Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

House Plants and Big Plant Pots

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
john10001
2 Lemon pips

House Plants and Big Plant Pots

Postby john10001 » July 6th, 2022, 10:16 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a place where they have a decent selection of house plants at reasonable prices?

I recently went to Ikea and the snake plant was £20 or was it £22? I had previously got one from Ikea for £6.99 so that shows just how much some places are hiking prices.

I am also looking for plant pots fairly urgently. I need several deep planters and one that is wide and quite deep. My allotment lease was unfairly terminated with no notice for untrue reasons so now I'm trying to source pots to retrieve all my plants, vines and trees from the site. I'm also looking for a new allotment but my chance of finding one at such short notice is very low. There are 10 year waiting lists in my town for some allotment sites.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: House Plants and Big Plant Pots

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2022, 10:38 am

john10001 wrote:I recently went to Ikea and the snake plant was £20 or was it £22? I had previously got one from Ikea for £6.99 so that shows just how much some places are hiking prices.

An awful lot of plants in the retail sheds have been raised in the Netherlands, using cheap natural gas which is no longer cheap. But actually I think anything bulky or heavy has gone up disproportionately. No idea whether that's due to shortages of lorry drivers, or the drop in sterling, or the steeply rising cost of shipping containers, or just Brexit-related form-filling at Dover or Tilbury. Take your pick. :|
I am also looking for plant pots fairly urgently. I need several deep planters and one that is wide and quite deep. My allotment lease was unfairly terminated with no notice for untrue reasons so now I'm trying to source pots to retrieve all my plants, vines and trees from the site.

Not an entirely frivolous suggestion, but B&Q's big buckets at £1 apiece are still great value for temporary storage. In black or orange. Drill some drainage holes and they'll last as long as you need them.

BJ

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » July 7th, 2022, 7:11 am

apologes for saying this...BUT>>>>

try one or some of the Facebook 'groups' in your area
there are usually people selling plants or pots of all sizes etc

as with anything, its likely to be more expensive when you want to buy....but will be cheaper once you already have what you need

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » July 7th, 2022, 7:38 am

I've also noticed the price increase, so I've taken to growing from seeds. Dark corner of my office already had a good selection of house plants, but I've filled it out with ivy and spider plants. £15 for a small house plant is too much. Packet of seeds, limited choice, still only £3'sh.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 8th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Any gardening clubs local to you? I rarely buy houseplants, go to community cafe every Friday morning and we swap cuttings both indoor and out. The same goes for the pub if you've got a good local. If you don't go to pub etc. join your local facebook community, each day on our local facebook someone is always offering plants and cuttings. I've never posted on facebook but it's certainly worth joining just to keep an eye out for local bargains.

R6

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2022, 7:27 am

I was going to suggest the B&Q buckets and if you really want to do it on the cheap and you are more concerned with utility than looks then a roll of rubble sacks would work too.

John

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 10th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Any gardening clubs local to you? I rarely buy houseplants, go to community cafe every Friday morning and we swap cuttings both indoor and out. The same goes for the pub if you've got a good local. If you don't go to pub etc. join your local facebook community, each day on our local facebook someone is always offering plants and cuttings. I've never posted on facebook but it's certainly worth joining just to keep an eye out for local bargains.

R6

Hi Rhyd6… I have just noticed that I pm’d you back in March ‘21, and it’s still in my outbox…. Probably irrelevant now.

Return to “The Natural World”