Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Small car inflation

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Small car inflation

Postby Dicky99 » August 14th, 2023, 11:42 pm

7 years ago I helped my mum to buy a new car. A basic Fiat Panda 1.2 pop. I'm pretty certain that it cost £5,995 give or take a few quid. It's been a very reliable, cost effective, frugal car for her to own.

I was just looking out of no more than interest to see what it would cost for the equivalent model today and the cheapest I can find is just shy of £16k :shock:

By comparison two years previous to that I bought a 10 month old approved used BMW 320d M Sport for £24k. I could get a sub 1 year equivalent today for £34k. Not too bad considering that's a 40% increase in 8 years.

The only explanation for the disparity I can come to is that today the Fiat is only available as a mild hybrid. That seems a ludicrous increase in price for a variant that is only pretending to be an electric vehicle.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Small car inflation

Postby Redmires » August 15th, 2023, 12:58 am

Is the bubble bursting on electric cars though ? A friend bought a 22 plate Renault Zoe with 3k miles for £16k last week from Motorpoint. There's lots in stock, all at a similar price. That's near 50% depreciation. I'm tempted myself to get one as a shopping trolley cum runabout.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 15th, 2023, 7:25 am

Dicky99 wrote:The only explanation for the disparity I can come to is that today the Fiat is only available as a mild hybrid. That seems a ludicrous increase in price for a variant that is only pretending to be an electric vehicle.

So, in terms of what it costs to manufacture, you are comparing like with like?

Seriously a mild hybrid will cost significantly more to make than a simple ICE vehicle. It's not like fitting air con, oh sorry the parts for that also cost don't they.

I confess that my price comparison is the used car market.
I bought my, then 5 year old, I30 for £4.4k 8 years ago. I've stated looking again and it looks like I'll have to pay more like £10k today, if I want something 5 year old. Indeed your £16k for a new hybrid is looking pretty good to me.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » August 15th, 2023, 8:07 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:
Seriously a mild hybrid will cost significantly more to make than a simple ICE vehicle.

An entry level Fiat Panda mild hybrid is in fact a "simple ICE vehicle".

Maybe it's because I'm out of touch with the cost of cars today that I was surprised at just how significantly the cost of an entry level car has changed in that period.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 15th, 2023, 8:22 am

You can get a Dacia Sandero for £12,500 if you want the cheapest motor.

Or another six cars that are cheaper than the Fiat 500.

To be honest the Kia or Hyundai would probably be more reliable too.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... apest-cars

John

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”