Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Driving whilst SORNd

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Driving whilst SORNd

Postby DrFfybes » March 28th, 2017, 6:27 pm

My car is SORNd - I was going to tax it at the weekend and go for an MOT. The brakes were advisory last year, and I've had a set on order since October, along with over 100 other people, so it isn't looking hopeful.

However, I realised the MOT is still valid until 22 April.

SO, I could tax it and go for the MOT, but if it fails on the brake discs then I've wasted a month of tax as I'll need to SORN it again until discs become available.

I'm pretty sure this is allowed, but can I go for a pre-booked MOT even though the vehicle still has a valid MOT?

Paul

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Re: Driving whilst SORNd

Postby cavebat » March 28th, 2017, 6:44 pm

According to this - yes you can.

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-r ... n/overview

cavebat

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 28th, 2017, 6:48 pm

AIUI: you can drive TO a pre-booked MoT without tax or valid MoT, and while still SORNed. You must have insurance. You do NOT need valid tax. This govt link says you can drive home from said MOT while still SORNed too. I don't see why existing mot changes that.

Of course if the vehicle fails an MOT for a safety related issue, then you could still be nicked for driving an unroadworthy vehicle. (Regardless of whether your old MoT remains valid)

Gryff

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 28th, 2017, 7:25 pm

The brakes were advisory last year, and I've had a set on order since October, along with over 100 other people, so it isn't looking hopeful.

Flipping heck, what's the back story to this one, then? Is it a rare classic that requires hand-crafted bits that are only made at irregular intervals? (Oh no, surely not the Maserati?) :o

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 29th, 2017, 1:47 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
The brakes were advisory last year, and I've had a set on order since October, along with over 100 other people, so it isn't looking hopeful.

Flipping heck, what's the back story to this one, then? Is it a rare classic that requires hand-crafted bits that are only made at irregular intervals? (Oh no, surely not the Maserati?) :o

Some manufacturers who see their products as 'premiere' are extremely protectionist about aftermarket spares, allegedly threatening to sue aftermarket suppliers. When the vehicles in question are now a minimum of 10 years old, and the parts are not available from usual suppliers, (although there is one set on Ebay in Germany) then this becomes somewhat irritating. Given their aims of becoming more 'mass market' then this might bite them in the bum, as it has put me off buying anything else from the same manufacturing conglomerate.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”