Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Smelly aircon

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Smelly aircon

Postby Dicky99 » September 22nd, 2023, 10:26 pm

Ever since my aircon stopped working for a while requiring a new condenser there's a mouldy smell emanating from the vents especially with warm air blowing.
Just wondering how effective the aircon sprays are, the type that you spray into the intake.
Do they effectively deodorise or just mask the smell for a short time?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Smelly aircon

Postby staffordian » September 23rd, 2023, 8:30 am

You can buy an air con cleansing bomb which you release into the (unoccupied) car after switching on the air con.

This then circulates through the entire system. I'd imagine this would get to the parts other treatments cannot reach, to paraphrase an old advert.

First Google hit here, not a recommendation...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-Aut ... B01BMN0DPA

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 23rd, 2023, 9:04 am

Our Avensis had probably been stood when we got it - ex lease car sold via auction and smelled like wet dog occasionally.

I bought a couple of cans of GO4 cleaner and a new pollen filter from Eurocarparts and ran it through, one can with aircon running, one can without.

It made no difference whatsoever.

The thing is, we virtually never run our car ventlation on recirculate otherwise, and usually with aircon off unless needed (except for the first few mins to keep the system turning over. We eventually worked out the smell tended to come when we switched between aircon on or off, with fresh air coming in, so was probably something else.

After about a year of regular use either the smell went away, or we have got used to it. Although we did get a dog about then.

Paul

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » September 23rd, 2023, 4:19 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Our Avensis had probably been stood when we got it - ex lease car sold via auction and smelled like wet dog occasionally.

I bought a couple of cans of GO4 cleaner and a new pollen filter from Eurocarparts and ran it through, one can with aircon running, one can without.

It made no difference whatsoever.

The thing is, we virtually never run our car ventlation on recirculate otherwise, and usually with aircon off unless needed (except for the first few mins to keep the system turning over. We eventually worked out the smell tended to come when we switched between aircon on or off, with fresh air coming in, so was probably something else.

After about a year of regular use either the smell went away, or we have got used to it. Although we did get a dog about then.

Paul

Thanks, the mouldy smell could equally be due to no longer using the car on a daily basis.
Maybe the answer then is to head down the local rescue kennels and get me a wet dog :)

y0rkiebar
2 Lemon pips

Postby y0rkiebar » September 23rd, 2023, 6:34 pm

I replaced the car pollen filter, sprayed a healthy dose of Dettol disinfectant aerosol into all the vents (and the pollen filter housing when filter removed). Then put aircon on full blast for a couple of mins. Seemed to do the job.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”