Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Is my BMW cheating on me?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Is my BMW cheating on me?

Postby redsturgeon » March 6th, 2024, 9:32 am

I needed to get my car fixed, the infotainment system is on the blink and it sounds like I have a bearing gone on the offside rear wheel. So I phone my local BMW dealer. I tell them about the infotainment problem. The conversation goes like this:

BMW: "Is it OK if our technicians communicate directly with your car sir?"

Me: Err, I guess so. Shall I put it on the phone now?

BMW: No sir that won't be necessary. Any other issues?

Me: Apart from letting my car talk to strangers. There is a wheel bearing I need checking.

BMW: Is it OK if our technicians communicate directly with your car on this issue too, sir?

Me: Well I guess while they are chatting they could discuss that too.

BMW: Thank you sir. Is that all?

Me. Will you be send me the bill or should I just let the car sort it?

BMW (Click, sound of hanging up)

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is my BMW cheating on me?

Postby Howard » March 6th, 2024, 11:34 am

Looking forward to the next instalment already :) !

regards

Howard

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 7th, 2024, 7:50 am

My BMW refused to speak to those nice men in Chandlers Ford so they have spoken to their bosses in Germany who "haf vays of making her talk" apparently. If this works it will cost £50. If she still refuses to talk then it is £1000+ for a new head unit! BMW have always been reassuringly expensive!

On that same note I had suggested that the rear offside wheel bearing was making complaining noises. When I phoned to check progress I was told that the technician could hear nothing amiss. I suggested they have another listen. When I picked up the car they said that the rear offside wheel bearing was indeed in a bad way. No surprise to me. I was surprised however by the proposed cost to repair...£700. Reassuringly expensive again!

Cars hey...you've got to love 'em.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 7th, 2024, 9:25 am

redsturgeon wrote:When I picked up the car they said that the rear offside wheel bearing was indeed in a bad way. No surprise to me. I was surprised however by the proposed cost to repair...£700. Reassuringly expensive again!

Cars hey...you've got to love 'em.

OK - that's steep. It was only £450 on the maserati, and in those you need to replace the entire hub as apparently it is made of cheese and you can't get the shot bearing out. I assume you're looking at a local garage for this simple task.

When we got MrsF's Z4M we were quoted £1500 for leaking rear calipers when it went into the dealer for a service (might also have included disks). That was June 2016.

Oddly the seven MOTs since seem to have missed this fault, I wonder if it was due to the damp morning when it first went in. The £1200 or for the front discs turned into £600 when I found them on 40% discount in Eurocarparts bank hol sale and paid a local chap to fit them.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 7th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Don't even think about what your BMW gets up to with the other BMWs in the garage in the middle of the night, when all the mechanics have gone home.

It's why there are so many of those little i3s on the roads these days, I reckon.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”