Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Car and Bus Engine Constant Stopping

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Car and Bus Engine Constant Stopping

Postby DrFfybes » July 15th, 2022, 9:28 am

monabri wrote:Maybe I should trade it in for a bike? The only benefit of the auto stop-start as far as I can see will be to the manufacturers of batteries and starter motors and to the garages who charge an arm and leg for fitting parts.

The purpose of the stop/start was to reduce emissions on the simulated cycle. However, unlike some other measures to do this, this is one that actually serves a purpose. Mine only turns off the engine when in Neutral with the clutch up, so I have a bit more control than in an auto. If I dip the clutch the engine restarts, I assum the auto has a pedal position sensor that can easily restart.

I must say I wasn't too keen at first, I did switch it off quite a bit when we first got the car, but found the system is pretty clever and will not activate unless there is sufficient juice to restart, and leaves the engine on if battery is low or aircon is on etc. The Toyota displays a counter so you can see how long it has been running and off on a trip. Also handy when you wonder how long you've been sat at a red light :)

Batteries still last the usual length of time, in fact possibly longer as they are being exercised more. We're on 94k on the original battery, but it is only 6 years old. According to the manufacturers, starter motors are designed now for 250k+ start cycles rather than the older ones with 100k or so.

Alaric wrote: I have a Ford Focus nominally with this feature. I don't know if it's the car ageing or the battery, but stop/start rarely works and only when the battery has been charged on a long run.

Possible a sign the battery is losing capacity - KwikFit etc will do a test on it. Is there a message on the dash saying why it isn't activating?

Paul

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 15th, 2022, 3:38 pm

DrFfybes wrote:If I dip the clutch the engine restarts, I assum the auto has a pedal position sensor that can easily restart.

My auto restarts when I take my foot off the brake.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2022, 7:45 pm

monabri wrote:I've switched the stop-start off (and the "lane guidance" as well as I find it very off putting in daily use and I now switch it off everytime I start the car. I need to read the manual :o to see if I can permanently disable this function).

Reading the manual is a good idea. I discovered for instance how to fold in the wing mirrors automatically as I switch off the engine. At least as important, they fold out again when I switch the engine to start. Very clever!

I expect that you can do the same with lane guidance and other ‘helpful’ gadgets. But I cannot understand why anyone would not want to switch off the engine when you stop.

Dod

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 16th, 2022, 1:10 pm

swill453 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:If I dip the clutch the engine restarts, I assum the auto has a pedal position sensor that can easily restart.

Scott.

Mine (also automatic) engages autohold when I stop and stops the engine. Restarts and pulls away when I touch the throttle. A minor (?) drawback is that if I’m not paying enough attention and my foot brushes the throttle it immediately sets off as it’s still in drive so it pays to leave a decent gap to the car in front. ;) (But as I said earlier I prefer not to use the stop/start).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm

quelquod wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Mine (also automatic) engages autohold when I stop and stops the engine. Restarts and pulls away when I touch the throttle. A minor (?) drawback is that if I’m not paying enough attention and my foot brushes the throttle it immediately sets off as it’s still in drive so it pays to leave a decent gap to the car in front. ;) (But as I said earlier I prefer not to use the stop/start).

I think mine is the same. The only drawback I have noticed is that if for some reason I want/need a quick start, there is a slight hesitation as things get into gear as it were. I notice this if I need a quick start at a very busy roundabout where it is necessary to quickly get out otherwise I would sit there all day.

Dod

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 16th, 2022, 2:21 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I think mine is the same. The only drawback I have noticed is that if for some reason I want/need a quick start, there is a slight hesitation as things get into gear as it were. I notice this if I need a quick start at a very busy roundabout where it is necessary to quickly get out otherwise I would sit there all day.

Dod

I once had a Nissan Note with start stop. That was usually ok, but from time to time it could be an issue. If I pulled up at lights or a roundabout, it would occasionally not stop immediately, but would do so after a few seconds, presumably when all the parameters aligned. That sometimes occurred just as the lights changed or a gap materialised, and depressing the clutch didn't then restart the engine; it seemed to take a moment between the engine stopping and the clutch restart working. So you'd lift the clutch expecting to pull away, and you'd just sit there. It didn't take long to depress the clutch again, but by the time you realised then did it, the cars behind would wonder if you'd fallen asleep, or the roundabout gap would have gone.

So I tended to switch it off as I got into the car, but if I joined a queue which looked like it would take at a while to clear, I'd switch it on before stopping so as to allow the engine to cut out.

I also have it on my current car, a Hyundai Tucson, and it works really well with none of the clunkiness I found with the Note.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 17th, 2022, 12:32 pm

monabri wrote:I've switched the stop-start off (and the "lane guidance" as well as I find it very off putting in daily use and I now switch it off everytime I start the car. I need to read the manual :o to see if I can permanently disable this function).

If you turn off the ‘lane guidance’ then don’t buy an insurance policy from Saga (and possibly others. To quote their policy document -

b. Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
If your vehicle is fitted with Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), we will not pay any claims for loss of or damage to your vehicle unless all software and/or safety updates are installed and up to date and all manufacturer’s guidelines followed. If we make payments under the Road Traffic Acts, we reserve the right to recover any such amounts from you.

And since the “manufacturer’s guidelines” will be to leave it on…

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » July 18th, 2022, 11:24 am

AF62 wrote:

If you turn off the ‘lane guidance’ then don’t buy an insurance policy from Saga (and possibly others. To quote their policy document -

b. Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
If your vehicle is fitted with Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), we will not pay any claims for loss of or damage to your vehicle unless all software and/or safety updates are installed and up to date and all manufacturer’s guidelines followed. If we make payments under the Road Traffic Acts, we reserve the right to recover any such amounts from you.

And since the “manufacturer’s guidelines” will be to leave it on…

From my car manufacturer's manual:
The Lane Keeping Aid (LKA) function (LKA) is optional – the driver can choose to activate or deactivate this function.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 21st, 2022, 10:30 pm

The last few days on and off I've been using the BMW, which doesn't have stop/start. Ossly I've suddenly become aware of how much fuel the 3.2 straight 6 is burning for no purpose, and actually miss it to the point that if a set of lights go red when I arrive and I expect to wait a while, I actually turn the engine off.

Oddly in the old Carina I don't get the same urge

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 21st, 2022, 10:49 pm

my car does it (stops when stationary) and foot is off the clutch, so I let it do that if the lights have just turned red
If anyone questions the use of a clutch
I like to DRIVE a car, so no automatic, or lane assist, no auto parking for me

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 21st, 2022, 11:53 pm

pje16 wrote:my car does it (stops when stationary) and foot is off the clutch, so I let it do that if the lights have just turned red

Sorry. I do not mean to be supercilious, but your car 'stops when stationary' ? Is that not amazing?

I too like to drive a car, but I also like driving aids like automatic transmission. I do not like other 'aids' like auto parking or lane assist. The bleep at the rear is quite helpful though.

When I lived in the council area of Kensington and Chelsea it was useful to be able to follow the local convention of parking in a space a few inches longer than your car. Clearly the only sensible thing was to touch the car behind to get into a parking space any where near your flat.

I find the spaces left between parked cars in my locality today to be such that I could probably park a bus in them.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 22nd, 2022, 6:34 am

Dod101 wrote:
pje16 wrote:my car does it (stops when stationary) and foot is off the clutch, so I let it do that if the lights have just turned red

Sorry. I do not mean to be supercilious, but your car 'stops when stationary' ? Is that not amazing?

I too like to drive a car, but I also like driving aids like automatic transmission. I do not like other 'aids' like auto parking or lane assist. The bleep at the rear is quite helpful though.

When I lived in the council area of Kensington and Chelsea it was useful to be able to follow the local convention of parking in a space a few inches longer than your car. Clearly the only sensible thing was to touch the car behind to get into a parking space any where near your flat.

I find the spaces left between parked cars in my locality today to be such that I could probably park a bus in them.

Dod

I meant the engine stops
hey ho :lol:
I do have the rear sensors, that is very handy

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 22nd, 2022, 8:52 am

pje16 wrote:I do have the rear sensors, that is very handy

And what about your car?

:)

pje16