Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Replacing Leylandii

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Replacing Leylandii

Postby Clariman » May 27th, 2021, 10:37 pm

Our neighbours have leylndii on their side of a shared fence. They now cast a huge shadow over our patio for most of the day and the branches extend over the fence.

We asked them what their plans are for them and explained the issues (the previous owners had planted them to form a hedge). They like the privacy that the leylandii give them from another property.

They had someone round to look at them from our side with a view to reducing their height, but to he honest they'd have to come down a long way and we'd rather see them gone. We have also heard that they can cause damage to property. We would happily pay half the costs for getting them dealt with properly.

Am I right in thinking that leylandii aren't the right plant for a hedge? Also if they were taken down, is it possible to buy hedging that would have a decent height so that they could get privacy and we can get some light? What type of hedging might do the job?

Thanks
Clariman

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Replacing Leylandii

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 27th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Clariman wrote:Our neighbours have leylndii on their side of a shared fence. They now cast a huge shadow over our patio for most of the day and the branches extend over the fence.

We asked them what their plans are for them and explained the issues (the previous owners had planted them to form a hedge). They like the privacy that the leylandii give them from another property.

They had someone round to look at them from our side with a view to reducing their height, but to he honest they'd have to come down a long way and we'd rather see them gone. We have also heard that they can cause damage to property. We would happily pay half the costs for getting them dealt with properly.

Am I right in thinking that leylandii aren't the right plant for a hedge? Also if they were taken down, is it possible to buy hedging that would have a decent height so that they could get privacy and we can get some light? What type of hedging might do the job?

Thanks
Clariman

I bear news that may be difficult to digest.

Leylandii are amongst the worst "trees" to have near a foundation.

However, that only applies in areas where the ground is susceptible to heave, which generally means clay subsoils.

They are also a freaking nuisance above ground as they grow to unbelievable heights and tend to block light at certain parts of the year when the sun is low in the horizon.

Legally you can remove any branches that overhang your land. You must offer to give the cut branches to your neighbour.

If you have soils that are susceptible to heave then (and I'd have to look it up) you have rights to protect your foundations from the damage they have or could cause at the expense of your neighbours.

I was only reading about this a day or two ago.

You have options, the first is to explain to your neighbour and see what response you get. After which it's either a new laurel hedge (not sure how they cope with Scottish winters) or escalation. If you cut leylandii down you do not need to remove the roots, they will not regrow. Don't even consider trying to remove the root system - hard work.

Please let me know if you need to know more of the technical stuff

AiY

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 27th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Clariman wrote:Our neighbours have leylndii on their side of a shared fence. They now cast a huge shadow over our patio for most of the day and the branches extend over the fence.

Thanks
Clariman

Back in the day ISTR a near identical post on TMF along similar lines.

The poster later commented they dug a trench along the boundary which they kept topped up with battery acid for a while. Sadly the Leylandii all seemed to die and they often wondered if their trench had anything to do with it....

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 27th, 2021, 11:22 pm

Thanks
Clariman

I have both Cherry Laurel and Leylandii.

Leylandii are a huge pain in the proverbial if they outgrow their width.
Must be width-trimmed regularly because too much off and the sides will go brown.
Topping not so much of a problem, though for a wider hedge, too much off the top will result in a gappy centre.

Cherry Laurel, you can take as much off the height and width as you wish and it will regrow but one must cut less in very dry weather - if you can remember what that is. Plus plenty of seedlings to replace the Leylandii if I can bite that bullet.
Last edited by supremetwo on May 27th, 2021, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 27th, 2021, 11:24 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:After which it's either a new laurel hedge (not sure how they cope with Scottish winters)

Laurel in Scotland? - once the roots are established it's nigh impossible to kill

We started by cutting my dad's to the ground
- then next time down to the grown, drilling in to the stump and pouring in herbicide
- after a few years of that he gave up and now keeps them at about knee height and pretends he likes them

- sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 27th, 2021, 11:33 pm

servodude wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:After which it's either a new laurel hedge (not sure how they cope with Scottish winters)

Laurel in Scotland? - once the roots are established it's nigh impossible to kill

We started by cutting my dad's to the ground
- then next time down to the grown, drilling in to the stump and pouring in herbicide
- after a few years of that he gave up and now keeps them at about knee height and pretends he likes them

- sd

Heck I thought it was cold in Scotland :lol:

Laurels need severe cutting every now and again. I cut up to a third of the wood out of mine every other year - large secateurs will do.

What about Photinia Red Robin? I'm not sure it will provide privacy though?

If you want to remove the plant completely then I'd suggest a reciprocating saw, a spade and some elbow grease.

AiY

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » May 28th, 2021, 12:29 am

The best thing to provide instant privacy is a fence. No plant grows very quickly and densely to 6' and stops. Leylandii is the worst, but laurel needs a lot of pruning every year. Does your neighbours require higher than 6' privacy, do they keep their garden tidy?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » May 28th, 2021, 7:43 am

We had a Photonia hedge. Evergreen, colourful, and should be fine for privacy. It had got to about 7 feet tall as we didn't cut it often, but seemed quite amenable to being cut back. It started dying off at about 20 years old. I've just dug it up and replaced it with a new hornbeam hedge. Not evergreen, but holds it brown leaves through the winter, and importantly much better for wildlife, being native.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 28th, 2021, 10:13 am

I had a similar problem with the house behind me. After many fruitless discussions with the owner of the trees I bit the bullet and wrote informing him of my intention to take action under the High Hedge Law. After receiving my letter his attitude changed completely; nothing was too much trouble and the trees were cut to an agreed height.

Just google the high hedge law. There you will find the answer to your problem.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 28th, 2021, 10:54 am

(snip)

May I put the view from the other side of the fence (so to speak), as a leylandii owner, and by doing so, lay myself open to comment, and would welcome it as fools generally (IMHO) provide sound comment (which I may or may not like, but that's fair game!)

I inherited a leylandii (when I bought the house). I make sure it gets well cut every year, and especially height-wise. I try to listen constructively to any comments from neighbours.

However, one point always gets overlooked.

My leylandii is not actually on the boundary, it's about 8 feet inside the boundary.
In one case, there's a short cul-de-sac tarmac lane where with the leylandii is on my side of the lane, and the neighbours' houses are on the other side of the lane, and the boundary is in the middle of the lane (Yes, I know that's a tricky concept to grasp when there isn't a physical marking, and it's much easier to assume the boundary is a physical. visual fixture, but that's not the case here), but I've heard negative comments about how my hedge is over their side of the boundary, and it's not.
In the other case, there is a tarmac lane on the other side of the leylandii, then a wall which is the boundary. Various people have vehicle access along this lane, but since the bin lorry can get through, the leylandii doesn't seem to interfere with normal access.
I am not aware of issues with sunlight over neighbouring patios (and there aren't any there to speak of anyway, and said patios wouldn't get much sun if there wasn't the leylandii there due to the aspect of the sun and the land/buildings etc etc), One neighbour did point out many years ago that the top was rather high, and I rapidly had the height reduced about 4 feet at the next cutting.

This is an illustration of where I try and keep the leylandii in check and be considerate of others, but where perception of others means they think there's a problem with my leylandii because the boundary is perceived as being somewhere other than where it technically is ....

I like the hedge, it gives privacy, and protection from noise. I try to do my best. I know where my boundaries are, and my leylandii are at least 6 foot inside the boundaries.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 28th, 2021, 11:27 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
(snip)

May I put the view from the other side of the fence (so to speak), as a leylandii owner, and by doing so, lay myself open to comment, and would welcome it as fools generally (IMHO) provide sound comment (which I may or may not like, but that's fair game!)

I inherited a leylandii (when I bought the house). I make sure it gets well cut every year, and especially height-wise. I try to listen constructively to any comments from neighbours.

However, one point always gets overlooked.

My leylandii is not actually on the boundary, it's about 8 feet inside the boundary.

The fact your hedge is not on the boundary is not a legal consideration. Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 allows local councils to deal with complaints about high hedges whose area contains the land on which the hedge is situated. ..

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 28th, 2021, 11:33 am

Leylandii Law

May help?

AiY

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 28th, 2021, 11:39 am

Mike88 wrote:The fact your hedge is not on the boundary is not a legal consideration. Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 allows local councils to deal with complaints about high hedges whose area contains the land on which the hedge is situated. ..

Interesting development. Thank you. I'll bear that in mind.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 28th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Mike4 wrote:The poster later commented they dug a trench along the boundary which they kept topped up with battery acid for a while. Sadly the Leylandii all seemed to die and they often wondered if their trench had anything to do with it....

Before anyone tries that sort of tactic, I'd suggest asking on "Legal Issues (Practical)" about how legal their proposed course of action is. As AsleepInYorkshire indicates, deliberately damaging one's neighbour's plant by pruning branches that overhang one's land back to the boundary is legal as long as you offer the prunings to the neighbour, and I believe the same principle applies to root-pruning back to the boundary. But I believe deliberate damage beyond that counts as criminal damage. That puts the idea of a battery-acid-filled trench on your side of the boundary in a grey area as far as my knowledge of the law is concerned - but I suspect that if it's reasonably foreseeable that the battery acid will diffuse across the boundary, that might well be criminal damage.

There might well also be various environmental laws that it would violate even if the acid remains entirely on your side of the boundary.

Gengulphus

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 28th, 2021, 4:42 pm

It may be enough to pee on the tree frequently.

"Under its scaly armor, a tree has a layer of tissue called the cambium that makes it grow in diameter. The chemicals in urine can soak through exterior bark and damage this vital substance, explains Bassuk, either destroying the tree or impairing its growth. "It's like cutting off part of the circulatory system," she says. And a tree with a dysfunctional bark is easy prey to burrowing insects and oozing diseases like "bacterial wetwood.""

Though this also might be construed as criminal damage?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 28th, 2021, 4:44 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:It may be enough to pee on the tree frequently.

"Under its scaly armor, a tree has a layer of tissue called the cambium that makes it grow in diameter. The chemicals in urine can soak through exterior bark and damage this vital substance, explains Bassuk, either destroying the tree or impairing its growth. "It's like cutting off part of the circulatory system," she says. And a tree with a dysfunctional bark is easy prey to burrowing insects and oozing diseases like "bacterial wetwood.""

Though this also might be construed as criminal damage?

And you might need a ruddy good aim too, if it's a few feet over the boundary :D

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 28th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Leyland cypress is a beautiful tree.
That's tree.

As regards a better hedge, lonicera nitida grows well for us dahn sarf and is amenable to shaping.
Or of course yew - not the golden variety - although it's slow.
Or beech/hornbeam.
Or field maple.

Whichever they plant, your neighbours would lose their privacy for a few years. They might prefer just to reduce the height.

V8

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 29th, 2021, 8:17 am

Leylandii is too vigorous as a hedging plant.It is vigorous because it is an unnatural cross between too other species:

Leylandii is a hybrid cross between two conifers that originate from different parts of the United States of America. The two conifers are the Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) from which Leylandii gets its fast speed of growth – but this is not very hardy – and the Nootka Cypress (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, more recently named Xanthocyparis nootkatensis) which is slower growing but from which Leylandii gets its hardiness. They would not meet under normal circumstances as, although they are both native to the same country, they live a long way from each other in the USA.
https://www.leylandii.com/history/

For that reason alone I believe they should be banned. Only the ignorant or malicious plant leylandii hedges. Hedges are a real anti-social issue in the suburbia we are forced to live in, in the crowded UK.

They are also bad hedging plants because they do not regrow from old wood. Cut-back areas turn brown, and so there is a strong tendency to allow the plant grow a little bit each year, and thus it just gets bigger and bigger.

Western Red Cedar is an alternative which is not so vigorous, and will (to a certain extent) regrow after being cut back. Beech and Hornbeam are better alternatives IMV, but do need to be cut annually. I might be wrong, I didn't think leylandii roots were all that extensive, at least for the smaller hedge trees. They tend to make a large rather fibrous root ball. However, IME stumps of leylandii and cedar never rot down, so unless the whole thing is dug up, the stump will be around for a lifetime.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » May 29th, 2021, 11:43 am

When I bought this house about 6 years ago it had Leylandii on 2 boundaries . The previous owners were getting on and in poor health so they hadn't bothered with the garden. The Leylandii were very overgrown, about 15' tall and 12' wide. I trimmed them back and took 5' off the tops. It was difficult to do more. They then replaced the growth I'd removed very rapidly. There were other priorities so I just trimmed them as best I could.

When work on the house was finished I started on the garden, the Leylandii were a priority. Luckilly by that time I'd become good friends with a digger driver who offered to help. I was surprised how quickly we remover about 120' of Leylandii hedge. It took a morning to have them down. The digger bucket was used to rock each tree back and forth until the roots gave way and then the top growth was dragged to one side and we moved on to the next.

It took longer to clear the site of brash than to bring the trees down. A 7.5 ton digger makes short work of Leylandii. Well worth the expense of hiring the digger and the driver. (even better if you get mates rates)

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 29th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Photinia (Red Robin) is a good hedging plant. Mine are about 10ft tall but there are only 3 of them in my front garden and my neighbour has planted another 3 on his side of the boundary for privacy purposes. Photinia is very controllable unlike Leylandii.

Return to “The Natural World”