Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

How to increase productivity

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

How to increase productivity

Postby Bouleversee » September 26th, 2022, 12:18 pm

From the Telegraph todayi:

"NatWest has told its male bankers that they can take a full year off when they become a father, as it races to reinvent itself as more family friendly. The bank will next year introduce a policy that allows all new parents to take up to a year off regardless of their gender, of which half will be fully paid. Equal paid parental leave is increasingly common, but NatWest is unusual in offering fathers a full year off. - Telegraph".

That should do the trick. At it, boys! :lol:

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: How to increase productivity

Postby Hallucigenia » September 26th, 2022, 5:48 pm

Finland has 14 month paid shared between the two parents, Sweden has 240 days each - doesn't seem to hurt their productivity. South Korea and Japan have a year I think, not all paid. And in general that's the way the world is moving - if that''s the kind of terms that the best talent requires, then it's usually better to have good people on generous terms rather than second-raters always in the office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51384614

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » October 18th, 2022, 12:28 am

Graduates upon reaching £20K+ (or thereabouts) are taxed (student loan interest rate that accelerates ahead of inflation) at 20% tax, 12% NI, 9% student tax. Incentive to only work part time.

With a ageing population, increasing cost of pensions/care arising out of the baby boomers reaching their 70's/80's/90's over the next decade+, the positive real yields of the 1970 - 2010 (baby boomer accumulation years) is perhaps destined to 'mean-revert' as those baby boom accumulators turn to drawdown/deaccumulation.

Instead of Truss' idea of lowering taxes for the rich, it would be better to lower the taxes for the 20 something year old graduates, who without high taxes might be more inclined to be more productive/work longer hours.

Otherwise if you're at your £20K/year limit and the boss asks you to work a extra half day, perhaps at a £13/hour gross rate, barely £7.50/hour net rate, many I suspect would be more inclined to not bother. Four more hours, £7.50 single/each way journey costs to work 4 hours for a total £15 in their pocket net ... nah! ... "£3.75/hour in me pocket ... you're having a laugh".

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 18th, 2022, 7:22 am

1nvest wrote:Instead of Truss' idea of lowering taxes for the rich, it would be better to lower the taxes for the 20 something year old graduates, who without high taxes might be more inclined to be more productive/work longer hours.

Otherwise if you're at your £20K/year limit and the boss asks you to work a extra half day, perhaps at a £13/hour gross rate, barely £7.50/hour net rate, many I suspect would be more inclined to not bother. Four more hours, £7.50 single/each way journey costs to work 4 hours for a total £15 in their pocket net ... nah! ... "£3.75/hour in me pocket ... you're having a laugh".

A small point (and I'm not disputing anything you say above) but let's be careful not to confuse being more productive with working longer hours. What we really need is people who can make our economy more productive and not necessarily work longer hours.
I've just thought of my old boss who once turned to me and said his incentive for finding more efficient ways of doings things was that he was lazy :)

Arb.

Return to “Banking Sector”