Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Grand Tour is now available

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Re: The Grand Tour is now available

Postby PrincessB » November 27th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Perhaps some of the focus has been lost, the BBC show was very much a British show that was sold abroad whereas this is a show that is meant to play just as well in Canberra, Cape Town, Cologne and Canterbury. I wonder if it's been killed by a huge committee of writers trying to make it all things for all people.

I found the three of them working to a script rather offputting and the lack of atmosphere in the tent really showed (Not many people in their either).

This may well be part of some kind of plan. The first episode was great and the first five minutes were fabulous, a bit like Star Wars Episode 3 where the first 20 minutes were so huge there was no chance the rest of the film could ever keep up.

Those who wish to see this show are either Prime members or on free trial and I would expect the pace to pick up as we approach episode five in order to convince those who are unsure whether to cancel or not to give it a years worth.

B.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 27th, 2016, 6:16 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Episode 2 - sad to report, pretty boring :(

Yes, and I'm afraid the faults are largely a result of it being made in America by an American company.

The apparently unlimited funding (or certainly unlimited compared to the BBC) has meant the producer taking the lazy way out in thinking that spending pots of money on a production is an adequate substitute for high quality content. This is an American trait in films generally - concentrate on what it looks like rather than what it says.

By contrast, the financial limits imposed by the BBC meant that this wasn't an option, so they had to concentrate on good content.

The second half of episode 2 in the desert was just stupid. Not only did it have nothing at all to do with cars, but the whole concept was just an expensive exercise in total pointlessness. What was it supposed to be? Drama? Comedy? I kept thinking surely it must be coming to an end, but it dragged on ... and on ...

I did enjoy some of the the studio section, and thought the jokes about the idiot Zuma were very amusing. The conversation bit was reasonably OK, as well. But the celebrity death joke has already worn thin, the only saving grace being that at least we're saved from having to listen to the vapid self-promotion of the celebrity itself.

But I can't stand that idiot ex-Indy driver, Mike Skinner, who is one of the worst symptoms of the American ownership of the show. He may once have been a sort of racing driver but he's nearly 60, he looks like he's eaten excessive quantities of beefburgers and spouts redneck drivel that is just embarrassing. He may be able to drive a crude US muscle car round in circles but he just looks and sounds totally out of place driving a serious sports car, and it's an insult to a high performance car to put someone like him behind its wheel.

So yes, a very disappointing episode, and the sad thing is that as all the episodes have now presumably been made the public reaction can make no difference to future ones.

The only saving grace is that I read somewhere that episode 2 was actually the first episode to be filmed, and that episode 1 was made later. If true, then on the basis that episode 1 was much better it may be that the problems with this one were recognised and corrected in later shows. We shall see.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 1st, 2016, 10:14 pm

I followed the link posted above to watch the first show. Nothing like as good as when they were on the BBC. Shame, because for me that was great entertainment.

I hope they can knock the rough edges off and get back to what they do best. They had a tried and tested formula what worked, no need to re-invent the wheel.

The celebrity section didn't work. The American driver was a stereotype, not funny. RAF being the best air force in the world was contrived and should have been a one liner rather than being repeated. Even the 3 supercar section wasn't up to their normal standard.

No more than 5 out of 10. Without the opening sequence it would be less.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 2nd, 2016, 12:28 am

I understand episode 3 is much better - maybe because it's set in England!

It's on tomorrow so we'll see ...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 2nd, 2016, 8:35 am

They had a tried and tested formula what worked, no need to re-invent the wheel.

Unfortunately some of the bits of the old show were owned by the BBC so they could not use them.

John

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 3rd, 2016, 2:17 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I understand episode 3 is much better - maybe because it's set in England!

It's on tomorrow so we'll see ...

The show started off very well, with an enthusiasm that had been lacking previously. Unfortunately, it then got lost in being performed by bad actors. Long pauses for effect, telegraphed situations and frankly, bad acting by the guys.
Not only that, despite being far from a prude, I can't bear the mandatory swearing which is being included in each episode, I can only assume for some kind of 'street cred' reasons. There is no need for each episode to include mild swearing, which has never been spontaneous or believable, and I have no real idea why the producers think it necessary. I can only assume it is included to make it 'edgy' but to me, it detracts from the programme's appeal.

The other thing is, it doesn't have the natural feel that Top Gear had. I'm sure both programmes had their dialogue scripted and reworked until the producers were satisfied, but The Grand Tour is too obviously staged in every respect. A few times, I was thinking what the response would be, a moment before the actors delivered their predestined lines.

I still like the three of them together, I'd rather have TGT available to watch than not, but I do hope that as the series progresses, editorial control is loosened a bit. Seeing Jeremy perched atop a septic tank with a chair fitted, and waiting for him to bang his head in a non-spontaneous unscripted way, would have Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and Norman Wisdom turning in their graves.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 3rd, 2016, 10:09 pm

I really enjoyed most of this episode, mainly because it was much more like the old TG, and we were spared the slot with that irritating Indy driver.

It helped a great deal that it was set in Italy, and although with such stunning scenery it's hard to go wrong some of the photography was brilliant - almost enough to persuade me to trade up to a 4K TV. But I thought they all seemed much more natural than in the previous episodes, and I did enjoy the `road test' elements with respect to the Rolls and the Aston. I also enjoyed seeing James May's reaction to the exceptionally irritating Hammond's (highly successful) attempts to wind him up - it seemed to me that May's reactions were entirely genuine, and I could fully sympathise.

But I again felt the malign influence of the USA in giving Hammond that hideous Dodge Charger (why don't they just call it the Dodge Redneck?) and making him do doughnuts by the Uffizi, which no doubt pleased a lot of the teenage viewers but left me feeling vaguely embarrassed. It's this shouty, adolescent boy element that's most annoying about TGT, and is reminiscent of the late, unlamented Chris Evans. If it had been TG I'm pretty sure Hammond would have been given another English GT car, and we could have enjoyed something rather more subtle and witty, but I suppose it's unrealistic to hope for this from a US financed show.

On the plus side I was pleased to experience something I hadn't during the first two episodes - laughter! There were a few scenes that I did find genuinely funny, and I also enjoyed Clarkson's septic tank car.

So overall a much better experience - 7 or even 8 out of 10 for me - and if it only maintains this standard I'll be quite happy to pay the Prime subscription.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » December 4th, 2016, 11:13 am

I watched Ep 3 last night, one thing I didn't get was the repeated references to the Aston being brown!

To my eyes on my TV it was clearly red, not the fire engine red of Hammys Charger but most definitely RED.

Do I need a new TV?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 4th, 2016, 5:37 pm

robbelg wrote:I watched Ep 3 last night, one thing I didn't get was the repeated references to the Aston being brown!

To my eyes on my TV it was clearly red, not the fire engine red of Hammys Charger but most definitely RED.

Do I need a new TV?

I've not seen it, but I wonder if the "brown " being referred to was David Brown, erstwhile owner of Aston martin and the "DB" in the name of many models.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 4th, 2016, 7:40 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I've not seen it, but I wonder if the "brown " being referred to was David Brown, erstwhile owner of Aston martin and the "DB" in the name of many models.

I think such subtleties would be unlikely to register with the average GT viewer (especially those in the US).

I understand its official colour is "sunburst orange", but it certainly looked brown at times - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/ ... 319645.jpg

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 5th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Episode Three seemed to be over in a flash

Perhaps it was something to do with lunch at a London Restaurant which included unlimited Prosecco, fifteen glasses of the stuff over two and a half hours along with a bloody mary and a couple of drinks at the pub on the way back from the station may have affected me slightly.

What I'm wondering is whether I should pay up after my free trial of Amazon Prime expires. The show is a great way to zone out for an hour but most of the other stuff on prime is alarmingly American and as I don't watch that much TV or order much from Amazon, it seems a lot of money.*

I was also wondering quite what I expected. Like some others, I'm finding the over scripting jarring and the off colour remarks juvenile. There also seems to be little enthusing about expensive cars (Apart from shouting YAAARRHH! a lot) and historically some of the most enjoyable skits on the old Top Gear involved a budget and clapped out sports cars etc.

Whether we will ever see the brilliance of the one where they tested the build quality of some old 70's cars by pumping them full of water while they drove around the track wearing snorkels and wetsuits remains to be seen.

B.

* Not being into the overly heavy stuff - Prime has Lucifer series one and two and while it's a bit light and fluffy, it is clear that everyone is having a great time making it - Just a mention if anyone else is also on their free month.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » December 6th, 2016, 11:49 am

I really enjoyed the third episode. More of the same please :)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 6th, 2016, 1:44 pm

PrincessB wrote:What I'm wondering is whether I should pay up after my free trial of Amazon Prime expires. The show is a great way to zone out for an hour but most of the other stuff on prime is alarmingly American and as I don't watch that much TV or order much from Amazon, it seems a lot of money.

As I understand it (and I'm not sure that I do) you can either pay £79 for a year's subscription to Prime or pay it at £5.99 a month.

If you don't want the other benefits of Prime then the monthly sub would work out at just over £1 per episode, which doesn't seem unduly expensive.

unlimited Prosecco, fifteen glasses of the stuff over two and a half hours along with a bloody mary and a couple of drinks at the pub on the way back from the station

Now at well over £100 that's what I would call `a lot of money'! ;)

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » December 7th, 2016, 9:17 am

And the books, and the free next day delivery?

Also note, they weren't recorded in the order shown, so I suspect episode 2 was 1st.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 9th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Just watched Episode 4 and I would say I enjoyed it the most to date. Bit of a surprise it was still in Whitby, that threw me a bit, I thought I was watching last week's again!

Won't say too much more but would be interested to see what others thought, I am usually the odd one out!

John

whistler360

Postby whistler360 » December 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I thought episode 4 was the best yet. The celebrity brain crash bit (or whatever it's called) was as naff as the previous episodes. However, I thought the car review was good and some of the "banter" during the challenge genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Whistler

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 9th, 2016, 10:43 pm

I too thought it was the best episode so far, much more relaxed than previously. It's getting into its stride at last.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 10th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Won't say too much more but would be interested to see what others thought, I am usually the odd one out!

I thorougly enjoyed it. Perhaps after the hype and expectation I was simply looking forward to an hour of simple solid amusement and it delivered it.

I was rather impressed at the slating the BMW got - I doubt the BBC would have let that through, and as we've all noted there were a few coded messages along the way which adds to the fun.

I enjoyed the bit where they said something like 'Someone who tries very hard and still isn't any good' The camera panned to May just after spouse said 'Chris Evans'.

On a similar note, Clarkson said 'Normally with a car like this I would say 'However'' and give the good points. I've always like Clarksons ability to sum up a car in a few words and as he is no longer forced to find the positive side he can actually say what he really thinks.

An excellent hours TV.

B.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 16th, 2016, 9:58 pm

I know it's a bit late, but Amazon seem to have realised that close to midnight on Friday is a worse choice than 'Friday'

The latest one is now available and while some things worked and others didn't the filming is some of the best I have ever seen. We all started out impressed, this one left me astonished at some of the scenes.

B.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 17th, 2016, 12:51 am

PrincessB wrote:I know it's a bit late, but Amazon seem to have realised that close to midnight on Friday is a worse choice than 'Friday'

The latest one is now available and while some things worked and others didn't the filming is some of the best I have ever seen. We all started out impressed, this one left me astonished at some of the scenes.

B.

I watched it at 4pm this afternoon, it is very good.

John

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”