Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Whisper it...

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Whisper it...

Postby redsturgeon » April 3rd, 2017, 8:00 am

I actually quite enjoyed Top Gear this week.

Chris Hoy can really drive, the GT40 looked really cool and the monster truck racing was insane!

John

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Whisper it...

Postby UncleIan » April 3rd, 2017, 1:34 pm

Says it out loud:

I liked that episode, it was good. Even with Eddie Jordan in it.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 3rd, 2017, 2:23 pm

Top Gear is so last year.......most of the world has moved on to greater and better things.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 3rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

richlist wrote:Top Gear is so last year.......most of the world has moved on to greater and better things.

Such as? If you're referring to The Grand Tour, may I refer the honorable gentleman to the bit where the star guest "hilariously" comes to a sticky end. Every week.

My only quibble with last night's episode is the star in the reasonably quick car. Ok, Sir Chris Hoy is more famous for being a cyclist, but he raced last year's Le Mans, so he's hardly a novice. It was still entertaining though, and that's the main criteria against which it should be judged.

Give it a go with an open mind, you never know, you might not have to watch countryfile.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 3rd, 2017, 2:49 pm

Fortunately like most of the country, I no longer have only two or three tv channels to watch. Finding an alternative to the out of date, old fashioned Top Gear that is desperately trying to redeem itself and improve viewing figures.....isn't at all difficult.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 3rd, 2017, 3:21 pm

richlist wrote:Fortunately like most of the country, I no longer have only two or three tv channels to watch. Finding an alternative to the out of date, old fashioned Top Gear that is desperately trying to redeem itself and improve viewing figures.....isn't at all difficult.

I'll ask again then. Such as?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 3rd, 2017, 10:03 pm

I agree that the feature about the Ford GT (please note at the risk of this being shifted to Pedants' Corner it's not the GT40 - that was the old one) was interesting and well done.

I wasn’t really interested in Chris Hoy, but the celebrity interview has always been my least favourite aspect of the show anyway, even under the old regime, and he was no worse than most of them. But he's clearly an experienced competitive driver, and his lap time was therefore a bit meaningless, as well as making it virtually impossible for any future driver to beat it and thereby removing what modest fun there is from the contest.

I also think the dire training lap with Harris is the TG equivalent of The American in TGT - very irritating, and it should be ditched.

The monster thingy racing was undoubtedly entertaining, but it was the spectacle that was the attraction, and I felt the individual presenters were largely irrelevant. Which was just as well. I've decided I can't stand Eddie Jordan, and I can't for the life of me understand why they've resurrected him.

I also find that Sabine's voice really grates on me. She's undoubtedly a brilliant driver, but she has no real presentational skills, and if it's considered essential to have a woman presenter there must surely be plenty of other women who could do the job better.

And poor old Rory is beginning to look uncomfortably tokenistic. It was positively cringe-inducing watching that rubbish about robot electric racing cars, where he was made to look like an idiot. He seems a decent presenter when he's given the chance, but the show seems obsessed with LePlank and Harris, both of whom I still find inherently unlikeable people.

So yes, a big improvement on Series 1, with some genuinely good features, but one of the reasons for the improvement was the disappearance of Schmitz and Jordan, and their reappearance in this episode was ominous. And for me it’s still lacking any real relationship between the presenters or the genuine humour that existed in the old TG. None of this lot is a natural humorist, and I can’t stand the way they all laugh like hyenas at each other’s feeble – and so obviously scripted - attempts at humour. It would be far better if they just gave up trying and concentrated on the cars.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”