would ban them for everyone.

Then they are asking the question as to whether people would support an extension of this ban to other high caffeine drinks. That's not a proposal its a consultation.

So the Telegraph article is just some journalist being asked to run up a thousand words being rude about Labour in Wales. It's worthless. But then its the Telegraph.

Yup, sounds par for the course to me. Just the Telegraph pursuing its normal business model.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 14th, 2022, 11:48 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Another example is the Welsh Assembly’s proposal to ban under-16s from buying tea and coffee.

Yup, sounds par for the course to me. Just the Telegraph pursuing its normal business model: Garbage in, Fury out

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 14th, 2022, 11:56 am

XFool wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:

Yup, sounds par for the course to me. Just the Telegraph pursuing its normal business model: Garbage in, Fury out

Got to feed the frothers.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 14th, 2022, 12:49 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:

DM

Don't forget to also ban cola drinks, alcohol, and nicotine, and butter, or milk that isn't skimmed, or high fat cheese, or high sugar yoghurt, crisps, chocolate, milk shakes, Ice Cream, Vimto, and Irn Bru.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 14th, 2022, 12:54 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:

DM

Don't forget to also ban cola drinks, alcohol, and nicotine, and butter, or milk that isn't skimmed, or high fat cheese, or high sugar yoghurt, crisps, chocolate, milk shakes, Ice Cream, Vimto, and Irn Bru.

And bagpipes

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 14th, 2022, 1:14 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:

DM

The rest are fair enough if that's your bag* but Irn Bru is the ditch I'd die in.

DM

* :twisted:

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 14th, 2022, 1:18 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
The rest are fair enough if that's your bag* but Irn Bru is the ditch I'd die in.

DM

I still have a few months' supply of the real stuff from before the snowflakes at AG Barr bowed down to the superwoke demands of Big Aspartame.

Still. Transport, Eh?

DM

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 14th, 2022, 8:27 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:I don't see any justification for building cars that can exceed 55mph top speed. The current situation is insane.

The justification for building a car that can exceed 55 mph is that it gets you from A to B more quickly. What's remotely insane about that?

It strikes me as rather more insane to restrict people to driving at 55 mph in all situations, when it's often perfectly safe to drive at 70 (and in many cases well in excess of 70, but that's clearly a lost cause).

It's not clear whether you feel a 55 mph limit should be imposed for fuel economy reasons or for safety reasons, or maybe both. But in either event it could logically be argued that the maximum should be 30 mph, as that would result in even greater `benefits'.

There are actually advantages in allowing traffic to move quickly, but these seem to count for zero in the decision making process. I don't like the term `nanny state', but it does accurately summarise the absurdly risk-averse culture in which we are increasingly being smothered.

Gets you from a to b more quickly? Have you been on the M25 recently? But the point is we cannot go on wasting energy and resources on junk like SUVs and high powered cars. You don't think your posh new car is junk? You're part of the problem.

No, I haven’t been on the M25 recently. I know it’s hard to comprehend, but a remarkably large number of people actually live a long way from the M25, where roads are generally not congested, and where it is genuinely possible to drive quickly. So extrapolating your M25 experiences to us humble provincials doesn’t really work.

I used to drive to work in Rickmansworth through the country lanes thus avoiding the m25. I knew the lanes like the back of my hand and drove appropriately. There was always, always, some tw*t who drove up my exhaust pipe. There were also always, always, cyclists in the middle of the road round the blind bends. The speed limit was 60mph. I didn't treat it as a target.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » July 14th, 2022, 9:23 pm

Why not limit it to 5mph.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 14th, 2022, 9:54 pm

scotview wrote:
Why not limit it to 5mph.

And by law you must pick up anyone who's walking in the same direction as you're driving, if there's a spare seat in your vehicle.

And once they are in your vehicle, their destination becomes a priority before yours.

Don't laugh - this is Mark Drakeford we're talking about...

You heard it here first...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 15th, 2022, 9:10 am

scotview wrote:Why not limit it to 5mph.

Why not give priority on the roads to pedestrians and cyclists?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 15th, 2022, 9:25 am

CliffEdge wrote:

Why not give priority on the roads to ...cyclists?

Provided they're proper bicycles with mudguards, lights, bell, chain guard, and the riders properly dressed... tweeds, bicycle clips, no silly hats unless female in which silly hats are de rigeur.

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 15th, 2022, 9:37 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:Doing 20 in a car on a through road feels really slow. But then I am frequently guilty of doing 35 on sections that are still 30 so I am trying to push my own behavioural change by eg using cruise control much more frequently to train myself into being used to driving slower. This is more practical for me than many because I frequently drive around early in the morning when there is very little traffic. I do not find that the lower restriction has particularly increased congestion or journey times (when I travel at peak or normal hours). Strategic through routes are at 30 (in many cases down from a previous 40). I usually drive an automatic.

As a cyclist I feel a bit safer. While it is very clear that compliance is far less than 100%, the average vehicle speed is reducing,
DM

The first sentence is the reason the limit isbeing dropped.

If people obeyed the limit, then in realty they'd be doing 25-27 most of the time, and when the powers that be did a survey they wold find low average speeds.

What surprises me is that you also cycle, and yet still speed, enabling others to do the same behind you. You may be considerate to cyclists, but the followers might not be.

One thing I have found is that it is a LOT easier to stick to 30 limits in a manual car than a modern 8 speed auto.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2022, 9:40 am

88V8 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:

Why not give priority on the roads to ...cyclists?

Provided they're proper bicycles with mudguards, lights, bell, chain guard, and the riders properly dressed... tweeds, bicycle clips, no silly hats unless female in which silly hats are de rigeur.

V8

Pretty sure Rees Mogg has the return "guy with the flag walking in front of your motor carriage" as one of his Brexit benefits

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2022, 9:47 am

DrFfybes wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:Doing 20 in a car on a through road feels really slow. But then I am frequently guilty of doing 35 on sections that are still 30 so I am trying to push my own behavioural change by eg using cruise control much more frequently to train myself into being used to driving slower. This is more practical for me than many because I frequently drive around early in the morning when there is very little traffic. I do not find that the lower restriction has particularly increased congestion or journey times (when I travel at peak or normal hours). Strategic through routes are at 30 (in many cases down from a previous 40). I usually drive an automatic.

As a cyclist I feel a bit safer. While it is very clear that compliance is far less than 100%, the average vehicle speed is reducing,
DM

The first sentence is the reason the limit isbeing dropped.

If people obeyed the limit, then in realty they'd be doing 25-27 most of the time, and when the powers that be did a survey they wold find low average speeds.

What surprises me is that you also cycle, and yet still speed, enabling others to do the same behind you. You may be considerate to cyclists, but the followers might not be.

One thing I have found is that it is a LOT easier to stick to 30 limits in a manual car than a modern 8 speed auto.

Not with cruise control. I have a relatively straight run in to my nearest little town, the best part of a mile. It has a 30 mph limit. If I do not use cruise control I tend to drive at the same speed as other traffic, that is about 35/36 mph, but if I have the opportunity to I engage cruise control at 30 mph and it is fine. Some of the traffic behind me gets annoyed but too bad. At this time of year there are often cyclists around and it is no doubt safer at 30 than even just a bit above it. 20 mph would feel just too slow.

Dod

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 15th, 2022, 1:12 pm

DrFfybes wrote:One thing I have found is that it is a LOT easier to stick to 30 limits in a manual car than a modern 8 speed auto.

I just push the ‘limit’ button and adjust to 30. Minimal hassle. It even bongs a warning if a steep downhill takes me more than a couple of mph over.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”