Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fox Deterrents

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Fox Deterrents

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 3:28 pm

Anyone got any experience with any form of fox deterrents?

There seems to be a variety of devices and chemicals available, but on reading reviews most have around an equal number of folks saying they work really well/don't work at all.... :?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fox Deterrents

Postby kempiejon » July 31st, 2022, 3:54 pm

Foxes
To discourage foxes from coming to your property you should:
secure food waste in bins
use fencing to protect pets and livestock from foxes
If the problem persists you can use the control methods set out in this guide, but you must not:
use gassing or poisoning
block or destroy fox earths if they are occupied

Shoot
You can shoot free foxes using a suitable firearm and ammunition.
You shouldn’t use firearms in urban areas for reasons of public safety.
The British Association for Shooting and Conservation has a code of practice on shooting foxes at night(lamping).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foxes-moles ... ht(lamping).

I have a selection of quadruped carnivores crapping on my lawns and digging in the veg garden and I'm looking for a deterrent I've tried chilli, pee and sticks and find prickly branches and fishing line OK, I've yet to try netting but heard that's good. I do not have pets or livestock

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » July 31st, 2022, 4:15 pm

We had a problem with badgers digging up our lawn a few years ago. A small electric fence cured the problem overnight. We are rural and there was no risk to people. It may not suit your situation.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 8:16 pm

kempiejon wrote:I have a selection of quadruped carnivores crapping on my lawns and digging in the veg garden and I'm looking for a deterrent I've tried chilli, pee and sticks and find prickly branches and fishing line OK, I've yet to try netting but heard that's good. I do not have pets or livestock

You put prickly branches on your lawns?! :o :D

I find they often like to dig and re-dig holes in the same places for a while, before moving on to somewhere else. I've had a case of that over the last few days with them repeatedly digging a hole in the same place each day, in a bed up against the building. I refill the hole and the next day it's there again.

I've put dead rose branch cuttings down (complete with thorns), which sometimes discourages them but this time they just pushed them aside and dug the hole again. So today I refilled it and bunged a couple of bricks on top. Experience shows that usually works, for that spot at least. And, if after some indeterminate amount of time, I take the bricks away they don't return to re-dig the same spot.

No luck with chilli? Pee? Not tried either myself. Not sure how fishing line works!?! Re netting, for your veg plot I imagine, chicken wire on a frame maybe but I'd imagine they're just flatten plastic netting. I surround my leafmould pile with chicken wire, in part to stop the leaves blowing away when new in autumn and also to stop the foxes spreading it everywhere later, and it often has dents and deformities where the foxes have clambered over it. In any case, while wire netting may be ok for the veg patch it doesn't really work for flower beds, roses, etc or stop them crapping over the lawns, the driveway and the paths!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 8:43 pm

Imbiber wrote:We had a problem with badgers digging up our lawn a few years ago. A small electric fence cured the problem overnight. We are rural and there was no risk to people. It may not suit your situation.

Not really suitable in suburban London, no! :D In any case, foxes are a lot more agile than badgers; think of them as akin to cats in that respect. I've seen them gracefully leap up to (and land on) the top of a 6ft high brick wall, and we occasionally see them sunbathing on the garage roof.

No, stopping their physical access isn't on. Sure, I've blocked or made less pleasant all the easier access points (including with a pile of dead brambles in one place) but there are just too many places where they can climb/leap over from the neighbours and, indeed, the street.

So, it's a case of making the place less desirable for them so they don't want to come here. The ideal would be if the sonic repellers worked but they get very mixed reviews and they're not so cheap to just try (although that may be what I'll have to do in the end)....

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » July 31st, 2022, 9:19 pm

Foxes are very agile, I watched one climb about 6 feet into a shrub to take squabs from a pigeon nest.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 31st, 2022, 9:39 pm

We get plenty of foxes and I've never found a deterrent that works, commercial or otherwise. Netting is of little use either. A fox can easily chew through chicken wire, as our neighbour's chickens can attest (at least, they would if they were still around!)

I find it tends to be the younger foxes that tend to cause problems, they are very inquisitive and playful, but grow out of it. The only problem with the older ones is when they bury food in small scrapes in the borders, but it's not a big problem.

I would focus on giving the foxes an easy alternative for their amusement. A toy that's tied to a stake, or some sacrifical tubing they can play with.

--kiloran

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 10:29 pm

kiloran wrote:We get plenty of foxes and I've never found a deterrent that works, commercial or otherwise. Netting is of little use either. A fox can easily chew through chicken wire, as our neighbour's chickens can attest (at least, they would if they were still around!)

Maybe so, but I suspect chicken wire to prevent foxes digging holes in and crapping over the veg patch will be more successful than same chicken wire to protect chickens. It's a matter of differing levels of incentive. :D

As a matter of interest (and elimination), which deterrents have you tried (and found not to work)?

kiloran wrote:I find it tends to be the younger foxes that tend to cause problems, they are very inquisitive and playful, but grow out of it. The only problem with the older ones is when they bury food in small scrapes in the borders, but it's not a big problem.

I would focus on giving the foxes an easy alternative for their amusement. A toy that's tied to a stake, or some sacrifical tubing they can play with.

Intriguing idea ... is this just an idea or have you heard of/seen it evidenced somewhere? And do you have a recommendation for the toy? I doubt the obvious choice of a plastic chicken would last very long! :D

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 1st, 2022, 8:09 am

Apparently trained fox hounds work very well by tearing the fox apart. Sounds a bit messy so instead I tried one of those ultrasonic deterents it's got a PIR that activates it when the animal gets close, runs on batteries and seems to work. I now don't get any foxes......or anything else for that matter.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 1st, 2022, 8:34 am

mc2fool wrote:So, it's a case of making the place less desirable for them so they don't want to come here. The ideal would be if the sonic repellers worked but they get very mixed reviews and they're not so cheap to just try (although that may be what I'll have to do in the end)....

We have been plagued in the past by squirrels, which are proliferating madly in our area, and which were causing enormous destruction in the garden. (Demolishing the bulbs and tree fruit, and churning up the lawns.) We've had complete success with this sonic repellent, which (unusually) allows you to set the frequency for the particular group of animals that are bothering you. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pestbye-Waterp ... B075XMS835).

So you can set it to deter rodents but not cats, or cats but not birds, or rodents but not birds, and so forth. (Ours doesn't seem to bother our garden birds at all.) However, foxes would be in pretty much the same group as cats or dogs, so you'd have to be careful not to drive next door's Fido to insanity. And sonic repellers don't belong anywhere near where bats, which are protected of course.

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 1st, 2022, 10:43 am

richlist wrote:Apparently trained fox hounds work very well by tearing the fox apart. Sounds a bit messy so instead I tried one of those ultrasonic deterents it's got a PIR that activates it when the animal gets close, runs on batteries and seems to work. I now don't get any foxes......or anything else for that matter.

OK! Two recommendations for sonic devices! Do you have a link for your particular one? And how long do the batteries last?

bungeejumper wrote:We have been plagued in the past by squirrels, which are proliferating madly in our area, and which were causing enormous destruction in the garden. (Demolishing the bulbs and tree fruit, and churning up the lawns.) We've had complete success with this sonic repellent, which (unusually) allows you to set the frequency for the particular group of animals that are bothering you. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pestbye-Waterp ... B075XMS835).

Thanks! I'm intrigued by the claim "Adjustable frequencies - allows product to be fine-tuned to the problem cat"! Uh? So they reckon you can tune it to repel Felix from number 3 but not Garfield from number 7?!? :o

Re being solar powered, sounds good but you have them in uninterrupted direct sunlight or more shady spots? 'Cos of lots of trees we have very little direct sunlight pretty much anywhere in our gardens.

Re squirrels and bulbs, aside from daffodils, which apparently squirrels don't like and we've never had a problem with them digging them up anyway, whenever I plant any bulbs I always put a wire mesh in the ground above them, just below the surface. Like https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma- ... 085_BQ.prd

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 1st, 2022, 11:05 am

mc2fool wrote:As a matter of interest (and elimination), which deterrents have you tried (and found not to work)?

I tried a couple of the liquid-based commercial repellants from garden centres many years ago, and they had no effect. Can't remember the brand. I've also read that human urine deters foxes, but no joy with that either (to my wife's great relief!)

mc2fool wrote:
kiloran wrote:I find it tends to be the younger foxes that tend to cause problems, they are very inquisitive and playful, but grow out of it. The only problem with the older ones is when they bury food in small scrapes in the borders, but it's not a big problem.

Intriguing idea ... is this just an idea or have you heard of/seen it evidenced somewhere? And do you have a recommendation for the toy? I doubt the obvious choice of a plastic chicken would last very long! :D

No, I've never tried it, just a bit of lateral thinking, using diversionary tactics rather than protection/deterrent.

I did some weeding in the garden yesterday and filled in a small scrape in one of the borders. It was back again this morning. Foxes are creatures of habit, we have two scrapes in the garden, always in the same places. No problem, it's minor damage.

--kiloran

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 1st, 2022, 11:32 am

mc2fool wrote:Thanks! I'm intrigued by the claim "Adjustable frequencies - allows product to be fine-tuned to the problem cat"! Uh? So they reckon you can tune it to repel Felix from number 3 but not Garfield from number 7?!? :o

Re being solar powered, sounds good but you have them in uninterrupted direct sunlight or more shady spots? 'Cos of lots of trees we have very little direct sunlight pretty much anywhere in our gardens.

It's best not to get too carried away by claims of complete accuracy when selecting a deterrent frequency, because there are quite big overlaps between groups of pests. (And apparently, if you select the lowest frequencies, children or teenagers might hear them as well. :( ) But, all things being equal, we've found that you can find frequencies that won't bother birds or household pets.

FWIW, the manufacturer's recommended frequency settings are as below. It would seem to suggest that frequency 6 ought to annoy a fox (and a squirrel), but not a dog or a cat. You'd need to experiment to find out whether this is true for your own situation?
Cats - Between 3 - 5
Dogs - Between 3 - 4
Foxes - Between 3 - 6
Squirrels Between 2 - 7
Rodents - Between 2 - 7
Insects - Between 2 - 7
Roaches - Between 9 - 11

How long do the batteries last? Most of a summer for standard AA batteries, or three months for rechargeables. But that would depend on how you set the sensitivity, of course. :)

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 1st, 2022, 11:42 am

bungeejumper wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Thanks! I'm intrigued by the claim "Adjustable frequencies - allows product to be fine-tuned to the problem cat"! Uh? So they reckon you can tune it to repel Felix from number 3 but not Garfield from number 7?!? :o

It's best not to get too carried away by claims of complete accuracy when selecting a deterrent frequency, because there are quite big overlaps between groups of pests. (And apparently, if you select the lowest frequencies, children or teenagers might hear them as well. :( ) But, all things being equal, we've found that you can find frequencies that won't bother birds or household pets.

FWIW, the manufacturer's recommended frequency settings are as below. It would seem to suggest that frequency 6 ought to annoy a fox (and a squirrel), but not a dog or a cat. You'd need to experiment to find out whether this is true for your own situation?
Cats - Between 3 - 5
Dogs - Between 3 - 4
Foxes - Between 3 - 6
Squirrels Between 2 - 7
Rodents - Between 2 - 7
Insects - Between 2 - 7
Roaches - Between 9 - 11

Yes, but I guess my concern is that if they can be "fine-tuned to the problem cat" and the range for foxes is 3-6, does that mean that if I set it to, say, 3 that will repel some foxes but not others, and if I set it to, say, 6, it will repel the ones that 3 doesn't but not the ones that 3 does?!?

bungeejumper wrote:How long do the batteries last? Most of a summer for standard AA batteries, or three months for rechargeables. But that would depend on how you set the sensitivity, of course. :)

Ummm...the one you linked to was solar powered! So you don't have that model but the battery powered equivalent then?

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » August 1st, 2022, 11:47 am

Barbed wire?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 1st, 2022, 11:57 am

mc2fool wrote:Yes, but I guess my concern is that if they can be "fine-tuned to the problem cat" and the range for foxes is 3-6, does that mean that if I set it to, say, 3 that will repel some foxes but not others, and if I set it to, say, 6, it will repel the ones that 3 doesn't but not the ones that 3 does?!?

LOL, you can get quite hung up on the precise detail of these things. It's well known that setting 5 will repel black and white cats, while 6 will be required for ginger toms, and nothing less than a 4 will see off a fox that's been listing to heavy metal music all night. Or maybe I made some of that up?
How long do the batteries last? Most of a summer for standard AA batteries, or three months for rechargeables. But that would depend on how you set the sensitivity, of course. :) [/quote]
Ummm...the one you linked to was solar powered! So you don't have that model but the battery powered equivalent then?

Oops, my mistake. :oops: The battery powered one is at https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Batter ... B004SGC75S, and a few quid cheaper.

Cheers

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 1st, 2022, 1:40 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Yes, but I guess my concern is that if they can be "fine-tuned to the problem cat" and the range for foxes is 3-6, does that mean that if I set it to, say, 3 that will repel some foxes but not others, and if I set it to, say, 6, it will repel the ones that 3 doesn't but not the ones that 3 does?!?

LOL, you can get quite hung up on the precise detail of these things. It's well known that setting 5 will repel black and white cats, while 6 will be required for ginger toms, and nothing less than a 4 will see off a fox that's been listing to heavy metal music all night. Or maybe I made some of that up?

LOL indeed, :D but they do claim it can be "fine-tuned to the problem cat" and in one of their blurbs they say:

"The PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller is designed so that you can alter the frequency of the device to target the specific problem feline causing you distress. The frequency dial adjust [sic] the sound emitted to enable you to maximise the effectiveness of the device. All cats are different, they have different hearing levels (depending on many factors including age / exposure to noise)."

So leading one to believe that, indeed, at some settings it may be effective against some foxes but not others (included heavy metal listening ones ;)).

OTOH that may just be a pre-excuse against returns. Wot, you say it doesn't work and you want your money back? But did you try tuning it to your particular fox mate?... :roll:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 1st, 2022, 3:22 pm

kiloran wrote:I would focus on giving the foxes an easy alternative for their amusement. A toy that's tied to a stake, or some sacrifical tubing they can play with.

Swingball?

Fox filmed playing swingball in back garden in Essex

BBC News

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 3rd, 2022, 9:15 am

The onion patch, which had until now been free of holes and turds had one of each this morning. The hole was best part of 10inches deep and round and a handful of onion bulbs were displaced. The bed next to it which only has a few bedding plants at the front both on of those had been dug up. The lawn had several shallow scappings too oh and one of the gang of local cats left me a message this morning too.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 3rd, 2022, 10:28 am

If you plant out yourself, in garden or allotment, one piece of advice vis-à-vis foxes is not to use bonemeal. Because they can smell it in the ground and dig looking for the bones.

Return to “The Natural World”