Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Seagull nest that has 24-hour police protection

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Seagull nest that has 24-hour police protection

Postby Breelander » May 27th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Bridport police car out of action after seagull decides to nest on it....

A local police car has been put out of action after a pair of protected seagulls started nesting on its roof. Officers are unable to clear the clump of twigs and branches because - as they well know - it is illegal to damage or destroy a birds' nest under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Instead they have coned off the patrol car to keep members of the public away from it.
https://www.dorset.live/news/dorset-new ... on-7136041

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Seagull nest that has 24-hour police protection

Postby pje16 » May 27th, 2022, 2:33 pm

That's ridicluous
just checked it's not April 1st :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 27th, 2022, 3:30 pm

I'm sure the cones around the car will deter the local cats and foxes (and other assorted predators). :|

Not a chance. Clearly, the Bridport police are just gullable. :D

BJ

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 27th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Surely that's a mistake. I was told by DEFRA that I could download a licence from the internet which would enable me to remove a seagulls nest and it's occupants providing I could comply with the terms of the licence. Alternatively I could use a licenced contractor which I do annually for £40 a pop. Removing seagulls nests are a regular occurrence as I live on the coast.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 27th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Mike88 wrote:Surely that's a mistake. I was told by DEFRA that I could download a licence from the internet which would enable me to remove a seagulls nest and it's occupants providing I could comply with the terms of the licence....

The terms of the licence would appear to be...

... if it is done to prevent serious damage to agriculture, the spread of disease, to preserve public health and safety and air safety, or to conserve other wild birds.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... d-the-law/

"Simple nuisance or minor damage to property are not legally sanctioned reasons..." would seem to rule out Bridgewater police getting a licence.....

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 27th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Breelander wrote:
Mike88 wrote:Surely that's a mistake. I was told by DEFRA that I could download a licence from the internet which would enable me to remove a seagulls nest and it's occupants providing I could comply with the terms of the licence....

... if it is done to prevent serious damage to agriculture, the spread of disease, to preserve public health and safety and air safety, or to conserve other wild birds.

"Simple nuisance or minor damage to property are not legally sanctioned reasons..." would seem to rule out Bridgewater police getting a licence.....

You omitted to mention "safety" although your quote covered it. Seagulls nest with the purpose of having offspring and when that happens seagulls attack any human that goes anywhere near the nest, their eggs or chicks. I'm pretty sure the Police could legally get a licensed contractor to deal with this issue.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 28th, 2022, 8:20 am

Mike88 wrote:
Breelander wrote:

You omitted to mention "safety" although your quote covered it. Seagulls nest with the purpose of having offspring and when that happens seagulls attack any human that goes anywhere near the nest, their eggs or chicks. I'm pretty sure the Police could legally get a licensed contractor to deal with this issue.

Surely, under the heading of safety is not having the use of a police car. The World has gone PC animal loving mad.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 28th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:...Surely, under the heading of safety is not having the use of a police car.....

Apparently not....

A spokesman for Dorset Police said: "....As this is a spare vehicle, there are sufficient cars at the location to meet our operational requirements..."

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 28th, 2022, 5:38 pm

Breelander wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:...Surely, under the heading of safety is not having the use of a police car.....

Apparently not....

A spokesman for Dorset Police said: "....As this is a spare vehicle, there are sufficient cars at the location to meet our operational requirements..."

At a time when the public want to see bobbies on the beat or at least driving around, it is sad that they have a 'spare' vehicle. Is it just a common seagull? I would regard those as airborne vermin, not worthy of protection.

Return to “The Natural World”