Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Average speed cameras on M6

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Average speed cameras on M6

Postby MrFoolish » July 17th, 2022, 11:52 am

Does anyone know if they only operate when a reduction is in place, i.e. with the illuminated number in the red circle? They wouldn't operate when it is clear and defaults to 70 mph?

General rant time: these cameras are everywhere on the M6. I get the need to keep speeds sensible and appropriate to the conditions, but you are constantly watching your speedo and micro-adjusting your speed on this road. It gets very wearing and is arguably a distraction.

Also the limits frequently seem to be set for conditions which must have expired some time ago. I've witnessed "roadworks" restrictions which go on for about 15 - 20 miles, but there's not a worker or cone in sight. And "congestion / 40m mph", where I could see the "clear" sign up ahead, but a virtually empty road in between. Do they not try to clear these things as quickly as possible?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Average speed cameras on M6

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2022, 12:10 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Does anyone know if they only operate when a reduction is in place, i.e. with the illuminated number in the red circle? They wouldn't operate when it is clear and defaults to 70 mph?

General rant time: these cameras are everywhere on the M6. I get the need to keep speeds sensible and appropriate to the conditions, but you are constantly watching your speedo and micro-adjusting your speed on this road. It gets very wearing and is arguably a distraction.

Also the limits frequently seem to be set for conditions which must have expired some time ago. I've witnessed "roadworks" restrictions which go on for about 15 - 20 miles, but there's not a worker or cone in sight. And "congestion / 40m mph", where I could see the "clear" sign up ahead, but a virtually empty road in between. Do they not try to clear these things as quickly as possible?

These two points are separate. On a particular stretch of the A77 in Scotland there are average speed cameras but the speed limit keeps changing and so it is very difficult and confusing at times to get it right. They even have an unrestricted sign at one point but the road is a single carriageway and so the speed is 60 mph anyway but how a foreign driver for instance knows this except very generally goodness' knows. I think you need to watch the signage, because if they operate with the speed reduction in place, they should be taken to also operate when the signage becomes 70 again in the presence of average speed camera gantries. You are risking a fine if you ignore the speed limit when cameras are in place. It is a bit like fixed speed cameras; most I assume work but a lot will not, but how do you know? In any case other cars will surely provide guidance but at the same time if the speed limit is 70 mph, as it is on Motorways then you risk a fine with or without average speed cameras obviously. My cruise control is very useful in such situations.

Your point about roadworks or the lack of them with continuing speed restriction signage is widespread and a pain but I have no answer to that.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 17th, 2022, 12:20 pm

If you are referring to the cameras in the smart motorway sections (which you seem to be by the reference to the illuminated signs), these aren’t average speed cameras but instantaneous speed cameras - and yes they are theoretically operational when the sign isn’t illuminated and the national speed limit is in operation.

“Theoretically” because Highway England say they are, but unless you checked how do you know they are not fibbing.

As for adjusting your speed, I agree tricky in older cars, but in new ones with adaptive cruise control, just set the speed to the limit and then sit back and relax.

On occasion I do believe the reduced signed speeds are downright dangerous. On one memorable occasion late on a December evening in 2020 when there was damn all traffic because of the various lockdowns I was coming around the M25 back from Gatwick. The speed limits were reduced down to 40mph at points for no apparent reason at all and then would disappear only to reappear again shortly afterwards. Of course I had no idea if they were being enforced so was slowing down for them, and then almost being run over by the HGV behind who didn’t believe they were being enforced. And rinse and repeat each time they appeared.

And for those sections where there are reduced limits but no workers or congestion - there could be many reasons, for example the section between junctions 6 and 7 of the M6 is always reduced these days to ‘reduce vehicle emissions’.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 17th, 2022, 1:13 pm

AF62 wrote:If you are referring to the cameras in the smart motorway sections (which you seem to be by the reference to the illuminated signs), these aren’t average speed cameras but instantaneous speed cameras - and yes they are theoretically operational when the sign isn’t illuminated and the national speed limit is in operation.

Yes it was a "smart" motorway. Thanks for the warning that these are instantaneous speed cameras. I think maybe I knew this but had forgot. On my journey today, I expect I must have drifted above the limits on occasions. Oh well, it is what it is, and at least I didn't notice a flash.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 17th, 2022, 1:22 pm

If these are the same as the ones on the smart motorway section of the M3 ( yellow boxes on the left hand side of the overhead gantry ) then they are not average speed cameras. I have seen them triggered when the NSL applies but you would need to be going at an indicated 80+ mph on a normal speedo to trigger them.

John

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 17th, 2022, 1:27 pm

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-adv ... -they-work gives advice, different generations have different properties, and the latest are IR and do not flash. The M25 controllers love to bring the limits down well either side of a problem, and cry wolf. I had a 20 limit on the M1 at 11pm at night recently

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 17th, 2022, 1:43 pm

A few week ago I travelled on the M42. The smart overhead speed restrictions were in use. Except nearly each one was different 60 - 40 - 50 - 40 - 60 etc.

I was nearly caught out after a few 50s to encounter such wild changes. I spent most of the time trying to guess the next number and adjust speed accordingly.

I wasn't sure why really. I know they often use 50s when it's busy. Kids on a school visit to the HQ was the only thing I could think of.

It's annoying when the signs are out of date. Same journey had slow object in road for 30 odd miles on the M5. Again nothing seen but maybe I hadn't travelled far enough

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 17th, 2022, 1:45 pm

JohnB wrote:I had a 20 limit on the M1 at 11pm at night recently

Are you sure?

I have never seen anything below 40mph, and that was when the traffic was already stationary. Setting an enforced 20mph limit on a motorway is asking for a pile-up as some will stick to it but most won’t.

Gerry557 wrote:It's annoying when the signs are out of date. Same journey had slow object in road for 30 odd miles on the M5. Again nothing seen but maybe I hadn't travelled far enough

More likely someone phoned in saying they had seen an object somewhere between junction x and junction y and the Highway Agency car hasn’t managed to drive that section yet to confirm / deny / deal with it.

Far more accurate for objects in the road, broken down cars, roadworks (and police with speed cameras) is Waze.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 17th, 2022, 2:20 pm

AF62 wrote:Are you sure?

31st May 2022 11pm, M1 southbound at the M25 junction, minimal traffic. As you say I thought it dangerous to slow below 40. The M25 people do love 10 mile restrictions with "animal reported in road", which I'm sure is road-protesters ringing-in a sighting of a horse near Westerham for a larf.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 17th, 2022, 3:25 pm

Gerry557 wrote:A few week ago I travelled on the M42. The smart overhead speed restrictions were in use. Except nearly each one was different 60 - 40 - 50 - 40 - 60 etc.
I wasn't sure why really. I know they often use 50s when it's busy. Kids on a school visit to the HQ was the only thing I could think of.

The M42 has been too small and too narrow ever since the day they built it. There are times when it's stationary from one end to the other, not because of accidents but just because of super-heavy tidal flows of traffic - and then there are other times when you can breeze along it with occasional bad lumps of local congestion. Quite a lot of the traffic seems to be doing short hops of two or three junctions, which is unusual for a "connecting bypass" like the M42. I suppose the powers that be reckon that it adds up to an argument for micro-managing the speed limits mile by mile. And I'd guess that they might be right?

It's a pain, all right. But not as bad as the lousy cheapo concrete road surfaces, which drown out all conversation and which must surely drive some people to thoughts of murderous mayhem. :evil: And it's so featureless and anonymous that you never properly know where you are. One of my least favourite places to be. It's always a relief to get to the end of the damn thing and be back out onto the nice, gentle, courteous, considerate M6. :lol:

BJ

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 17th, 2022, 5:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:It's always a relief to get to the end of the damn thing and be back out onto the nice, gentle, courteous, considerate M6. :lol:

BJ

I've never liked the M6 south for its entirety south of Cheshire. It's just the same scruffy, bland countryside with unkempt low hedges. There's no interesting old pubs, houses or other buildings to look at. There's not even the odd hill. I suppose Birmingham adds a bit of variety but it all looks dated and brutalist. It could really do with some statement pieces of architecture.

I find the A1 much easier on the eye. It looks like the people who live near it actually care about their environment. But I suppose its history goes back a lot further.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 17th, 2022, 6:40 pm

MrFoolish wrote: I suppose Birmingham adds a bit of variety but it all looks dated and brutalist. It could really do with some statement pieces of architecture.

Perhaps you are talking there only about the parts of Birmingham that you can see from the M6. But Birmingham city centre does have a few decent bits of modern architecture.

Depending on your taste of course there is The Cube, the new public library, the Selfridges building and the curvy blue building that the Radisson Hotel is in.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 17th, 2022, 6:53 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:It's always a relief to get to the end of the damn thing and be back out onto the nice, gentle, courteous, considerate M6. :lol:

BJ

I've never liked the M6 south for its entirety south of Cheshire. It's just the same scruffy, bland countryside with unkempt low hedges. There's no interesting old pubs, houses or other buildings to look at. There's not even the odd hill. I suppose Birmingham adds a bit of variety but it all looks dated and brutalist. It could really do with some statement pieces of architecture.

I find the A1 much easier on the eye. It looks like the people who live near it actually care about their environment. But I suppose its history goes back a lot further.

Back in the 1990s I used to use the A49 in preference to the M6 southbound. Using the A442 and the the A449 I could pick up the M5 South of Kidderminster and go over the Cotswolds to Swindon, before going down to Winchester and picking up the A272. Far better than fighting all that traffic on the A42 and M25, and no longer in time.

TJH

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 17th, 2022, 7:06 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Back in the 1990s I used to use the A49 in preference to the M6 southbound. Using the A442 and the the A449 I could pick up the M5 South of Kidderminster and go over the Cotswolds to Swindon, before going down to Winchester and picking up the A272. Far better than fighting all that traffic on the A42 and M25, and no longer in time.

TJH

I have never tried the A49. But just checked out a few random spots on google street view and I like what I see.

I'm not a very good navigator though, and on some of these more minor A-roads I have a tendency to accidentally miss some turning and go off in the wrong direction. Obviously it's easier these days with sat-nav, but I still tend to go wrong...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 17th, 2022, 7:33 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Back in the 1990s I used to use the A49 in preference to the M6 southbound. Using the A442 and the the A449 I could pick up the M5 South of Kidderminster and go over the Cotswolds to Swindon

I have never tried the A49. But just checked out a few random spots on google street view and I like what I see.

The A449 through Kiddy and Bridgnorth is still my preferred route if I'm heading north-west into North Wales (or conversely, heading south east on my way home). Matter of fact, I did that very route last Thursday on my way back from Shrewsbury.

In the worst years of the southbound M6 roadworks (15 years ago? time flies), I would always leave the M6 above Walsall for the M54 and then head southwest from Telford to Bridgnorth, then follow the Severn valley down to the M5 near Worcester. Sometimes it took 30 minutes longer than staying on the M6/M5 past Brum, but by god, it was more fun and more rewarding in every way. And the only speed cameras are on the southernmost stretch of dual carriageway, approaching Worcester. (Well, the only ones I noticed. :| ) Recommended. :D

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”