Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

‘…more to go wrong’

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

‘…more to go wrong’

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 6th, 2023, 11:24 am

It’s a cliché that some of the gadgets, gimmicks, and gizmos on new cars are just more to go wrong. My attitude has been that I just ignore them if useless and certainly wouldn’t pay to have them fixed if they failed. But I’ve just had a fault on a feature I never use which potentially would have kept the car off the road.

Although I find the rear-mounted camera on my Ford useful when reversing, there’s also a front-mounted camera which seems to be of limited use except as a sales gimmick. Adding gimmick to gimmick, the front camera has a washer jet supposedly to keep it clean. Well, the water pipe to the washer jet split, all the screenwasher fluid leaked out, and without screenwashers the car would be an MOT failure and technically off the road. Diagnosis of the problem by the garage involved removing the front bumper, then they removed it again a fortnight later when the replacement bit of water pipe arrived.

Maybe in future I should just stick to the base models, but I hardly think Ford would be a worse offender for useless features than the ‘premium’ marques.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: ‘…more to go wrong’

Postby didds » October 6th, 2023, 3:13 pm

was the front facing camera not a "dash cam" equivalent ?

merely asking :-)

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » October 6th, 2023, 4:03 pm

The plastic water pump (yes really!) of my sons 2018, 50k Miles, fully serviced Mondeo Estate split on the M6 and before he could safely stop, the engine overheated and took out the head, head gasket and damaged the turbo. The repair cost was more than 50% of the value of the car so 'technically' it was a write-off.

This isn't the first time that we as a family have had real (by real I mean expensive) issues with Fords and while some models are undoubtedly good looking and when working are great cars I will never buy another Ford (rent yes but not buy).

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 6th, 2023, 4:45 pm

Sobraon wrote:The plastic water pump (yes really!) of my sons 2018, 50k Miles, fully serviced Mondeo Estate split on the M6 and before he could safely stop, the engine overheated and took out the head, head gasket and damaged the turbo. The repair cost was more than 50% of the value of the car so 'technically' it was a write-off.

This isn't the first time that we as a family have had real (by real I mean expensive) issues with Fords and while some models are undoubtedly good looking and when working are great cars I will never buy another Ford (rent yes but not buy).

I share your scepticism. The Mondeo I was unfortunate enough to drive had some crazy issues. Top of the list was a cambelt that snapped one week before it was booked in to be changed. The camshaft broke into several pieces and the resulting contact of pistons with valves destroyed the cylinder head. Never was I so happy to see the back of a car when I got rid of it.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 6th, 2023, 4:52 pm

didds wrote:was the front facing camera not a "dash cam" equivalent ?

merely asking :-)

No, there is no recording facility. It's more of a "windscreen" equivalent.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 6th, 2023, 5:08 pm

The pipe feeding the windscreen jets on my VW transporter split last year. No water to the jets as it was all leaking out. Assessed the situation. Pipe very obviousl going to be a bugger to replace, but the split was accessible. PTFE tape & then duct tape. Sound repair & no trouble since.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 6th, 2023, 5:58 pm

Water stopped coming out of the windscreen washers on my i10. The diagnosis was a clogged filter in the bottle. I didnt fancy draining it removing it etc.

A dash of household drain unblocker was employed and left to stew for half an hour.. and success. Flush it though with clean water a few times though.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 6th, 2023, 8:55 pm

Sobraon wrote:The plastic water pump (yes really!) of my sons 2018, 50k Miles, fully serviced Mondeo Estate split on the M6 and before he could safely stop, the engine overheated and took out the head, head gasket and damaged the turbo. The repair cost was more than 50% of the value of the car so 'technically' it was a write-off.

"Ecoboom" as they say. Wouldn't touch a Ford with yours.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 6th, 2023, 8:59 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:The pipe feeding the windscreen jets on my VW transporter split last year. No water to the jets as it was all leaking out. Assessed the situation. Pipe very obviousl going to be a bugger to replace, but the split was accessible. PTFE tape & then duct tape. Sound repair & no trouble since.

I had a similar issue with an old Mondeo. I cut the feed pipe, managed to unblock it and then rejoined it with one of these (well, maybe not that particular one but similar!). No more problems until I eventually sold it (a sad day).

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pearl-ho ... -559777810

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 7th, 2023, 10:00 am

I've had 2 Fords, one a 2.0 L Mondeo 2002. A Fiesta 1.4 2009. Both were superbly reliable.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a cam belt on a Mondeo, my 2002 model had a cam chain - far more durable.

I now have a 2013 2.0 TD Skoda Yeti. Just at the cut off point before all manufacturers went ballistic with the silly gizmos and replacing everything mechanical with electronics.

I don't think I want a newer car.j

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”