Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fireworks

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Fireworks

Postby kiloran » November 5th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Why are dogs so upset by fireworks (or at least that is what I hear)

We've got four of this year's fox cubs lying on the lawn waiting for their supper and they are utterly unfazed by all the flashes and bangs around them. They just don't flinch, indeed they even seem to take an interest in the spectacle

--kiloran

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: Fireworks

Postby Nimrod103 » November 5th, 2020, 10:32 pm

kiloran wrote:Why are dogs so upset by fireworks (or at least that is what I hear)

We've got four of this year's fox cubs lying on the lawn waiting for their supper and they are utterly unfazed by all the flashes and bangs around them. They just don't flinch, indeed they even seem to take an interest in the spectacle

--kiloran

I assume they respond to low frequency vibration, and think it might be thunder. Certainly my dog can detect thunderstorms too far away for me hear.

Regarding fireworks, my dog did not react to them when a puppy, but has got progressively worse every year. I have no idea why.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 5th, 2020, 11:31 pm

We've two pups. Not phased at all by fireworks. However, the last three dogs we had did get worse with age.

No idea why though

AiY

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 6th, 2020, 1:10 am

Well, I 'jump' in response to sudden loud noises, and even sudden not-so-loud noises like my mobile beeping on the arrival of a text, much more than I did when I was younger, and I can put it down to a particular experience: the action became much more reflexive and uncontrollable after a would-be burglar smashed a window trying to get into my house while I was at home several years ago. So I wonder whether it's due to the dogs having experienced something frightening associated with a sudden loud noise - something they become more likely to have experienced as they get older...

Gengulphus

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 7th, 2020, 12:25 am

kiloran wrote:Why are dogs so upset by fireworks (or at least that is what I hear)

--kiloran

I was chatting to an owner of a pair of border collies - and he was not looking forward to the fireworks at November 5th. The dogs apparently feared and hated fireworks. I mentioned that my son's dog - a labrador - wasn't bothered by fireworks - indeed he seemed to having enjoyed going out with us to a firework display. Yes, my friend said, he's a gun dog, bred to be accustomed to large bangs. And maybe he is correct - possibly dog breeding has influenced breed-specific behaviour. But I can't work out who bred the fireworks tolerance into your foxes. I also can't work out why gun dog breeding has led to labradors being permanently hungry. :)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 7th, 2020, 5:13 am

Ah ha :geek:

Found this

Noise aversion can also be influenced by breed, age and sex. Even the way your dog reacts to loud sounds could be partly controlled by their genetics, with research showing that German Shepherd Dogs are more likely to pace when stressed, while Border Collies and Australian Cattle Dogs are more likely to hide.

AiY

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 7th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Our parson russell isn't the least bothered by fireworks but is annoyed that we aren't out joining in as she associates fireworks with gunfire and the shooting of rats and foxes.

R6

Return to “The Natural World”