Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Hostas

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Hostas

Postby Dicky99 » May 11th, 2023, 7:39 pm

I got fed up of a couple of hostas sprouting forth from the ground at this time of year and then getting eaten to bits in a matter of weeks so this year as soon as they emerged from the ground I dug them up and potted them in a tall splayed pot with roll top.
I thought the shape of the pot would stop snails accessing the plant. So I'm dismayed to see it's being savaged again and when I parted the leaves there are lots of snails in residence.
Is there something none controversial I can spray on the plant to protect it and once it has become ragged is there any wayvback from that?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Hostas

Postby mc2fool » May 11th, 2023, 8:15 pm

A copper tape around the pot supposedly works, as apparently does sharp sand around the base. https://www.urbanundergrowth.co.uk/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-and-snails-in-the-garden-using-copper/

Or you could try an electric fence! Or just a DIY version, e.g. two loops of bare wire round the pot with a PP3 9v battery across them...

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 11th, 2023, 10:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:A copper tape around the pot supposedly works, as apparently does sharp sand around the base. https://www.urbanundergrowth.co.uk/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-and-snails-in-the-garden-using-copper/

Or you could try an electric fence! Or just a DIY version, e.g. two loops of bare wire round the pot with a PP3 9v battery across them...

Thanks, I had a look at some of the reviews. certainly some positive comments amongst them. What always surprises and perplexes me is how often people review an item along the lines of "too early to tell if it works yet..." So why the *!#*!! are you reviewing it now then!!!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 11th, 2023, 11:20 pm

My understanding (as a not especially interested gardener) is its slugs that eat them not snails. And the slugs bury themselves under the earth during the daytime so you probably transferred them to your pots along with the hostas!

I too have hostas and this year I sprinkled slug pellets around them the second they sprouted and so far no slug devastation, unlike all previous years.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 12th, 2023, 5:44 am

Mike4 wrote:My understanding (as a not especially interested gardener) is its slugs that eat them not snails. And the slugs bury themselves under the earth during the daytime so you probably transferred them to your pots along with the hostas!

I too have hostas and this year I sprinkled slug pellets around them the second they sprouted and so far no slug devastation, unlike all previous years.

Homeless snails?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 12th, 2023, 8:09 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:My understanding (as a not especially interested gardener) is its slugs that eat them not snails. And the slugs bury themselves under the earth during the daytime so you probably transferred them to your pots along with the hostas!

Homeless snails?

A slug goes into a police station and says to the desk sergeant: "I want to report a crime. I've just been attacked and robbed in the park by two snails".

Desk sergeant: "Can you give me description of these snails, sir?"

Slug: "No sorry I didn't get a good look at them, it all happened too fast."

Return to “The Natural World”