Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Caught in the act

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Caught in the act

Postby Leothebear » September 6th, 2023, 6:46 am

I had to wipe my eyes this morning because I thought I must be seeing things. On a 6ft fence, 20ft from my kitchen window were three pigeons having a threesome. I know these birds are some of the randiest creatures there are but a three way is a first for me. Then I realised that one wasn't even a woodpigeon but a stock dove! The dove was male because he mated with one of the woodies.

Anyone else seen such outrageous behaviour?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Caught in the act

Postby bungeejumper » September 7th, 2023, 10:19 am

Yes, we've seen it in our garden fairly often, although not the kinky wife-sharing arrangement with a different species. The pidges around these parts do it while balanced on an overhead power cable, which I suppose must give them an extra thrill? The males are practically queuing up for it; the females make a bit of fuss about not wanting it, but then give in with somewhat indecent haste, the hussies. ;)

It's long been known that many/most female birds (excluding albatrosses, swans and storks) are up for a bit of hanky-panky whenever their main man isn't around. Or sometimes, when he is. I gather that blackbirds, those perennial symbols of garden domesticity, are particularly fond of a bit of mixing and matching on the quiet. Oh well, I suppose it keeps the gene pool refreshed?

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”