Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Pigeon scarer

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
swill453
Lemon Half

Pigeon scarer

Postby swill453 » August 17th, 2020, 2:39 pm

My dad likes to feed birds in his garden. However he only wants to feed the cute ones and pathologically doesn't want pigeons coming anywhere near it.

Every time he sees pigeons land in the garden he jumps to his feet and waves frantically to chase them away.

One of these days he'll give himself a heart attack or a stroke, is there any way of scaring (only) pigeons away by some other means?

The pigeons already can't get to the feeders, but he goes apoplectic if they even graze the lawn for anything falling to the ground.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Pigeon scarer

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm

I'm the same with magpies.
Oddly, as I like crows and rooks

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 17th, 2020, 4:01 pm

swill453 wrote:My dad likes to feed birds in his garden. However he only wants to feed the cute ones and pathologically doesn't want pigeons coming anywhere near it.

Every time he sees pigeons land in the garden he jumps to his feet and waves frantically to chase them away.

One of these days he'll give himself a heart attack or a stroke, is there any way of scaring (only) pigeons away by some other means?

The pigeons already can't get to the feeders, but he goes apoplectic if they even graze the lawn for anything falling to the ground.

Scott.

I must be your dad!! I hate pigeons.

We've got nut and seed feeders hanging from a squirrel-proofed pole, but the pigeons still try to have a go at them. When they tire of that, they stroll around underneath to catch the bits that fall off as other birds feed up above.
We've got a cage on the ground which only allows sparrows and robins to feed, but sadly that also keeps out blackbirds, thrushes and starlings.

I have dreamed of putting together a radio-controlled water jet, but never got around to it. A shotgun might be a more permanent solution, and would provide a meal for our foxes

--kiloran

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm

As somebody mentioned recently, a string of old CDs dangling in the wind will unsettle the pestiferous brood for at least a few weeks. Come on, we've all got a few toe-curling discs in our cabinets, haven't we? I have a few of John Lennon's solo efforts, for a start. ;)

Sadly, however, pigeons are quick learners, and they don't stay fooled for long. They also don't have a distress call, so sonic repellents don't work either. Although I've heard good things of that sounding tape that whistles in the wind. I believe they worry about getting their feet tangled up in it?

BJ

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 18th, 2020, 1:33 am

Pigeons of any stripe (mostly wood pigeons round here) are not overly fond of being squirted.

I don’t usually do mine as I would sooner have fallen seed taken away rather than germinating or attracting rats, and wood pigeons generally take wing as soon as I step outside the house.

Unfortunately the smaller ground feeding birds seem to have disappeared in the last few days.

Perhaps someone could recommend a powerful water gun?

Hours of innocent fun to be had.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 18th, 2020, 5:20 pm

madhatter wrote:Pigeons of any stripe (mostly wood pigeons round here) are not overly fond of being squirted.

I don’t usually do mine as I would sooner have fallen seed taken away rather than germinating or attracting rats, and wood pigeons generally take wing as soon as I step outside the house.

Unfortunately the smaller ground feeding birds seem to have disappeared in the last few days.

Perhaps someone could recommend a powerful water gun?

Hours of innocent fun to be had.

Blackbirds have been absent in our garden for the last 3 weeks. I saw 3 in the garden this morning.

Welcome back.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 18th, 2020, 10:56 pm

My adult robins both have tail feathers missing at the moment, after raising at least one brood and looking increasingly scruffy.

In most previous years they would also have disappeared at the end of July for the late summer moult, but the last two years have seen them regularly visiting the window feeder (well screened by a cotoneaster) but otherwise keeping a fairly low profile.

They get pastry crumbs and dried mealworms, but I only put out a few of those at a time since they insist on bashing them about before swallowing them, which usually knocks several more scattered to the ground. I assume the idea is to stun an insect making it less uncooperative about being swallowed, but the dried mealworms get the same treatment. They appear to have no idea of the price of these things.

Interestingly the pastry crumbs don’t seem to trigger the same response, and are often taken in preference to the mealworms. Got to be the right size though. Too big and they won’t tackle it and they can’t be [expletive deleted] to pick up food crumbled too small.

Fussy little bleeders.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm

I dunno what natural enemies pigeons have but around here, there are flippin' gazillions of 'em this year.

Whatever eats pigeons is is very short supply at the moment.

Not seen many buzzards this year.

What IS the 'natural enemy' of pigeons, DAK?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2020, 5:38 am

Mike4 wrote:

If some of the pigeons around my way are any sort of indicator, then I think it's Morbid Obesity...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 19th, 2020, 8:41 am

Mike4 wrote:

Me!
And my living room window. They keep bashing into it. They normally bounce off, but one died in the process a few years ago

--kiloran

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 19th, 2020, 10:53 am

Mike4 wrote:I dunno what natural enemies pigeons have but around here, there are flippin' gazillions of 'em this year.

I live in a rural area, shooting pigeons was a common practice for farmers and to a lesser extent shooting enthusiasts. There was a general licence in force until last year which permitted the shooting of certain species including wood pigeons.

DEFRA (I think that is the correct body) were obliged to withdraw the licence by some animal rights organisation whech was spearheaded by Chris Packham. I don't want to go into the rights and wrongs of that but effectively it stopped all shooting of woodies. After a few months new guidelines were issued which again allowed shooting but the terms were much more restrictive than before. The effect has been that wood pigeon shooting is much reduced.

That is probably one of the factors in the increasing population of what is a serious pest in farming areas.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2020, 10:55 am

sg31 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
I dunno what natural enemies pigeons have but around here, there are flippin' gazillions of 'em this year.

I live in a rural area, shooting pigeons was a common practice for farmers and to a lesser extent shooting enthusiasts.

Shot for being a pigeon enthusiast?

Harsh but fair, I suppose...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » August 19th, 2020, 10:58 am

Sparrow Hawks. I've seen two young pigeons taken this month, and the distinctive pile of feathers from another two victims. Have also seen Robins and fledgling blackbirds taken. We also have a large number of pigeons, some ridiculously tame. I don't mind the pigeons, it's the grey Squirrels scoffing my peanuts I have a problem with.

I

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 19th, 2020, 11:28 am

Imbiber wrote:Sparrow Hawks. I've seen two young pigeons taken this month, and the distinctive pile of feathers from another two victims. Have also seen Robins and fledgling blackbirds taken. We also have a large number of pigeons, some ridiculously tame. I don't mind the pigeons, it's the grey Squirrels scoffing my peanuts I have a problem with.

I

Well put the lid back on the box....

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » August 19th, 2020, 11:39 am

Ooops

Hazelnuts :roll:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Imbiber wrote:I don't mind the pigeons, it's the grey Squirrels scoffing my peanuts I have a problem with.

Well put the lid back on the box....

One word. Chilli. :D Birds can't taste it, mammals think it's disgusting. You can buy chilli'd nuts ready made, or you can mix your own. I've posted elsewhere about how I'm using peppermint oil to protect our pears from the tree rats. It's working fine.

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2020, 6:01 pm

If you don't want the fun of a decent air gun/pistol then I can recommend a really good and powerful super soaker water pistol. I'm getting quite a good shot with mine and as the bird feeder the pigeons seem to favour is near a rather nice planter I water the flowers at the same time. Hours of fun to be had.

R6

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 19th, 2020, 6:19 pm

kiloran wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Me!
And my living room window. They keep bashing into it. They normally bounce off, but one died in the process a few years ago

--kiloran

Something had one on my lawn while I was on holiday, just a pile of feathers left....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2020, 6:42 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Something had one on my lawn while I was on holiday, just a pile of feathers left....

Sorry to disappoint, but most likely a cat. Both of our moggies would grab them and eat them, given the opportunity. The pigeons would be hauled off to some quiet dining spot, leaving just the tell-tale breast feathers where they'd been grabbed. Still, it saved on cat food.

We do sometimes see little owls grabbing pigeons in mid-air, which is quite impressive since the pigeons are bigger than they are. The fact that this happens in broad daylight only adds to the drama. Little owls are the only ones that routinely hunt during the day.

As far as I'm concerned they can have all the pigeons they want. The damn things have been using our birdbath as a bidet/toilet, and it gets a bit tedious flushing out the muck every week. :|

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 19th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Perhaps , but the local ginger cat is too bloody lazy. It's all he can do to shift his fat ar$e from one garden to another, slowly.
Hoping it was one of our many red kites, but they're pretty timid - I've seen one 'mobbed' and chased off by a solitary seagull

Return to “The Natural World”