Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bullfinch Feasts

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Bullfinch Feasts

Postby scotia » February 26th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Over the past few years the bloom on the Amelanchier tree (about 40 years old) seems to have declined, and we were wondering if it was now time to replace it. But we possibly now know the reason. Over a recent few days it has been visited by a pair of fat bullfinches who appear to have worked their way over the tree, eating the buds. And last year we noticed them (several pairs) doing the same, a bit later in the season, to a Japanese prunus (Kojo-No-Mai).
Yes - I know that I complained about various birds consuming the rowan berries, but at least I saw the blossom, and the partially ripened berries, before the lot were consumed. But bullfinches scoffing the buds before there's any chance of flowers and berries is a bit much :evil:
Is there any other bird food that would be more to their taste, and would attract them away from the buds? I have hanging bird feeders for sunflower kernels, peanuts and fat balls, along with ground feeding of grains. Or is it a lost cause - and I just need to admire the admittedly handsome bullfinches.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Re: Bullfinch Feasts

Postby NotSure » February 26th, 2022, 1:04 pm

Many (many) years ago, I worked on a fruit farm and bullfinches could destroy the apple and pear crops around the edges of orchards, where cover was nearby in adjacent woodland. Only thing that worked was netting or fleece, but very labour intensive. They are 'shy' - they would not come far from the woods, so maybe the suggestion in link below might be worth a try - hang some big, flappy plastic bags in the tree, just for the period the buds are vulnerable:

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/how-stop-birds-destroying-all-your-newly-emerging-fruit-crops

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 26th, 2022, 5:17 pm

NotSure wrote:Many (many) years ago, I worked on a fruit farm and bullfinches could destroy the apple and pear crops around the edges of orchards, where cover was nearby in adjacent woodland. Only thing that worked was netting or fleece, but very labour intensive. They are 'shy' - they would not come far from the woods, so maybe the suggestion in link below might be worth a try - hang some big, flappy plastic bags in the tree, just for the period the buds are vulnerable:

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/how-stop-birds-destroying-all-your-newly-emerging-fruit-crops

Thanks for the info - but I fear that my wife would veto any suggestion of hanging a plastic bag on our decorative trees :D
We live in a village in Central Scotland, with surrounding fields and woods, but its only in the past few years that we have noticed the bullfinches in our garden - in spring. Looking back over our 50 years of residence in this area, the most common garden finches were initially chaffinches, then greenfinches became dominant, and now goldfinches seem to be in the majority. They are all regular visitors at our feeders, but the bullfinches prefer our early budding decorative tree and bushes.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 30th, 2022, 12:57 pm

The bullfinches are (partially) forgiven. They left our Japanese prunus (Kojo-No-Mai) alone this year

But I'm now worrying about the frosts which are forecast over the next few days.
Already this year I covered our Rhodo Cilpinense with horticultural fleece during nights of frost - and it was partially successful, but I don't think I'll be allowed to cover the prunus- since its beside the pavement in our front garden. Who says that gardening lowers your stress levels?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » March 30th, 2022, 9:51 pm

scotia wrote:
NotSure wrote:Many (many) years ago, I worked on a fruit farm and bullfinches could destroy the apple and pear crops around the edges of orchards, where cover was nearby in adjacent woodland. Only thing that worked was netting or fleece, but very labour intensive. They are 'shy' - they would not come far from the woods, so maybe the suggestion in link below might be worth a try - hang some big, flappy plastic bags in the tree, just for the period the buds are vulnerable:

Thanks for the info - but I fear that my wife would veto any suggestion of hanging a plastic bag on our decorative trees :D
We live in a village in Central Scotland, with surrounding fields and woods, but its only in the past few years that we have noticed the bullfinches in our garden - in spring. Looking back over our 50 years of residence in this area, the most common garden finches were initially chaffinches, then greenfinches became dominant, and now goldfinches seem to be in the majority. They are all regular visitors at our feeders, but the bullfinches prefer our early budding decorative tree and bushes.

I get a very occasional bullfinch in my garden. My Amelanchia buds get eaten by woodpigeons, dozens of them. Luckily they don't seem to be attracted by apple and pear blossom.

Return to “The Natural World”