Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

corvids attacking mistle thrush

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
wydffa

corvids attacking mistle thrush

Postby wydffa » April 18th, 2020, 11:08 pm

In my local park I watched a pair of mistle thrush feeding on a lawn. They were dive-bombed by a jackdaw which made contact on at least one swoop. After the jackdaw left, a pair of magpies took over, I watched this while I ate my pie (post-covid treat!) so the harassment went on for at least 15 minutes.
I googled this but could only see reports of thrushes attacking corvids in the vicinity of a nest, nothing on corvids attacking thrushes.
I did wonder if the corvids thought that the thrushes were birds of prey. on account of the striation pattern on the breast There were no signs of magpie or jackdaw nests nearby. Has anyone else seen this or have an explanation?

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Re: corvids attacking mistle thrush

Postby oldapple » April 19th, 2020, 12:39 am

I've not heard of this before either but I wonder might your corvids and magpies have been chasing off the thrushes to get at a patch of leatherjacket grubs in the lawn?

wydffa

Re: corvids attacking mistle thrush

Postby wydffa » April 19th, 2020, 7:56 am

Yes possibly competition for food. The jackdaw flew off after a while but the magpies looked for food on the lawn when the thrushes were away.
I returned the following day and saw just a single thrush.

Return to “The Natural World”