Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Asda Tyres

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Asda Tyres

Postby Dicky99 » March 7th, 2024, 4:17 pm

Today I ordered two Pirellis for £380 for fitting in 1 weeks time via the Asda Tyres website and the money was taken from my account instantly, as is always the case.

A couple of hours later I get a message saying they don't have the stock and inviting me to choose alternatives, but the alternatives are not particularly good value. The cynic in me thinks this could be tactical. Afterall they have a week to sort this out.

So I call to cancel the order and am advised that the refund will take up to 6 days, meanwhile I have to pay again for new tyres.

I state that I'm not happy with this service and would like to raise a complaint, "please tell me who can I address my complaint to". But the call handler repeatedly tells me that due to their terms and conditions I can't raise a complaint it will only be considered to be feedback.
I ended up in a bit of a stand off until he relented and provided the customer services contact details though I'm not at all expecting them to be very apologetic especially if the same bod is also the customer service person :|

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Asda Tyres

Postby Gerry557 » March 7th, 2024, 5:02 pm

You could use a credit card to offset in and outgoings which should update before you get the bill.

Lots of companies have a several days return policy so that didn't seem unusual to me.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 7th, 2024, 5:28 pm

Hmmm, as soon as you move away from Trustpilot the Asda customer reviews seem to go down steeply. I wonder how that happens?

https://britainreviews.co.uk/car-rental ... es-reviews has many reported cases where people have paid for tyres and have then been told that they're not available. https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/asda-tyres likewise.

Mind you, competent fitters seem to be a rare breed. Kwik-Fit once put the (slightly) wrong size tyre on my wife's VW and managed to bend the sill with the trolley jack. Neither of which I noticed at the time, or indeed until the car failed its MOT two months later because of the mismatch. (Oops. :oops: ) "Oh," said the manager calmly, when I tackled him about it, "that fitter doesn't work for us any more....."

I didn't have much more luck with Tyres on the Drive, which come to your house to fit the new rubber. The clown told me to go and have a cup of tea, and he'd call me when he was done. And when I came out, I found that he replaced a partly-worn tyre instead of the semi-threadbare one I'd asked him to do. :evil: When I tackled him about it, he said he hadn't got any more valves in the van, so he wouldn't be able to do the right tyre that day. Would next week be all right?

The next day, I had a tyre pressure light on the M4. To cut a long story short, it turned out that the TOTD goon had only finger-tightened the valve stems on two of my tyres. Could have been really very nasty indeed. :|

And then there was the fitter in southern France who finished my tyre job with both my (directional) Michelins back to front, and then went home with my wheelnut key in his pocket. It's almost a comfort to know that other countries get it as badly wrong (or worse) as we do. Grrrrr.

Ob rec: BlackCircles have always been good for me, although you sometimes have to wait a bit for the right price promotions to come along.

BJ

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 7th, 2024, 8:51 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Ob rec: BlackCircles have always been good for me, although you sometimes have to wait a bit for the right price promotions to come along.

BJ

Hmm should've checked those reviews first.

The thing that's put me off in the past with Black Circles is that the options offered for fitters near me are of the dodgy looking corrugated asbestos shed types.

Still can't believe though that we ended up in an argument as to whether or not I was permitted to complain.

I've rebooked with National Tyres now. Interestingly the closest 3 fitting centres were flagged as having a £5 supplement but the more distant ones were as quoted. Smells like another scam to me ;)

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 7th, 2024, 10:44 pm

I tried the Halford mobile service after a neighbour recommended them. Four new tyres at a decent price (slightly cheaper than Blackcircles quote) and the chap turned up as stated and completed the work in less than an hour. Very happy with the service provided.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 8th, 2024, 9:21 am

Dicky99 wrote:Today I ordered two Pirellis for £380 for fitting in 1 weeks time via the Asda Tyres website and the money was taken from my account instantly, as is always the case.

A couple of hours later I get a message saying they don't have the stock and inviting me to choose alternatives, but the alternatives are not particularly good value. The cynic in me thinks this could be tactical. Afterall they have a week to sort this out.

So I call to cancel the order and am advised that the refund will take up to 6 days, meanwhile I have to pay again for new tyres.

I state that I'm not happy with this service and would like to raise a complaint, "please tell me who can I address my complaint to". But the call handler repeatedly tells me that due to their terms and conditions I can't raise a complaint it will only be considered to be feedback.
I ended up in a bit of a stand off until he relented and provided the customer services contact details though I'm not at all expecting them to be very apologetic especially if the same bod is also the customer service person :|

Yes, I used the Asda tyre service a year or two back, after a neighbour recommended them. The prices were good. I was wary though after reading many reviews that when people turned up, they didn't have the tyres they had ordered. Exactly that happened.

When I got there the tyre shop (where the appointment had been made), they were running over an hour late on appointments, due to a staff member being off sick. Initially and twice during the wait I asked: you do have the correct tyres I ordered, don't you, quoting them by name, only to be sidestepped, by comments that we have them all piled up ready type of thing. Anyway, after a 2 hour wait, they embarrassingly informed me that the tyres I had ordered hadn't come in. I was left with take something else, or book a new appointment for another day! I was not happy and told Asda so.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 8th, 2024, 10:06 am

Dicky99 wrote:Today I ordered two Pirellis for £380 for fitting in 1 weeks time via the Asda Tyres website and the money was taken from my account instantly, as is always the case.

I use Shaddicks, a local commercial vehicles company.
Let them order the tyres, or I supply them.

I trust them, mostly, but I watch where they do the jacking, and when they're done I do the final nut tightening. They've been fine for the Landy, the 205 and the Rolls.

I never go anywhere based on price. In the past I've had wheel nuts impossible to undo without a scaffold pole, and wheel lock keys bent. The tyre trade does seem to attract a certain class of undesirables.

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 8th, 2024, 10:37 am

People have good and bad experiences with everywhere..

I got a car back from halfords 2 years ago with one of the locking nuts still in the key on the passenger seat - good job I'm the only person who checks the torque when I get home.

I also got 3 tyres from BC when I ordered 4. They then asked for proof there were only 3 sent. The 4th arrived a week later and was 2 years old when I checked the date on it.

And I took a loose wheel into a well respected bike tyre place and they put the tyre on backwards, despite the wheel having moulded arrows on it and I'd drawn them on the discs in marker pen.

Paul

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 8th, 2024, 4:19 pm

richfool wrote:
Yes, I used the Asda tyre service a year or two back, after a neighbour recommended them. The prices were good. I was wary though after reading many reviews that when people turned up, they didn't have the tyres they had ordered. Exactly that happened.

When I got there the tyre shop (where the appointment had been made), they were running over an hour late on appointments, due to a staff member being off sick. Initially and twice during the wait I asked: you do have the correct tyres I ordered, don't you, quoting them by name, only to be sidestepped, by comments that we have them all piled up ready type of thing. Anyway, after a 2 hour wait, they embarrassingly informed me that the tyres I had ordered hadn't come in. I was left with take something else, or book a new appointment for another day! I was not happy and told Asda so.

Looking at the reviews links and others' similar experiences with Asda Tyres it seems I may have had a lucky escape, assuming I actually get my dosh back :?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 9th, 2024, 9:16 am

Dicky99 wrote:
richfool wrote:

Looking at the reviews links and others' similar experiences with Asda Tyres it seems I may have had a lucky escape, assuming I actually get my dosh back :?

I was due a refund because the tyres the dealer offered me were cheaper, but as far as I recall, I did get the refund, though I had to pursue it through and explain it to, Asda.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”