Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Goodbye old girl.

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Goodbye old girl.

Postby redsturgeon » September 10th, 2023, 10:55 am

It was more than 17 years ago my 9 year old daughter started badgering me to buy her a dog for her birthday, I protested saying they were a big responsibility and needed lots of care and walks and someone to look after them when we went on holiday and anyway her 5 year old brother was afraid of dogs but eventually I succumbed to the family pressure and a little bundle of fluffy joy was brought home and named Roxy.

She was a rough, tough, playful Parson Russell Terrier and everyone loved her. Immediately my 5 year old son's fear of dogs disappeared and my daughter took her out for walks with her friends every day...for the first week or so!

I of course became the main dog walker, feeder, carer etc but it got me out of the house and she even ran alongside my off road bike when I couldn't be bothered to walk. One day she even walked from Salisbury to Winchester with me, 26 miles for me and closer to 50 for her after chasing pheasants and squirrels.

She had three litters of pups, sixteen in total, we kept the last one Juno, who is still our family pet and over 10 years old now, she was a great mum to them all until it was time to let them go.

Then 10 years ago my parents, in their 80s and both in poor health, lost their beloved Jack Russell and were torn between wanting a new companion and realising the stress of a new puppy would be too much. We offered Roxy to them, they were dubious but grateful and it was the best thing that happened for them. My mum had a new lease of life cooking fresh chicken every day for Roxy, while my dad, recently diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer found renewed energy to walk her three times a day up to 6 miles in total. The pair of them became a real feature of their village for the next decade.

Roxy outlived them both and when, first my mum then my dad died in the last couple of years she came back to live with us. Now a stately old lady whose girth had expanded due to my mum's cooking, despite my dad's attempt to walk off the calories, she quickly settled in and renewed her acquaintance with her daughter. She was now quite deaf, couldn't see much through her cataracts but was still game for a slow sedate stroll around her old neighbourhood. She didn't see or hear well but still smelled...that's old dogs for you I suppose.

She became a welcome sight locally among the dog walkers here, usually following about 20 yards behind Juno and me. Often, if she was out of sight when I met a fellow dog walker they would look worried and check that she was still with us (in both senses).

Three days ago she went off her food, that night and the next she woke me three or four times to go out into the garden where she wandered aimlessly for 20 minutes before settling again. Yesterday morning we had found her hidden away in a tight spot by our fence as if she was looking for a safe place to die.

I held her all morning , stroked her gently and felt her draw her last breath at 1pm, she had given so much to our family, it was the least I could do in return. She now lies at rest in a wicker basket under the flower bed at the end of our lawn. I will be looking for an Acer to plant above her grave so the roots can enclose her and in death her body can nourish another beautiful living thing we can admire from our kitchen as we look out over the garden and remember all she gave to us.

She was a good old girl.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Goodbye old girl.

Postby Leothebear » September 10th, 2023, 3:51 pm

Seems that Roxy had a full and fun life with people who loved her.
It's always rather heart breaking when the time comes.
Best wishes
Leo

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 10th, 2023, 6:17 pm

Sad news, but here's a nice memory for all of us....
viewtopic.php?p=141856#p141856

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 10th, 2023, 6:19 pm

kiloran wrote:Sad news, but here's a nice memory for all of us....

I suspect that might be Juno, given the timeline above. Nice looking dogs though.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 11th, 2023, 10:43 am

swill453 wrote:
kiloran wrote:Sad news, but here's a nice memory for all of us....

I suspect that might be Juno, given the timeline above. Nice looking dogs though.

Scott.

Yes that is indeed Juno.

John

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 12th, 2023, 3:14 am

redsturgeon wrote:I held her all morning , stroked her gently and felt her draw her last breath at 1pm, she had given so much to our family, it was the least I could do in return...

Sorry for your loss, but at least she passed away naturally at home with family.
That was how I said farewell to my old canine companion too. That was some 20 years ago now but I still miss him.

Return to “The Natural World”