Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to SalvorHardin,Loup321,pje16,AsleepInYorkshire,swill453, for Donating to support the site

Lemon trees in the UK

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
redbluerhino

Re: Lemon trees in the UK

Postby redbluerhino » January 1st, 2021, 10:17 pm

Hi All, hope everyone is well.

I recently purchased a Meyer lemon tree. I have one south facing window (porch) but the night time temperature drops to 3.5-6.5 degrees Celsius. The north facing windows get hardly any direct sunlight but the temperature remains around a more comfortable 15 degrees Celsius. The tree is currently healthy, a few lemons and a few bud clusters.

To date I have been moving the tree to the porch when it's been sunny and then to the north facing window when it gets cold - based on everyone's knowledge/experience would this cause significant distress to the tree?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter

Postby Nimrod103 » January 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm

I started the thread, because I had bought 2 lemon trees. These have been outside all summer, but I brought them back into the conservatory in mid November, just before the first really cold spell hit here. They are thriving with many fruit now yellowing up.

In my view the lemon trees will handle the cold well, as long as they are on the dry side. Certainly down to the c.4 deg C in my conservatory, and probably down to freezing. However, I do think they need plenty of light all the time, so moving them into a north facing porch does not sound such a good idea to me.

redbluerhino

Postby redbluerhino » July 21st, 2021, 8:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well. I have a potted Meyer lemon, the pots probably a bit too big for the tree but the tree is thriving, new growth, healthy leaves (no leaf drop whatsoever in the last 6 months), and growing new lemons. I water about 4 pints and the soil remains moist for between 35-40 days (use a meter to measure), i haven't noticed a significant change to this over the recent warmer months. I usually fertilise at each watering as well.

I'm just wondering whether the 35-40 days between watering is a consequence of the pot being too large? Browsing the net i've found somewhere that says that you shouldn't go beyond a month between watering but i consistently do with my tree and it seems to be doing ok. Just wondering what other peoples experience is in terms of watering durations, has anyone regularly watered once per month?

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter

Postby Nimrod103 » July 21st, 2021, 10:38 pm

redbluerhino wrote:Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well. I have a potted Meyer lemon, the pots probably a bit too big for the tree but the tree is thriving, new growth, healthy leaves (no leaf drop whatsoever in the last 6 months), and growing new lemons. I water about 4 pints and the soil remains moist for between 35-40 days (use a meter to measure), i haven't noticed a significant change to this over the recent warmer months. I usually fertilise at each watering as well.

I'm just wondering whether the 35-40 days between watering is a consequence of the pot being too large? Browsing the net i've found somewhere that says that you shouldn't go beyond a month between watering but i consistently do with my tree and it seems to be doing ok. Just wondering what other peoples experience is in terms of watering durations, has anyone regularly watered once per month?

I water very irregularly, though perhaps averaging every two weeks, with rainwater. Plus the pots are now outside, so get whatever rain is falling. It doesn't seem to be bad for the two trees I have, which are now about 1 metre tall (from soil level). They do drop a few leaves, but they grow new shoots with new leaves, so there seems to be no net loss. Last years crop was phenomenal, which may have had something to do with repotting. This years is OK, but nowhere near so many.
I would have thought how quickly the compost dries out has a lot to do with where the pot is in relation to wind, draughts, sun, shadow etc.

Return to “The Natural World”