Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Audi sensor alert

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Nemo
Lemon Slice

Re: Audi sensor alert

Postby Nemo » February 9th, 2024, 2:18 pm

Just heard from the garage and have a diagnostics report. The garage owner say nothing at all to worry about from the tests.

He suggested the short 'judder' that i felt was from the four wheel drive that I always use. "It somes gets confused" he explained. This is the second time in almost six years that this has happened so perhaps nothing to worry about.

The car was registered in 2018 and has done 10,000 miles (I know, but there is a good reason for this).

Should a 'judder' every three years or so be a worry.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 9th, 2024, 2:28 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm a bit puzzled. I have an old Audi SQ5 and I don't think it has warning lights. Messages come up on the display that tell you in words if stuff is wrong. Or mebbe I've just never had a red light fault to date!

I've spent all of 60 seconds perusing this, but from what I understand you're supposed to get the Central Indicator light plus a textual description of what's gone wrong. So you might both be right?

But these warning light thingies can be very confusing, especially since VW/Audi seem to fit such a variety of them. I remember when my old Passat (57 reg) started emitting a deep bong from the dash every time I took a right-hand bend. It was well after midnight, and I was on a long narrow lane - so I stopped but then decided to drive on carefully.

The next morning showed that my brake fluid was at just above the warning level. (Nothing suspicious, just piston travel.) And every time I took a right-hander, centrifugal force carried the reservoir fluid over to one side, so that the other side was down and the low level warning sounder went off. There wasn't a word about any of this in the owner's manual, which didn't mention the sounder at all. Sheesh. :|

BJ

Just to clarify, I've had a better look now and there are no "Warning Lights" on my dashboard, as in actual light bulbs that illuminate to indicate a fault. The LCD screen(s) that comprises the dashboard display does however briefly show a couple of images of warning lamps when turning the ignition on. But you can't look at them later (once the engine has started) to check the 'bulbs' are not lit, because they disappear and different stuff appears on the screen(s).

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 9th, 2024, 2:43 pm

Just heard from the garage and have a diagnostics report. The garage owner say nothing at all to worry about from the tests.

He suggested the short 'judder' that i felt was from the four wheel drive that I always use. "It somes gets confused" he explained. This is the second time in almost six years that this has happened so perhaps nothing to worry about.

The car was registered in 2018 and has done 10,000 miles (I know, but there is a good reason for this).

Hmmm....If it is a red light the diagnostics usually indicate a code fault and your man should be able to translate that code into possible causes. I am a great believer that things happen for a reason with all machinery, but on the other hand, on a fairly new car with so few miles I cannot think it is a major concern. Are you able to describe the judder more accurately?

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 9th, 2024, 3:34 pm

Oggy wrote:

Hmmm....If it is a red light the diagnostics usually indicate a code fault and your man should be able to translate that code into possible causes. I am a great believer that things happen for a reason with all machinery, but on the other hand, on a fairly new car with so few miles I cannot think it is a major concern. Are you able to describe the judder more accurately?

The car slowed for a few seconds and there was quite a loud mechanical noise (it made pedestrians turn around). I felt a vibration come up through the streering and the red triangle came on the dash. Then everything turn back to normal very quickly.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 9th, 2024, 3:47 pm

Nemo wrote:Just heard from the garage and have a diagnostics report. The garage owner say nothing at all to worry about from the tests.

Ah! I have had the wheels almost lock with a ‘judder’ but have been able to identify it via the presence of another vehicle close by in front of me or ditto pedestrians. I would not worry about that as I think it is planned that way. Modern Audis are a pain with all these so called safety features.

Sorry. I should have thought about that earlier. I do not remember a light coming on mind you. Early on, when my car was in for a service, I asked for someone to switch off as many of these warnings as possible. I think they are just distracting. The only one I like is the warning when reversing in a tight space.

Dod

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 9th, 2024, 4:23 pm

The car slowed for a few seconds and there was quite a loud mechanical noise (it made pedestrians turn around). I felt a vibration come up through the streering and the red triangle came on the dash. Then everything turn back to normal very quickly.

Did the red light extinguish? All a bit odd unless it is as Dod says. Otherwise dodgy ABS somewhere? - sensor maybe?....Intermittent faults are the most annoying. Browse some Audi forums perhaps?

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 10th, 2024, 9:51 am

Mike4 wrote:
Just to clarify, I've had a better look now and there are no "Warning Lights" on my dashboard, as in actual light bulbs that illuminate to indicate a fault. The LCD screen(s) that comprises the dashboard display does however briefly show a couple of images of warning lamps when turning the ignition on. But you can't look at them later (once the engine has started) to check the 'bulbs' are not lit, because they disappear and different stuff appears on the screen(s).

Perhaps if there is a fault though, they would stay on the screen?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 10th, 2024, 1:48 pm

Oggy wrote:

Did the red light extinguish? All a bit odd unless it is as Dod says. Otherwise dodgy ABS somewhere? - sensor maybe?....Intermittent faults are the most annoying. Browse some Audi forums perhaps?

Yes my experience was the ABS suddenly coming on. Does not often happen so it is a bit of a shock when it does. It certainly causes a judder. Sounds as if that is what it was.

Dod

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 10th, 2024, 4:44 pm

Yes my experience was the ABS suddenly coming on. Does not often happen so it is a bit of a shock when it does. It certainly causes a judder. Sounds as if that is what it was.

I think that you may be right when I think of my previous experience of ABS. It has happened on other Q5's

https://www.myaudiq5.com/threads/emerge ... ing.80673/

It's only happened twice in six years so i should be able to live with it as long as it does not get more frequent.

Do I need to go back to the garage and explain what I now think? If it's working OK now is there anything that they can do about it? Or should I be looking at another car?

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 10th, 2024, 7:48 pm

Do I need to go back to the garage and explain what I now think? If it's working OK now is there anything that they can do about it? Or should I be looking at another car?

It wouldn't hurt to see what they say. Thinking further, I guess if the fault wasn't present when they plugged in the diagnostic they would not have been able to read anything. Bit OTT to start looking for another car IMHO. Forums are very good. Ask the same question and see what comes back.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 10th, 2024, 8:08 pm

Nemo wrote:

I think that you may be right when I think of my previous experience of ABS. It has happened on other Q5's

https://www.myaudiq5.com/threads/emerge ... ing.80673/

It's only happened twice in six years so i should be able to live with it as long as it does not get more frequent.

Personally I would just forget it now and enjoy the car. I doubt very much that there is any fault. But that is not advice, just what I would do!

Dod

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”