Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What tyre?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
eepee
Lemon Slice

What tyre?

Postby eepee » April 7th, 2023, 2:56 pm

I have a Fiat Panda which has got the wrong spare tyre.

According to the book the one I need is:-
Spacesaver 135/80 R14 84M

So although I can see some cheap ones on eBay, the 84M is not right.

What aspect of the tyre does the 84M refer to?

Regards,
ep

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: What tyre?

Postby Newroad » April 7th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Hi Eepee.

The 84 refers to the maximum load of the tyre and the M refers to the maximum speed when at that load.

Looking it up, 84 maps to 500kg and M maps to 81 mph.

Regards, Newroad

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » April 7th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

Since if we have to use it, we would probably crawl home/tyre place, I guess:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285130842722

will do as well as any other.

Regards,
ep

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 7th, 2023, 3:54 pm

eepee wrote:Since if we have to use it, we would probably crawl home/tyre place, I guess:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285130842722

will do as well as any other.

That’s only an 80 index not an 84, so only 450kg not 500.

In practice it likely won’t make any difference, but as it is a lower rated tyre then if anything did occur when using it then your insurance company may take a dim view.

With index ratings for weight or speed then going higher is OK (although with the weight rating it may make the car noise or handling less pleasant), but going lower than the manufacturer specifications - not so good.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2023, 4:25 pm

My trusty calculator tells me that a 2007 tyre like the one in the Ebay ad is, errrm, 15 or 16 years old. :) Which is a fair way beyond the age at which one would normally chuck it out and replace it because the rubber could/would be degrading. You wouldn't get a lot of sympathy from your insurer if the sidewall failed and the tyre blew out.

Having said that, I didn't let that dissuade me from buying an (unused and virginal) Ebay space-saver for my Toyota, a couple of years back. (Like many cars, mine hadn't been supplied with one.) The difference between £30 and £180 from the manufacturer was not to be sneezed at, especially since I do a lowish mileage and, like you, I'd drive it like a vicar if I ever needed to use it.

It would cost me around £80 to get my slimline spare tyre replaced with a new one. (Space savers tend to be more expensive than normal road tyres, presumably because they're made in shorter runs.) But if I understand you correctly, you've already got a spare wheel in your car - and if it's just a matter of blowing £70 or so to get it reshod, I'd do that before I bought an out-of-date wheel and tyre from somebody I didn't know on the internet. ;)

BJ

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » April 7th, 2023, 4:49 pm

No it is not that. The car was bought second hand and came with a spare tyre that looks new.

However when I came to mount it, it turns out that it did not have the two extra holes on the mounting plate.
I was prepared to drill them (!), after all they are just locator pins (see the 6 'holes' on the eBay page).
However I noticed that the central hole that fits around the central axle is actually smaller in diameter on the wheel I have.

Neither can I get an ordinary wheel because the well in our 2018 Panda is too shallow.

So on the whole, a pretty annoying experience.

Regards,
ep

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 7th, 2023, 5:23 pm

bungeejumper wrote:My trusty calculator tells me that a 2007 tyre like the one in the Ebay ad is, errrm, 15 or 16 years old. :) Which is a fair way beyond the age at which one would normally chuck it out and replace it because the rubber could/would be degrading. You wouldn't get a lot of sympathy from your insurer if the sidewall failed and the tyre blew out.

Never mind all that, wasn't there a thread on here a year or two back saying tyres regardless of condition are an MoT failure once they reach ten years old?

Or maybe it was just a proposal that never got implemented...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2023, 5:29 pm

eepee wrote:The car was bought second hand and came with a spare tyre that looks new.

However when I came to mount it, it turns out that it did not have the two extra holes on the mounting plate.
I was prepared to drill them (!), after all they are just locator pins (see the 6 'holes' on the eBay page).
However I noticed that the central hole that fits around the central axle is actually smaller in diameter on the wheel I have.

In short, it's the wrong spacesaver wheel entirely, and not just the tyre? What a good job you never needed to use it in anger. ;) Thinks: have you got the right jack and wheelbrace?

How do those locator pin holes work, then? I'd have assumed that they were just for bolting the wheel down into the well in the boot? But if they had a road function it would be a real no-no to drill them. [Edit: Actually I'd never take metal out of a wheel at all. They're all that stand between you and Judgement Day.]

Maybe the vendor of the Ebay item would take your wrong wheel in part exchange? Of course, you'd have to find out which car it was really intended for?

I've always had a soft spot for the Panda. Nippy and manoeuvrable. I once drove one 450 miles in a day, right across France. It was a courtesy car after my Focus had gone seriously t1ts up near the Swiss border, and we were actually a little sad to leave it at Calais. Would quite like to try the 4x4 some time.

BJ

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » April 7th, 2023, 7:08 pm

What a good job you never needed to use it in anger

Erm .... how do you think I discovered the problems? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Do you think I thought I would change tyre just for fun????????????????????? :D

Anyway what makes me hesitate is the big hole in the middle. On the spare I have it seems to be 54mm and I know it is too small to fit over the axle.

Guess I shall have to ask what size it is. Don't really fancy taking a wheel off just to find the right size!!

Regards,
ep

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2023, 7:34 pm

eepee wrote:Anyway what makes me hesitate is the big hole in the middle. On the spare I have it seems to be 54mm and I know it is too small to fit over the axle.

Guess I shall have to ask what size it is. Don't really fancy taking a wheel off just to find the right size!!

Just take the VIN number to a Fiat garage (or phone them). They'll tell you everything you need to know, including crucially the part number for the wheel. Then you can google that number in search of deals and suppliers.

Mr Google suggests that the tyre size you've quoted is common on Puntos and 500s. No mention that I can see of it occurring on Pandas. You're welcome. :D

BJ

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 8th, 2023, 11:39 am

Mike4 wrote: wasn't there a thread on here a year or two back saying tyres regardless of condition are an MoT failure once they reach ten years old?

Or maybe it was just a proposal that never got implemented...

Correct, 10 year age limit on tyres before it fails an MoT. However all is not lost for the folks here as it only applies to vehicles with 8 or more passenger seats, ie: minibuses

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-5-2-3

Although not yet implemented for cars be aware that it may be brought in some time in the near future ...

MM

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”