Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Rotary Mowers

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Rotary Mowers

Postby dealtn » April 26th, 2022, 12:37 pm

richlist wrote:A gardener (who just cuts the grass) at £12.50 every other Monday for 6 or 7 months of the year = less than £200 a year. That's around £300 less than the cost of a Honda mower and gives you around 15 hours of extra spare time.

But I guess some people actually enjoy cutting grass &/or like the exercise ?

I guess some people must have either cheaper gardeners or smaller gardens if £12.50 is the cost of a single visit.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 26th, 2022, 12:50 pm

richlist wrote:A gardener (who just cuts the grass) at £12.50 every other Monday for 6 or 7 months of the year = less than £200 a year. That's around £300 less than the cost of a Honda mower and gives you around 15 hours of extra spare time.

But I guess some people actually enjoy cutting grass &/or like the exercise ?

I have occasionally had my grass cut by the local guy, but he charges £30 to do it. My new mower cost me £320, self propelled. I reckon that is worth it especially if it lasts as long as my last one.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 26th, 2022, 1:16 pm

Yes I agree. Virtually all of my immediate neighbours....some of them are elderly....have a gardener cut their grass either weekly or fortnightly. Some of us have very large lawns but I prefer to do my own, whilst I'm able and I quite enjoy doing it.

From my experience & has already been mentioned it's usually the mower deck that rusts through. Best to cut the grass when it's dry or clean the underside of the deck especially before any winter storage. Some of the more expensive models have fibre glass decks to extend life.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 26th, 2022, 1:32 pm

richlist wrote:Yes I agree. Virtually all of my immediate neighbours....some of them are elderly....have a gardener cut their grass either weekly or fortnightly. Some of us have very large lawns but I prefer to do my own, whilst I'm able and I quite enjoy doing it.

From my experience & has already been mentioned it's usually the mower deck that rusts through. Best to cut the grass when it's dry or clean the underside of the deck especially before any winter storage. Some of the more expensive models have fibre glass decks to extend life.

You can give it a liberal spray with WD40 or silicon spray before you start (as with most "this I'll have to clean up" jobs). I believe there's stuff on the market specifically for the job but I've never bothered with it.

Return to “The Natural World”