Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Puppy training

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Puppy training

Postby brightncheerful » August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am

My question concerns the best or recommended way to deal with or overcome a dog's preference for having only one human 'master'.

Mrs Bnc and I have reserved a miniature F1 labradoodle female puppy for release to us mid-September. (Renowned/respectable KC registered breeder, etc)

Mrs Bnc's experience of pets is having had a cat. My experience is having had two dogs (border terriers) and two cats. Neither Mrs Bnc nor myself have had any experience in our relationship of bringing up a puppy on our own. For my border terrier experience, my ex did the puppy training, all commands, etc

I am thinking we should take it in turns to teach the dog the same command etc so that dog learns to respond to either one of us, rather than regarding only one us as 'boss'. Would that work or would the inevitable difference in voice sound and tone be the deciding factor so far as the dog is concerned?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Puppy training

Postby scotia » August 17th, 2020, 11:43 am

brightncheerful wrote:My question concerns the best or recommended way to deal with or overcome a dog's preference for having only one human 'master'.

Mrs Bnc and I have reserved a miniature F1 labradoodle female puppy for release to us mid-September. (Renowned/respectable KC registered breeder, etc)

Mrs Bnc's experience of pets is having had a cat. My experience is having had two dogs (border terriers) and two cats. Neither Mrs Bnc nor myself have had any experience in our relationship of bringing up a puppy on our own. For my border terrier experience, my ex did the puppy training, all commands, etc

I am thinking we should take it in turns to teach the dog the same command etc so that dog learns to respond to either one of us, rather than regarding only one us as 'boss'. Would that work or would the inevitable difference in voice sound and tone be the deciding factor so far as the dog is concerned?

Labs and poodles are two of the most intelligent breeds of dog - so I don't think your new arrival will have much trouble understanding the same command from two sources. And if there is a significant amount of lab characteristics, then the command biscuit will be understood no matter who utters the magic word. :)

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Puppy training

Postby brightncheerful » August 17th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Thank you. After posting, I happened to be speaking with the breeder about something else so asked the same question. Their answer is that the person in charge would normally be regarded by the dog as the person that does the feeding. So Mrs Bnc and I should take it in turns to do the feeding.

Return to “The Natural World”