Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Birds and leaf-guards

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Birds and leaf-guards

Postby stewamax » May 30th, 2022, 9:38 am

My house gutters are equipped with plastic leaf-guards (filters) where the downpipe running outlet joins. They work fine, stay in place throughout winter storms and prevent clumps of moss blocking the underground drainage pipe.

Correction: worked fine until … now … when five of them were seen on the ground below.
Wind? no.
Rain? no.
Birds? Yes, and I caught one pecking hard at the moss that accumulates around the leaf-guard on the guttering on a half-landing that I can watch from above and actually dislodging one.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Birds and leaf-guards

Postby bungeejumper » May 30th, 2022, 10:39 am

What kind of birds? Crows, pigeons? We've had pigeons patiently chewing their way through chicken wire :shock: when there's something on the other side that they fancy eating.

And as for the squirrels.... :|

BJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Birds and leaf-guards

Postby stewamax » May 30th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Pigeons, rooks and crows; it was a crow I actually saw.
Perhaps gathering moss for (presumably) nesting is safer in the sky than on my moss-ridden lawns, or perhaps they like drier moss: our lawns are on Leicestershire clay - impervious stuff that could be used for lining ponds and re-waterproofing Barbours.

Return to “The Natural World”