Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Replacing Leylandii

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
marronier
Lemon Slice

Re: Replacing Leylandii

Postby marronier » May 31st, 2021, 12:04 pm

One downside of Leylandii trees is the root spread. A previous neighbour planted a row of three close to the boundary and besides deep shadows ,there is the problem of the roots which spread over three metres into my garden meaning that any digging of the bed that side is like tangling with netting in the soil ,virtually impossible.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 31st, 2021, 8:01 pm

marronier wrote:One downside of Leylandii trees is the root spread. A previous neighbour planted a row of three close to the boundary and besides deep shadows ,there is the problem of the roots which spread over three metres into my garden meaning that any digging of the bed that side is like tangling with netting in the soil ,virtually impossible.

I guess you could cut a trench at your boundary, a couple of feet deep a spit wide and line it. The other problems with those roots is they dry out your beds too, those trees hoover up a lot of moisture so they shade out and dry out in the area. We have that at the bottom of our garden, so I keep the compost heap and shed there and I'm resigned to not much much growing.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 24th, 2021, 3:20 pm

I thought of this thread, and the other, often quite regular 'what can I do about this hedge/tree' threads that have sprung up over the years, as I read the following really quite sad story in the Guardian today -

A tree cleaved in half has become an attraction in a residential part of South Yorkshire after a dispute between neighbours.

Bharat Mistry said he and his family were “gutted” when their nextdoor neighbours asked tree surgeons to cut down half the branches of a 5 metre fir tree that had stood in his garden in the Sheffield suburb of Waterthorpe for 25 years.

He said: “We were absolutely distraught. We pleaded and pleaded with them not to do it, but their mind was made up. That tree was coming down.”

Mistry, 56, said he had been embroiled in a year-long dispute with his neighbours over birds roosting in the tree, which they said generated too much noise and mess in the drive of their bungalow.

Without Mistry’s knowledge, an image of the tree was posted on Reddit with the title: “Some traditional British pettiness on display.”

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/24/cut-down-fir-tree-becomes-sheffield-attraction-after-neighbour-dispute

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “The Natural World”