Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Tame wildlife

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Tame wildlife

Postby kiloran » December 4th, 2023, 3:53 pm

We've had a few mice in the house lately, so I got some wire mesh to put over the air vents at the base of the outside walls in case they were a point of entry. I was stooping down fixing the mesh to one of the vents at the front of the house and I was aware of something behind me. Turned around and there was a wee fox standing looking at me, no more than a metre away! It was completely unfazed by my presence. I beckoned it to follow me round to the back door, and it followed me like a little dog. I went inside to get a few bits of chicken for it and tossed them out while it was right up against the door. It took no interest in the chicken, but kept getting up on its hind legs to look for me through the sunlounge windows. After 5 minutes, it just trotted off, ignoring its tit-bits.

Really weird, never seen such a tame fox before. It's certainly not one of regulars, it had a very distinctive dark face. We did have a regular with a dark face 2-3 years ago, I wonder if it was the same one. But so strange that it was uninterested in the food in this cold snowy weather.

--kiloran

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Tame wildlife

Postby XFool » December 6th, 2023, 7:41 pm

kiloran wrote:Really weird, never seen such a tame fox before. It's certainly not one of regulars, it had a very distinctive dark face. We did have a regular with a dark face 2-3 years ago, I wonder if it was the same one. But so strange that it was uninterested in the food in this cold snowy weather.

Puzzling. But it did remind me of when I used to feed foxes on an allotment (Weren't supposed to! They wanted them lean and mean to keep the rats down). Despite the fact that foxes use scent to find food I remember once having quite a hard time getting one fox to pick up his/her piece of chicken. It kept advancing towards me while ignoring the chicken on the ground. In the end I had to position myself so, as it advanced towards me, its line of advance took it straight over the chicken.

Return to “The Natural World”