Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Protecting trees from livestock

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
88V8
Lemon Half

Protecting trees from livestock

Postby 88V8 » July 1st, 2020, 11:23 pm

Our local farmer would like to plant some trees in his livestock fields, and as a tree lover I am willing to pay for protection.
But cattle and sheep and horses in various ways are very destructive of trees.
Anyone had success fending them off?

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Protecting trees from livestock

Postby bungeejumper » July 2nd, 2020, 8:46 am

The plastic coil thingies are okay for five years or so, for anything from rabbits up to sheep and deer. But the problem with bigger beasties is that they push the damn trees over. Our local farmer has had to put up full timber cages for all of his trees, and even then he lost one when his prize bull sat on the cage. A tonne of prime beef can do a lot of damage. :lol:

It's not quite clear why you'd be the person to pay for this tree protection. Unless you're the landlord?

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:37 am

I used the plastic covers. It depends on how much room the saplings have from livestock. is it a few animals in a large space or lots in a small field?

I also think it depends on other food sources and how Hungary they get. Generally I was told to expect up to 30% loss on my trees although I didnt have big animals to contend with.

Losses were much less than expected and thinning might be next.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:10 am

In this area the problem generally is deer. Most farmers use 3 posts in a triangle with stock wire between. They need to be spread sufficiently that the deer can't eat the vegetation.

Personally I would have thought a square formation of posts could be closer together and provide better protection. It could be that the triangular shape makes it more difficult for the deer to jump over the wire because the landing area is more awkward. I must admit it's not something I've given a lot of thought.

I have had to exclude deer from my veg and fruit garden, I used 6' high post and wire. So far so good.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 2nd, 2020, 10:39 am

One thing I didn't mention last time around is that larger animals often cause damage simply because they need a good scratch! Food doesn't always come into it.

Our neighbouring farmer has a large-ish welsh cob which slowly wrecked a 50 metre stretch of iron railings, it was so keen to get at the carrots that the village kids were feeding it. ;) But cows and horses are quite capable of side-swiping a gatepost with their rumps whenever the flies are giving them trouble. A bit of barbed wire just adds to the frisson. :D

Pigs and goats will do anything to eat anything, of course. You haven't lived until you've seen a goat climbing up into a tree......

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 2nd, 2020, 10:46 am

Deer like scratching their antlers on young trees
Lots around these parts, and saplings are usually protected with a simple plastic tube. I've seen the post triangle method discussed also

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » July 12th, 2020, 11:33 am

88V8 wrote:Our local farmer would like to plant some trees in his livestock fields, and as a tree lover I am willing to pay for protection.
But cattle and sheep and horses in various ways are very destructive of trees.
Anyone had success fending them off?

I was recently given "Wilding" by Isabella Tree, which I recommend reading.

While the modern trend in agriculture and conservation is to clear scrub, the Knepp Estate found that scrub was very good at protecting saplings and allowing trees to establish.

It quotes 17th century agricultural writer Arthur Standish "Thorny bushes are the mother and nurse of trees. Without them there would be no timber in the common land". 17th century foresters were apparently instructed to cast acorns and ash leyes into straggling and dispersed bushes in order to ensure a good future supply of timber.

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » July 12th, 2020, 4:50 pm

tsr wrote
"I was recently given "Wilding" by Isabella Tree, which I recommend reading.

While the modern trend in agriculture and conservation is to clear scrub, the Knepp Estate found that scrub was very good at protecting saplings and allowing trees to establish.

It quotes 17th century agricultural writer Arthur Standish "Thorny bushes are the mother and nurse of trees. Without them there would be no timber in the common land". 17th century foresters were apparently instructed to cast acorns and ash leyes into straggling and dispersed bushes in order to ensure a good future supply of timber."

I'd like to second your book recommendation tsr, I gave my copy away so can't quote any further from it, but it really gives hope for restoration of animal and plant life. The owners were very brave in facing scorn from sceptical neighbours whilst trying to establish their end goal. I remember especially the ridicule encountered when they let swarths of thistles grow, but the payback in wildlife subsequently attracted was enormous.

Sorry not to add usefully to the original post.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 12th, 2020, 6:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote:One thing I didn't mention last time around is that larger animals often cause damage simply because they need a good scratch! Food doesn't always come into it.

Our neighbouring farmer has a large-ish welsh cob which slowly wrecked a 50 metre stretch of iron railings, it was so keen to get at the carrots that the village kids were feeding it. ;) But cows and horses are quite capable of side-swiping a gatepost with their rumps whenever the flies are giving them trouble. A bit of barbed wire just adds to the frisson. :D

Pigs and goats will do anything to eat anything, of course. You haven't lived until you've seen a goat climbing up into a tree......

BJ

=======================

been there, seen that .

goats love tree bark ..

it has to be a suitably structured tree though.

:)

Return to “The Natural World”