Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Car Showrooms - flat batteries

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Car Showrooms - flat batteries

Postby MyNameIsUrl » August 23rd, 2022, 3:00 pm

I went round half a dozen car showrooms yesterday to try out a range of models. I was amazed that in all except one, the brand new cars in the showroom all had flat batteries. In one place the salesman warned me as I went in that I wouldn't be able to open any boots because of this. I also couldn't see what the dashboard display looked like, and most importantly for me, in many cars I couldn't adjust the seat because they were electrically powered. One salesman got me a battery pack and opened the bonnet to hook it up so I could adjust the seat.

In the one place where the batteries weren't flat, I noticed a CTEK charger tucked by the wipers, so presumably every so often they just bring an extension lead out overnight. Not really that difficult for all of the garages to do this.

Are they just not interested in selling cars at the moment?

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Car Showrooms - flat batteries

Postby pje16 » August 23rd, 2022, 3:14 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote: Are they just not interested in selling cars at the moment?

Or doing the right thing by not wasting energy :lol:

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 23rd, 2022, 3:16 pm

I watched a program on tv a few days back where the garage has stopped taking orders for new cars because of the chip shortages. They are only actively trying to sell their used stocks.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 23rd, 2022, 3:43 pm

This is odd, as most cars these days don't like having a flat battery. Lots of error codes, things needing resetting, etc.

I'm very surprised, as AFAIR every main dealer I've been in over the last few years has sockets scattered around the floor. At the very high end places they put them on CTEKs every night, and Porsche in Exeter used to leave them on most of the time.

But as has been said, a lot of places have such a long waiting list for new cars I'm surprised they bother opening the showrooms at all.

Paul

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » August 24th, 2022, 2:21 am

Do they have flat batteries or disconnected batteries?

IMHO disconnecting the batteries would represent a standard of care towards the car, while allowing them to go flat would not.

When I was working with batteries the list of things not to do to them began, in descending order of awfulness.
  1. Physical violence -- axes, explosives, significant drops, and the like
  2. extreme and persistent overcharging
  3. run them till flat, with extra destruction points for a continuing drain so they go really flat.

In practice running them flat was the major battery killer, since it only required negligence, while the two above it required effort.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 24th, 2022, 9:37 am

In addition, lead acid batteries 'self discharge' slowly anyway when disconnected for long periods, i.e. months at a time.

LA batts also sulphate if not kept fully charged, reducing capacity.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 24th, 2022, 9:46 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I went round half a dozen car showrooms yesterday to try out a range of models. I was amazed that in all except one, the brand new cars in the showroom all had flat batteries. In one place the salesman warned me as I went in that I wouldn't be able to open any boots because of this. I also couldn't see what the dashboard display looked like, and most importantly for me, in many cars I couldn't adjust the seat because they were electrically powered. One salesman got me a battery pack and opened the bonnet to hook it up so I could adjust the seat.

In the one place where the batteries weren't flat, I noticed a CTEK charger tucked by the wipers, so presumably every so often they just bring an extension lead out overnight. Not really that difficult for all of the garages to do this.

Are they just not interested in selling cars at the moment?

Personally I would have asked them why they do that.

Dod

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”