Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gifts from Fox

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Gifts from Fox

Postby Novoiceleft » December 16th, 2021, 11:12 pm

I live in a fairly rural setting and for the last 18 months I have left food out for a fox. Usually dog food - about 3 times a week.

She started coming when very small and now is fully grown and extremely healthy. A beautiful animal. By now she is quite tame, and she will approach within a couple of yards and sit down while I put the food out on a saucer. She will quite happily eat it whilst I am watching from close by.

On a few occasions, objects have mysteriously appeared near the feeding site. Tennis balls, old shoes etc. Last night I left the garage door open by mistake and a shoe from the garage appeared near the fox feeding place overnight.

So I really think that she is attempting to bring me "thank you" presents. Does anyone know if this is common fox behaviour?

TIA

NoVoice

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Gifts from Fox

Postby servodude » December 17th, 2021, 5:07 am

Novoiceleft wrote:I live in a fairly rural setting and for the last 18 months I have left food out for a fox. Usually dog food - about 3 times a week.

She started coming when very small and now is fully grown and extremely healthy. A beautiful animal. By now she is quite tame, and she will approach within a couple of yards and sit down while I put the food out on a saucer. She will quite happily eat it whilst I am watching from close by.

On a few occasions, objects have mysteriously appeared near the feeding site. Tennis balls, old shoes etc. Last night I left the garage door open by mistake and a shoe from the garage appeared near the fox feeding place overnight.

So I really think that she is attempting to bring me "thank you" presents. Does anyone know if this is common fox behaviour?

TIA

NoVoice

I wouldn't be surprised if it was

My mum had an amicable relationship with a fox that slept in the shed where she kept the rabbits
It would saunter out of a morning when she opened the door to feed the bunnies [1] and head off for the day. By all accounts she was a charming and inquisitive animal (the fox I mean)

-sd

[1] I say bunnies but they were minging incestuous miserable rejected pets that had ended up there because my mum had space
- fox sleeping in there probably didn't help their mood

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 17th, 2021, 11:18 am

We've had "pet" foxes for years, half a dozen regulars at the moment. We keep them well fed but the only presents we get are a few rather smelly ones on the lawn.

But they are scottish ones, so maybe they are less predisposed to giving stuff away for free ;)

--kiloran

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 17th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Urban foxes, your questions answered

Why do I keep losing things from my garden?
Foxes love to play, particularly with things that smell good – old shoes, dog chews, balls and gardening gloves are favourite items. The only solution is to ensure that you do not leave interesting play-things lying around your garden.

AiY

Return to “The Natural World”