Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Awful compost

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Awful compost

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 6:11 pm

I try to build the compost in layers in the traditional way, then stirred up or turned periodically. I also use Garrotta as an accelerator. Grass cuttings by themselves can still remain a soggy mass for a long time, so they are best separated with layers of kitchen waste or "brown" matter - i.e shredded paper, thin cardboard torn up or shredded. I also bung in some horse manure if the local ponies oblige when they walk past on the road, or even the occasional layer of soil. Anything to make a varied compost full of different nutrients. People speak of the process taking a matter of weeks, but I've never found that. For me, it's a two year process as with TJH.

Kitchen waste does NOT include egg shells, or cooked food, meat - in fact only vegetable matter.

This does not necessarily prevent rats, however. I've not had any myself, but a near neighbour found rats had made a lovely home in the compost bin to raise a family because it was a warm and snug place, not because they fed of any of the contents.

Compost is one of the wonders of the world, like our other hobby: compound interest!

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 27th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Arborbridge wrote: Grass cuttings by themselves can still remain a soggy mass for a long time, so they are best separated with layers of kitchen waste or "brown" matter - i.e shredded paper, thin cardboard torn up or shredded.

Arb, Some years ago came across the idea of leaving the clippings on the lawn otherwise I'm taking valuable nutrients away from the lawn. I still prefer this system but if one does want to compost grass cuttings leaving them on the lawn for a few days does let them dry out a bit. When I scarify/aerate the lawn the thatch and any recent mowings will be gathered and I stick them in the Dalek.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 6:22 pm

BTW, the top tip for avoiding plastic tea bags in compost is, not to use them.
I almost always make tea with loose leaves and there is no comparison. Tea bags are an unecessary invention and I can't see why anyone would use them except in rather rare circumstances. i.e. on my boat. In fact, come to think of it, I'm not clear why we use them even there! Maybe the fear of and accident scattering tea leaves in the bilges. (I'm ham-fisted in the mornings!)

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 6:28 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: Grass cuttings by themselves can still remain a soggy mass for a long time, so they are best separated with layers of kitchen waste or "brown" matter - i.e shredded paper, thin cardboard torn up or shredded.

Arb, Some years ago came across the idea of leaving the clippings on the lawn otherwise I'm taking valuable nutrients away from the lawn. I still prefer this system but if one does want to compost grass cuttings leaving them on the lawn for a few days does let them dry out a bit. When I scarify/aerate the lawn the thatch and any recent mowings will be gathered and I stick them in the Dalek.

Yes, I remember a thread on here (?) about whether to leave them or not to leave them on the lawn.

I've always thought it made the grass more congested thus needing more raking (which I hate doing) but perhaps I am wrong. But...old habits learned from childhood are hard to give up.
It does seem counterproductive to take away nutrients only to have to put some back in - usually of the chemical variety. Though at least my composting them, the circle is closed.

Just in passing, I heard Monty say about a year ago that it is tefchnically impossible to produce enough compost in a garden from garden waste - so buying in compost will be necessary for most of us. That may be true for those growing veg, but wonder, perhaps not for those of us with a few flower borders?

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 27th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Kitchen waste does NOT include egg shells, or cooked food, meat - in fact only vegetable matter.

It CAN include eggshells - but not the rest. It's just calcium carbonate - same as you get in garden lime. Best to crush egshells as much as possible to speed their breakdown.

Eden Project wrote: Crushed eggshells can be included to add useful minerals....
https://www.edenproject.com/learn/eden- ... 0-top-tips

Gardeners' World Magazine wrote:Also add:

Eggshells, natural fibres (wool or cotton), wood ash (not too much)
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/m ... e-compost/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 27th, 2021, 8:09 pm

And crushed eggshells are useful for keeping slugs at bay.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 27th, 2021, 8:13 pm

I save my egg shells in a foil container at the bottom of the oven so they get dried and roasted as I cook. I blend them to powder to add to the compost as those little crushed bits still make it through the composting process in my garden.
Avocado skins were my problem last year so I now try to remember to cut them into strips before adding.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 8:21 pm

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Kitchen waste does NOT include egg shells, or cooked food, meat - in fact only vegetable matter.

It CAN include eggshells - but not the rest. It's just calcium carbonate - same as you get in garden lime. Best to crush egshells as much as possible to speed their breakdown.

Eden Project wrote: Crushed eggshells can be included to add useful minerals....
https://www.edenproject.com/learn/eden- ... 0-top-tips

Gardeners' World Magazine wrote:Also add:

Eggshells, natural fibres (wool or cotton), wood ash (not too much)
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/m ... e-compost/

Nothing wrong with eggshells - I should have explained that's just a personal prejudice. I find they don't breakdown very well, so I just prefer not to put them in. Not only that, but since until recently I have always lived on chalk, they were hardly necessary!

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 8:23 pm

kempiejon wrote:I save my egg shells in a foil container at the bottom of the oven so they get dried and roasted as I cook. I blend them to powder to add to the compost as those little crushed bits still make it through the composting process in my garden.
Avocado skins were my problem last year so I now try to remember to cut them into strips before adding.

I've never tried Avocado skins as they look quite daunting. As regards cutting things up, I regularly slice cabbage stalks or anything of similar density on the grounds that the greater surface area will speed the process.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 27th, 2021, 8:42 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've never tried Avocado skins...

I have, and unless you shred them they are too slow to break down. I find it best to tear them up rather than cut with a knife. The rough edges seem to give the bacteria an easier entry point ;)

The avocado stones are good too - after passing though a cheese grater. :D

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 27th, 2021, 9:09 pm

I like your sense of humour, Bree , but I'll continue to leave it to the Council to grate up the avocado stones after they collect my bins. I will, however, try tearing up rather than cutting up the skins to see if it makes any difference.

nicodemusboffin

Postby nicodemusboffin » August 27th, 2021, 9:34 pm

I would strongly recommend a hot composter
https://www.hotbincomposting.com/

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 27th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I like your sense of humour, Bree , but I'll continue to leave it to the Council to grate up the avocado stones after they collect my bins.

Pity, there's a lot of good nutrients locked up in a seed that big - enough to build a tree ;)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 27th, 2021, 11:18 pm

As I said up thread I noticed avo skins making it through composting intact - no sign of any seeds and they do not get grated.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 27th, 2021, 11:23 pm

kempiejon wrote:As I said up thread I noticed avo skins making it through composting intact - no sign of any seeds and they do not get grated.

An avocado pip/seed/whatever you want to call it will survive for years in a compost heap if left intact (in my experience). Grated (or even just shattered with a hammer) will rot away in a year....

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 28th, 2021, 10:39 am

nicodemusboffin wrote:I would strongly recommend a hot composter

I've got 2 Hotbins. They work very well in some respects but take at least 3 months to produce decent compost. It can also be quite difficult to get them up to the required temperature, adding grass cuttings into the mix does it for me but it must be the required amount.

It takes a while to get the balance of waste, shredded paper and wood quite right. The compost is very wet but will dry out if it is spread on a tarp for a while. Mine are currently keeping in the required temperature range very nicely, If I open them the heat hits me in the face like it does when I open an oven door.

I would recommend them, they aren't the perfect answer but I'm not sure anything is.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 28th, 2021, 11:03 am

A ton for a compost heap - strewth.
My mate has one and it seems to generate quite a lot more work than just piling prunings and peelings. Getting the mix just right seems to be his issue and keeping it fed over winter.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 28th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Can one put kitchen paper with which one has mopped up the oil in sardine tins in an ordinary compost bin? I wouldn't dream of pouring it down the drain so just put the oily paper in the household waste bin but would prefer to compost it unless it attracted vermin.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 29th, 2021, 10:28 am

Bouleversee wrote:Can one put kitchen paper with which one has mopped up the oil in sardine tins in an ordinary compost bin? I wouldn't dream of pouring it down the drain so just put the oily paper in the household waste bin but would prefer to compost it unless it attracted vermin.

Yum, essence of sardine. My favourite. :D Or shall I just line my nest with it? Squeak!

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 30th, 2021, 11:39 am

kempiejon wrote:

A ton for a compost heap - strewth.
My mate has one and it seems to generate quite a lot more work than just piling prunings and peelings. Getting the mix just right seems to be his issue and keeping it fed over winter.

The large one is £220 at present, they come down to £150 ish on special offer most winters. I've got 2.

You need a supply of wood chips and shredded paper to make them work properly and some grass cuttings.

I've got about an acre of garden and grow fruit and veg, I would have compost heaps all over the garden if I had to wait 2 years for it to compost. I've tried the dalek types with no success. The only thing that has worked for me is making a bin with pallets for the sides but the time to produce is too much. A quick supply of compost is of great benefit as my veg are in a number of no dig beds.

Return to “The Natural World”