Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Trunk problem

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Trunk problem

Postby Novoiceleft » May 3rd, 2023, 1:57 pm

I have a fairly unusual problem - wondering if there are any helpful ideas out there.

Through moving house, I inherited a large (expensive-looking) "ali-baba" tall garden pot, with an attractive palm-type shrub in it.

The palm thing has died over the winter (just like all the stories in the previous post), and I would like to get the shrub roots out.

Turns out - this was not a shrub at all - instead, I have uncovered a tree trunk which is buried inside the tall pot. Maybe it was a yukka?

I dont want to break the pot or lose it. Apart from anything else it is too heavy to lift or move. So far I have used a hacksaw to saw into the accessible wooden trunk which is pretty hard going. But I still cannot dislodge the trunk and I have sawn down as far as my wrists can bend. I guess there is still about 2-3 feet of it below the soil line.

Any ideas how to get this thing out?

NoVoice

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Trunk problem

Postby mc2fool » May 3rd, 2023, 2:20 pm

Hmmm ... turn the pot upside down to try and shake out all the soil, then go at the stump with a small chain saw?

Alternatively, if you have the patience, you can try one of these ideas and just let it rot away, eventually. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+promote+stump+rot

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 3rd, 2023, 2:21 pm

Novoiceleft wrote:I have a fairly unusual problem - wondering if there are any helpful ideas out there.

Through moving house, I inherited a large (expensive-looking) "ali-baba" tall garden pot, with an attractive palm-type shrub in it.

The palm thing has died over the winter (just like all the stories in the previous post), and I would like to get the shrub roots out.

Turns out - this was not a shrub at all - instead, I have uncovered a tree trunk which is buried inside the tall pot. Maybe it was a yukka?

I dont want to break the pot or lose it. Apart from anything else it is too heavy to lift or move. So far I have used a hacksaw to saw into the accessible wooden trunk which is pretty hard going. But I still cannot dislodge the trunk and I have sawn down as far as my wrists can bend. I guess there is still about 2-3 feet of it below the soil line.

Any ideas how to get this thing out?

NoVoice

I'm not entirely clear. Is the trunk part of the palm (now deceased)? Or is it a genuine tree trunk of solid wood underneath?
I don't think it is an easy problem to solve if it is solid wood. It might take a few years to rot, but try drilling big deep holes in it, and keeping moist (not wet) to help fungi break it down.
If it's just the trunk/root of the palm, I think it should rot quite quickly.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 3rd, 2023, 2:35 pm

It's hard to visualise exactly what you have Infront of you.

I'm assuming the pot is above ground itself? (But over 3' high)
Have you got rough dimensions? Materials involved? Is there much clearance around this stump?

For what I am imagining I would be tempted to flood it
- turn whatever soil is in there to slurry and if that doesn't let you pull it out... keep going, flush out the soil and you might find what's left floats

Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Postby Novoiceleft » May 3rd, 2023, 2:51 pm

Thanks for these helpful replies.

The pot is above ground and 32 inches high and only 8 inches diameter at the neck - it bulbs out (ali-baba style) below the neck.

I have managed to saw away the trunk from the top, down to a level of 10 inches under the neck. I can still see a 4 inch diameter trunk, which is rather hard wood to saw. So there is something like 22 inches of trunk or root that I cannot see or dislodge.

This ali-baba pot is lovely and would probably cost about £60 in a garden centre new.

The pot is so heavy, I cannot lift it. Nor is anything likely to drop out if I did manage to get it upside down.

Can you buy stuff that will encourage the trunk to rot? I believe the pot has a hole in the bottom, so any liquid will eventually drain out.

Yes - a very long drill bit could work

NoVoice

Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Postby Novoiceleft » May 3rd, 2023, 2:54 pm

Sorry - just seen the links from mc2fool, which answer my own question "Can you buy stuff that will encourage the trunk to rot?"

Thanks for that

NoVoice

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 3rd, 2023, 3:27 pm

Fungi will rot wood eventually, you can encourage this by adding something nitrogenous to the pot. Urine would work well, especially as you say the pot has a hole at the bottom. Collect your pee in a watering can and add often enough to keep the pot contents wet. If you can drill holes in the wood that would hasten the rotting.

RC

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 3rd, 2023, 5:21 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Fungi will rot wood eventually, you can encourage this by adding something nitrogenous to the pot. Urine would work well, especially as you say the pot has a hole at the bottom. Collect your pee in a watering can and add often enough to keep the pot contents wet. If you can drill holes in the wood that would hasten the rotting.

RC

Why the need for a watering can? The pot is 32 inches high, so a direct application should be easy enough, perhaps standing on tiptoe if the OP is vertically challenged. :lol:
doolally

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 3rd, 2023, 5:36 pm

How about leave the remaining stump in the pot, after having removed as much of the surrounding old soil as possible. Pack the voids to the top with fresh compost and then plant it with some nice trailing petunias or whatever summer plants take your fancy. The volume of the stump will save some money on compost filling.
By the following spring the stump may have rotted a bit more. If not repeat...

Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Postby Novoiceleft » May 3rd, 2023, 5:49 pm

"Why the need for a watering can?"

Excellent idea. The pot is tempingly just outside my lounge window, and nearer the sofa than the downstairs loo. So I could save my old legs a few trips :lol: :lol:

Yes I have enough room at the top to put some pot and trailing plants, and next year I could make further progress downwards.

NoVoice

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 3rd, 2023, 5:54 pm

Are you sure the remaining trunk is dead? Topping up with soil and planting in the top could lead to a surprise if a tree starts sprouting out in the middle of it. ;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 4th, 2023, 5:01 am

Novoiceleft wrote: a very long drill bit could work

I'm thinking this would be a useful approach; even if it's just to auger what's there so that the surface area of whatever rotting agent is applied is increased.
you should be able to pick up a 40cm masonry bit for not very much and it would at least tell you if the trunk goes further than that

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 4th, 2023, 8:38 am

servodude wrote:you should be able to pick up a 40cm masonry bit for not very much and it would at least tell you if the trunk goes further than that

Yes, but take it easy with the rev count, and give the drill plenty of rest breaks. My experiences with using masonry bits on wood (naughty naughty) is that first they throw up an awful lot of smoke, and then they either burn out and break, or they (and the drill) start to melt. :oops:

One of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-auge ... 00mm/2635V might do better?

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 5th, 2023, 7:38 pm

bungeejumper wrote:One of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-auge ... 00mm/2635V might do better?

BJ

I have an auger bit like this, but I use it with a hand brace drill. Is it possible to use them with an electric drill?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 5th, 2023, 7:45 pm

Or one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/flat-wood-dr ... 00mm/3152v (although 10cm shorter, it’s an inch wide).
Yes, the auger can be used with an electric drill, but note you’ll need a chuck that’ll take the 13mm shank.

Return to “The Natural World”