Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Butterfly season

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Butterfly season

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 19th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I have a small tortoiseshell on the inside of my bedroom window. Looks as it it's just out of hibernation, neither asleep nor lively, but seems in good health.

Just wondering if it's better off being let out now or allowed to stay inside a little longer? In the latter case I might see about preparing a drop of nectar for indoors.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Butterfly season

Postby bungeejumper » March 20th, 2020, 10:42 am

No expert here, but AIUI butterflies have a longer mating season than some other insects, so giving it a bit longer to revive will probably be a risk-free undertaking.

Sugar water works well. My wife once nursed a hungry butterfly successfully right up until the day when its wings fell off. Whoops. :|

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 20th, 2020, 10:49 pm

OK, decision reached.

The season is about right, nature has supplies of nectar, and the nettles are growing vigorously to feed the next generation of small tortoiseshells. The forecast says we're due some good sunshine Sunday/Monday. If it hasn't left of its own accord when the weather next looks bright and calm, I'll offer my assistance and wish it all the best in the great outdoors.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 21st, 2020, 8:50 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:The forecast says we're due some good sunshine Sunday/Monday. If it hasn't left of its own accord when the weather next looks bright and calm, I'll offer my assistance and wish it all the best in the great outdoors.

Should be okay now. If you're putting it outside, try and give it a bit of quiet space to adjust and get its little brain up to speed. There are hungry birds about!

BJ

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » March 24th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I saw my first in the garden today, a Brimstone. Later, a mile or so away, another Brimstone and then a Peacock (butterfly that is).

Other things heard though not seen: Chiffchaff; Chaffinch; Green Woodpecker; Pheasant.

Also 2 what I think might have been House Martins although I didn’t get a good view and it seems a bit early.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 24th, 2020, 11:16 pm

madhatter wrote:I saw my first in the garden today, a Brimstone. Later, a mile or so away, another Brimstone and then a Peacock (butterfly that is).

That's two more species that hibernate as adults. So the spring will've woken them up just like my erstwhile companion.

I took my small tortoiseshell up to an area of meadow on Sunday, and bade farewell (in my bedroom it was still sufficiently sleepy not to try to escape when I put it in a small cardboard box for transport). There were indeed other butterflies around, and it looked gorgeous among the daisies and buttercups as I left.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 10th, 2023, 6:06 pm

A couple of times recently (in the hot snap), small tortoiseshells have come in through my window, before leaving again the same way. I wonder if they're already scouting out places to hibernate as the equinox draws nigh?

Return to “The Natural World”