Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Cheap seed in Wilko

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Cheap seed in Wilko

Postby malkymoo » November 10th, 2022, 2:38 pm

I have just been in my local Wilkinson, and they are selling off all their plant seeds for 5p a packet. Not an enormous range, but plenty worth having.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Black Friday peanuts

Postby bungeejumper » November 22nd, 2022, 3:50 pm

Apologies for the thread hijack, malkymoo :D , but since we're talking Wilko, they're currently doing 12.75 kg of bird peanuts for £18.90, which is a good ten quid less than I'd been planning to spend elsewhere. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096BLV641 Every little helps. ;)

No idea about the quality, but the Amazon reviews give them 4.5 stars, and Wilko says that all its peanuts are aflotoxin tested, which is what really matters. Anyway, I've ordered one delivery and I might get another if they're OK.

The birds in our garden aren't hungry yet, because there are still plenty of berries and insects out there. But they're starting to hang around the place looking generally hopeful, so I might just crash the goodies before very long.

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Black Friday peanuts

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2022, 4:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
since we're talking Wilko, they're currently doing 12.75 kg of bird peanuts for £18.90, which is a good ten quid less than I'd been planning to spend elsewhere. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096BLV641 Every little helps. ;)

No idea about the quality, but the Amazon reviews give them 4.5 stars, and Wilko says that all its peanuts are aflotoxin tested, which is what really matters. Anyway, I've ordered one delivery and I might get another if they're OK.

The birds in our garden aren't hungry yet, because there are still plenty of berries and insects out there. But they're starting to hang around the place looking generally hopeful, so I might just crash the goodies before very long.

We bought a 12.75kg bag of peanuts from a local Wilko's a few weeks ago, and our garden birds go mad for them.

I'm a fan of the Wilko poultry manure pellets as well, and always make sure we keep a few empty clean tubs back for garage-storage due to the size of the bag. The peanuts keep well over the winter and, as you say, are good value compared to other stockists.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2022, 4:12 pm

bungeejumper wrote:No idea about the quality, but the Amazon reviews give them 4.5 stars, and Wilko says that all its peanuts are aflotoxin tested, which is what really matters. Anyway, I've ordered one delivery and I might get another if they're OK.

Just to say that the delivery arrived today and it all looks fine. I'll order another lot at this price. :)

BJ

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 23rd, 2022, 4:24 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I'll order another lot at this price. :)

BJ

Rather fits the idea that Wilko are in a lot of trouble, gardening stuff is not worth much to them if they won't be trading after Christmas... Allegedly they're looking at a CVA :
https://www.companyrescue.co.uk/guides- ... lity-4823/

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Cheap seed in Wilko

Postby Itsallaguess » October 30th, 2023, 8:34 am

I thought I'd come back to this thread given the recent very sad demise of the Wilko chain, and say that we've recently bought a 12.55kg bag of peanuts from our local B&M store, and we're very happy with them -

Glennwood Bird Peanuts 12.55kg (£19.99) -

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/glennwood-bird-peanuts-12-55kg-330684

Our previous large bags from Wilko were of the 'whole peanut' variety, and this similarly sized and priced bag from B&M are 'split peanuts', but we've actually noticed that these split peanuts seem to attract more small birds, presumably due to them having more 'nibble opportunities' on the readily available split-peanut edges now lining our normal 'wire-cage' type feeder.

Anyway, I've no doubt that there's a few of us here who used to buy Wilko's great value bird-seed, so I thought I'd just come back to this year-old thread and say that B&M look to be a good-value alternative, so long as you're happy buying the larger bags where the better value lies.

We've also bought a similarly sized bag of Sunflower Hearts from B&M as well, which is slightly more expensive at £23.99 for 12.5kg (https://tinyurl.com/3nuvu2ud), which our chaffinches absolutely adore, so with those two bags and a supply of the suet-blocks (https://tinyurl.com/5a2yxnh7), that'll probably help feed our garden birds over the coming winter without breaking the bank with the more expensive smaller quantities of seed.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cheap seed in Wilko

Postby mutantpoodle » November 3rd, 2023, 9:30 am

staying with a WILKO theme

has anyone found an alternate source for the suet blocks of wildbird seed
WILKO have them at 6 for £4...(often on offer)

the birds in my garden just love these but they much more expensive elsewhere

Return to “The Natural World”