Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Kia key replacement

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Nemo
Lemon Slice

Kia key replacement

Postby Nemo » April 7th, 2023, 4:56 pm

My wife has a Kia Picanto (2014). Nice car for nipping to the village shops and, as its only done 14k, we intend to keep it for a while. It came with two keys, a small round one that if you were carrying it you pressed a black button one the door handle and this unlocked the car. This has broken and the local garage have quoted £300 for a new door handle. The other key looks like this and I could do with another one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Buttons-Cont ... hdGY&psc=1

Anyone suggest the best way to get another key? I’m not very ‘techie’ so should I just let the local garage sort it out at the next service/MOT?

Thanks

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Kia key replacement

Postby Hallucigenia » April 7th, 2023, 11:04 pm

Nemo wrote:Anyone suggest the best way to get another key? I’m not very ‘techie’ so should I just let the local garage sort it out at the next service/MOT?

Timpson claim to do pretty much any car key, although I've never used them. It would certainly not be difficult to be cheaper than a garage - been there, done that...

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 8th, 2023, 12:29 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
Nemo wrote:Anyone suggest the best way to get another key? I’m not very ‘techie’ so should I just let the local garage sort it out at the next service/MOT?

Timpson claim to do pretty much any car key, although I've never used them. It would certainly not be difficult to be cheaper than a garage - been there, done that...

Not Toyota apparently

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » April 8th, 2023, 6:55 am

When you got the car did you by any chance get a tag or sticker with a rather long random looking alpha-numeric string and an instruction in the manual to keep it in a safe place?

For at least some makes (including Toyota) getting a new key is much simpler and cheaper if you have that string. Without it you may need to do things like leave the doors open for six hours to get the car to register a new key.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 8th, 2023, 9:03 am

Nemo wrote:My wife has a Kia Picanto (2014). Nice car for nipping to the village shops and, as its only done 14k, we intend to keep it for a while. It came with two keys, a small round one that if you were carrying it you pressed a black button one the door handle and this unlocked the car. This has broken and the local garage have quoted £300 for a new door handle. The other key looks like this and I could do with another one:

Thanks

Ok, so do you need a new key, or a new door handle?

Is one key "keyless entry" where the car unlocks as you approach, and the others "traditional" press to unlock remotely?

Alternatively, unless there's something valuable inside, leave it unlocked :) That's what I do with our old Toyota since the central locking failed a few years ago.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 8th, 2023, 9:06 am

From experience, you may need to get a car locksmith involved.

It's fairly easy to get replacement "keys" or the plastic case that houses electronics and physical key. However the ignition immobilizer is another matter.

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » April 8th, 2023, 3:56 pm

Dr Flybes

Is one key "keyless entry" where the car unlocks as you approach, and the others "traditional" press to unlock remotely?

I thought that i needed a new door handle but don’t fancy paying £300 for it. When carrying the little round fob, I used to press a black button on either of the door handles and this unlocked the car doors and allowed the car to start. The driver’s door button does not work. I never liked the fob, preferring the traditional key.

Urbandreamer

From experience, you may need to get a car locksmith involved.

It's fairly easy to get replacement "keys" or the plastic case that houses electronics and physical key. However the ignition immobilizer is another matter.

I hadn’t though of the immobilizer. I’d better get it done professionally.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 8th, 2023, 4:53 pm

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 8th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Nemo wrote:Dr Flybes

I thought that i needed a new door handle but don’t fancy paying £300 for it. When carrying the little round fob, I used to press a black button on either of the door handles and this unlocked the car doors and allowed the car to start. The driver’s door button does not work. I never liked the fob, preferring the traditional key.

Sounds like the fob is fine if it works with the passenger side.

What happens is the vehicle detects the proximity of the keyfob (a bit like a contactless card reader) and then if you press the button on the handle it unlocks and allows the door to open. A lot of vehicle don't have the button on the handle, simply lifting it activates the system. This action (or the presence of the keyfob) then allows you to start the car.

Basically a very complicated and insecure solution to a problem that didn't exist :(

Paul.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 8th, 2023, 8:07 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Basically a very complicated and insecure solution to a problem that didn't exist :(

Paul.

That depends what the "problem" was. I should point out that I date from a time when you could use ANY key, even a house key, to get into a car. There was no ignition immobilizer, so twist a couple of wires (hot wire) and you were off*.

The problem that existed back then is that cars were insecure.

Now I happen to think that of recent years cars have got less secure, but what did you think the "problem that didn't exist" was?

Personally, I happen to like being able to spot my car by operating the key fob. The only time that has let me down was when two of us in the same car park operated our fob's and I got into her car by mistake. She was shocked to say the least.

*No I didn't steal cars and joy ride. But had more than one stolen.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 8th, 2023, 9:52 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
The problem that existed back then is that cars were insecure.

Now I happen to think that of recent years cars have got less secure, but what did you think the "problem that didn't exist" was?

The immense inconvenience and of having to actually put your hand in your pocket and press a button on a keyfob, or use a key to unlock a car, rather than have it magically unlock itself as you walk up to it with the fob in your pocket. The the Kia you still press a button, except it is on the car, not the fob.

Paul

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » April 9th, 2023, 4:02 pm

Kia has a history of not doing locks properly. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64645962

Note that the problem is that they avoided new technology:

The models don't have an electric immobiliser and use a turn-key instead of push-button ignition - so thieves had been using USB cables to hotwire cars.

Not sure if Kia is selling different designs in the US and rest of the world (which will be a problem for Kia in US Courts) or the scrots in the UK are a little slow, but probably not so slow that the OP will have to worry about his Kia for very much longer.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 9th, 2023, 5:37 pm

9873210 wrote:Note that the problem is that they avoided new technology:
The models don't have an electric immobiliser and use a turn-key instead of push-button ignition - so thieves had been using USB cables to hotwire cars.

Oh gosh, it took me all of ten seconds to find out exactly how that's done. :( Of course, a thief has still got to gain access to the car before he can attack the ignition switch...

Which reminds me. Some 35 years ago, thieves screwdrivered the door lock on my 200 series Rover and quickly hard-wired the ignition, but the steering column lock stopped them from going anywhere with it. They needed to use so much force to break the lock that the steering column fell apart. :D A triumph of old tech, wouldn't you say?

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2023, 8:22 pm

9873210 wrote:Kia has a history of not doing locks properly. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64645962

Note that the problem is that they avoided new technology:

Not sure if Kia is selling different designs in the US and rest of the world (which will be a problem for Kia in US Courts) or the scrots in the UK are a little slow, but probably not so slow that the OP will have to worry about his Kia for very much longer.

EU rules required an immobiliser be fitted to new cars after 1998.

However the free market USA had no such requirement so car makers chose whether they did or didn’t - and as immobilisers cost money and don’t sell cars then manufacturers tended not to unless it was a high-end luxury car.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2202165

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2023, 8:30 pm

AF62 wrote:
9873210 wrote:Not sure if Kia is selling different designs in the US and rest of the world (which will be a problem for Kia in US Courts) or the scrots in the UK are a little slow, but probably not so slow that the OP will have to worry about his Kia for very much longer.

EU rules required an immobiliser be fitted to new cars after 1998.

However the free market USA had no such requirement so car makers chose whether they did or didn’t - and as immobilisers cost money and don’t sell cars then manufacturers tended not to.

US variants of vehicles are always different. But it is not always your free market argument. For example, not only are US emissions requirements very strict (*) but they typically comply to the US state with the strictest rules, California, since they cannot make 50 variants for the US.

(*) A MOT exam in the US is called a "smog test". Nothing else is tested!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:EU rules required an immobiliser be fitted to new cars after 1998.

However the free market USA had no such requirement so car makers chose whether they did or didn’t - and as immobilisers cost money and don’t sell cars then manufacturers tended not to.

US variants of vehicles are always different. But it is not always your free market argument. For example, not only are US emissions requirements very strict (*) but they typically comply to the US state with the strictest rules, California, since they cannot make 50 variants for the US.

(*) A MOT exam in the US is called a "smog test". Nothing else is tested!

Of course there are the overriding rules that apply in the US, such as the awful rubber bumpers that sports car manufacturers had to fit to cars shipped to the US in the 70s.

But in this case it is a straightforward free market - American consumers can choose to buy cars with or without immobilisers - and then suffer the consequences of their choice.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”